Hepco and Becker racks for Laverdas going away?

AndyW said:
Hi Lothar,
Are you able to confirm what year/model the bike is that your friend has supplied to H&B for measuring (or even who he is so we can get the guy at H&B [Matthias Dzemski] to call him direct)? I'm getting pretty fed up about endless talk about RGS racks which isn't what Ken and I are after and don't really give a monkey's about.. thanks!
Andyw ::) ::)

Hi Andy,

I contacted him (Hans-Joachim...?) and asked if he could get in touch with Matthias or at least let me know whom he is talking to, what year the bike is (IIRC 1975) etc.  As soon as he answers, I'll let you know.

Laverdalothar said:
Hi Andy,
I contacted him (Hans-Joachim...?) and asked if he could get in touch with Matthias or at least let me know whom he is talking to, what year the bike is (IIRC 1975) etc.  As soon as he answers, I'll let you know.
I think a '75 model frame will be fine as I can switch my GearSack rack between  my Mirage and either of my early 3Cs '73 or '74 and the fitment is fine on each..
rgds: AndyW 8) 

Good clear pics there, Grant. Thanks for that. Are those the 'Junior' panniers? 30L each?

A Gearsack seat bag predates Ventura rack bags and the former is 100% stronger than the feeble Ventura system. My Rack has a removable Gearsack hoop that I used for years, but getting your leg past isn't easy. I used to grab my toes and do a Rossy over the tank front, till that got too hard. So the Gearsack hook came off and now I exclusively use Soft Bags and a dry bag over them and the seat if I need more space. The Gearsack would be used in front of the hoop on the pillion seat, better weight distrubution.

Good clear pics there, Grant. Thanks for that. Are those the 'Junior' panniers? 30L each?
[/quote]

Andy, have a look at this mobs site, based in Wodonga. Hepco dealer and a lot of other gear  8)
?Motorcycle adventure products?

Thanks Hooksey!
From the look of it Grant?s are indeed the 30L ?Juniors? as fitted to ?classic? (airhead) BMWs  :eek: :eek:
They?ll suit my purposes just fine: just need to ensure H&B Germany make the right frames for the older triples and not those new fangled RGS type things... ::) ::)

AndyW said:
Thanks Hooksey!
From the look of it Grant?s are indeed the 30L ?Juniors? as fitted to ?classic? (airhead) BMWs  :eek: :eek:
They?ll suit my purposes just fine: just need to ensure H&B Germany make the right frames for the older triples and not those new fangled RGS type things... ::) ::)

Andy, the cases in Grant's pic are old Krausers, which preceded the H&B kit. I don't know whether they're readily compatible for the H&B frames or if modifications are required - I'm sure Grant can confirm.

The cases in my pic are H&B Junior (30 litre) - on the RGS, Laverda's ultimate sports tourer :D

Mine fit the H&B frames perfectly.
Note there are 2 types of retaining systems, mine was the older 'seat belt' type fitting.

I think H&B took over Krauser at some point and H&B's Krauser repros are called 'Classics'

So.. it seems if I want a pannier supporting frame with a rear carry rack I need to buy the one for the RGS as the one for the series-1 frames doesn't have it. How different is the upper frame geometry of an RGS compared to the earlier series frames? I don't mind doing as mall cut & shut on the brace down to the footpeg but I really don't want to get into butchering the main part of the carry frame which is likely to be required if nothing lines up at all.
ken has mentioned that the latest versions of the rack bring the panniers forward significantly to the point where carrying a pillion becomes impossible: anyone else able to confirm that?
thanks.

Having made the conversion from RGS to 180 frame as detailed above I don't recommend it unless you have proper welding skills and have the finished pieces re-powder coated.
I had to weld on a bracket that went from lower front corner of the pannier frame back to the passenger footpeg mount.
I also had to bend the upper front mount position to fit.
The top mount was unique on mine as I have no twin-shock mounts (as it's a monoshock) and was able to fab something up onto the bare frame, probably not easily done with the shock mounts in the way.
There are no points in common between RGS and 180 frames, especially around where the panniers would mount to.

Thanks Grant: very useful info. I can weld and have a small mig welder, however, I don't have a workshop as such (just a floor and some hammers... ::)).

Have a crack Andy, be even more rewarding when she?s up n running  8)

If you use an RGs rack on a 78 3cl frame with upright shocks ??
You will use top shock mount, then you will have to extend a supplied hnb brkt by rnd 160mm to pick up seat frame tubes squashed ends. You will have rnd 200mm of rack overhanging the ducktail !
Vice/ hammer/welder/rattle can of black/ and some enginuity.  ;)

Be aware that the 'current' H&B pannier frames (produced as a one off order in 2012/13 as in my earlier photos) do not fit Krauser hard cases. You'd be hard pushed to spot the ~3mm difference without putting one on top of t'other.  Close, but no cigar!

Attachments

• 1. Krauser pannier with H&B frame nearly fits .jpg
    1. Krauser pannier with H&B frame nearly fits .jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 2. H&B frame on top of Krauser frame .jpg
    2. H&B frame on top of Krauser frame .jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 3. Old H&B frame fits Krauser pannier.jpg
    3. Old H&B frame fits Krauser pannier.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 50
I can see Grant's photos but not Rob's. Embedded images linked to another URL is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. Loading pictures as attachments seems more reliable, even though it uses up forum storage capacity.

Grant's pannier frames are nicely over-engineered. They should hold together on corrugated dirt roads. The only improvement I'd make would be to weld the strut that goes to the passenger footrest mount, rather than use a single bolt to attach it to the pannier frame.

Back