Hepco and Becker racks for Laverdas going away?

16mm is safer. Never see 16mm much there days, its been a while since I worked in 68 story buildings. Not easy to bend

I couldn't contain myself, I would be adding bits to make it perfect. There are always ways to improve these racks, Improve the way the bags hold on or make them easier to come off. As close as possible to the bike and still open the seat. As low as possible and still clear the muffler. Adding adjustably to move the bags forward or back to fit pillions or not. Forward would improve handling, weight in front of the rear axial. Ease of completely removing it all without pulling the shocks. And how could I live without internal lighting and a refrigerated section to keep drinks cold. More fun for all.

mcnicol said:

Nice simple looking rack for the 180 Ken  8) and doesn?t utilise the top shock mount..... bonus!

Hooksey, you looked closer than me, you're right, doesn't use either upper shock mount. That may change for me, I have an unused "vertical" upper shock mount that the rack must pass within a few centimetres of. With 40 litre bags I'd like to be able to carry more than just 10 kg per bag, which is what H&B specify.

Ken

Same here (say to ~12-13kg) and I might ask to see if they can resurrect the rear carry rack section which is somewhere to stash light stuff like a tent or similar and will likely add a little lateral rigidity.

Lothar: any sign of your pal yet?

AndyW 8)

I actually have a quite substantial rear grab bar/rack that came on the bike, and may be usable with the H&B rack. Also doesn't use the "vertical" shock mount. It looks terrible right now, needs some welding and rechroming, but should help to make my firebreathing Jota into a tourer  :D.

Ken

mcnicol said:
Hooksey, you looked closer than me, you're right, doesn't use either upper shock mount.

That's poor design. It relies on the grab rail for support. A design which assumes the grab rail is of decent wall thickness and strength. Who knows if it's up to the job? Also not hot helpful if you don't have a grab rail. I've found that a lot of commercially available luggage frames and racks have questionable support. That's why I prefer to make my own that attach to strong points on the frame.

Back