Hepco and Becker racks for Laverdas going away?

AndyW said:
Same here (say to ~12-13kg) and I might ask to see if they can resurrect the rear carry rack section which is somewhere to stash light stuff like a tent or similar and will likely add a little lateral rigidity.

Lothar: any sign of your pal yet?

AndyW 8)

Hi Andy,
sent him a PM roughly 2 weeks ago, he did not even read it yet (new to the forum, so maybe he is not aware of it, not sure...).

I posted the request now publicly and hope he answers now. Sorry for the delay...

This is so funny, it's not like there are heaps of mounting points available. Upper shock mount, rear guard mount behind the seat and muffler mount. And it's best to use them all. The 2 shock mounts is an issue so maybe they could make a mount that can be used for both and you can cut what's not used off. Over the years I have seen lots of this stuff brake, the first was the frame on a Norton twin that broke off behind the shock mounts, hardly much weight or a lot of gear and that broke. Lots of modern Adventure bikes need the subframe reinforced to take equipment loads. If you only use smooth roads but we mainly get off into the boonies and add some bouncing and stuff brakes

WTF are you blokes putting in your panniers..... 10kg dumbells.

Max load should be a Slab some jocks n socks, pair of strides and some brothel creepers  :LOL:

There's a weight limit for a reason.
And it's not just the capacity of the panniers.

motoddrob said:
Is that guy welding with sun glasses :eek: I only thought they did that in Asia

What works in Asia works in Morocco, Rob  :p

Welding, Nepali-style (no Laverda content)...

Attachments

• IMG_20191110_104345-01.jpg
    IMG_20191110_104345-01.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 83
Laverdalothar said:
The German Forum fellow replied that he will not be able to make it before June at least, possibly even later. Sorry, gents.

Hi Lothar, that's fine for me; June is less than 3 weeks away and July will soon be on us too: I can wait. Would rather wait and ensure they get it right than piss about cutting/shutting/botching afterwards..

Hmm. Herpco & Becker sent me an image of their in-stock single item of a 3c rack, and it clearly DOES mount to a top shock mount. But it's clearly a different rack from the one that I posted the images of, which clearly DOESN'T attach to a top shock mount. Neither one seems to have a rack behind the seat.
So I don't know what I'll be getting. I may have to spend even more money on modifying it to suit my actual needs better. Hooksey, I'm planning on travelling with the wife, short slow day stages but quite long trips (Blue Ridge Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, northern California through the redwoods, stuff like that) and we'll be on the road quite a while. And she's pretty good but needs more than a change of underwear.

Ken

mcnicol said:
Hmm. Herpco & Becker sent me an image of their in-stock single item of a 3c rack, and it clearly DOES mount to a top shock mount. But it's clearly a different rack from the one that I posted the images of, which clearly DOESN'T attach to a top shock mount. Neither one seems to have a rack behind the seat.
So I don't know what I'll be getting. I may have to spend even more money on modifying it to suit my actual needs better. Hooksey, I'm planning on travelling with the wife, short slow day stages but quite long trips (Blue Ridge Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, northern California through the redwoods, stuff like that) and we'll be on the road quite a while. And she's pretty good but needs more than a change of underwear.

Ken

Sounds like a pearler of a tour Ken  8) They are good travelling companions the Hugs n kisses !
Especially when you arrive at your destination, and whilst you knock the top off a stubby, they are handy at erecting the tent  :D. Can be trained up to travel light also !
Have a blast Ken  8)

Ken hope you get set up to do some on the ride reports and pics, sounds fanbloodytastic. One of the Sydney blokes and his Mrs is doing similar sometime in the future, he has a GS bought over there ready to go.

Vince well it'll be soon but we're going to have to be careful, we're both over 65 and Americans only wear masks if they're Democrats, so particularly in rural areas (where we'll be a lot) the risk of getting the bug is very high. The state governments also don't test anybody so half the population can get infected before anybody notices.
But will be happy to document these trips, we'll both be too old to do it soon. Not sure if a Jota is the ideal bike for it either but it's what I've got and it's got a lot more class than any Japanese or German bike. I may feel different if it dies terminally in the middle of nowhere. Yeah I can get parts from Wolfgang, but only when the border's open (it isn't at the moment) and parcels take 2 weeks to get here.

Ken

I read a report a while ago about a bunch of blokes who decided to buy old model Goldwings and do the Alaska ride, they had a great time. Old bikes attract conversations at stops. That could be a good or bad thing. Read some great ride reviews lately, one bloke visited a bunch of cold war and space museums through the south, did the Drone video thing as well. There is apparently huge numbers of things to see over there.

Vince, yeah, there's a lot to see. And parts of it are a true delight to travel through, Tennessee for instance is a treasure, incredibly pretty countryside, all sorts of historic places to visit plus contemporary social events.
But the country is the size of Australia, and even though most of the roads are fairly well maintained it's still a long way from one place to the next. We're actually planning on putting the bike on the Autotrain from central Florida to near Washington DC to head back south for the Blue Ridge ride. 1500 km on interstate highways in autumn weather with storms blowing in randomly, cold in the mornings and HOT during the day ... I mean I could do it but why should I if I can take a sleeper on a train?
And of course the bug is the constant unknown factor...

Ken

We usually end up on the Slab, interstate Hwy on a lot of our rides. The official name, Hume Hwy, nickname The Doom Hwy. Absolutely mind-numbingly boring and at the 110-speed limit even worse. Unavailable for us sadly. I met a couple a while back who load there sports bikes in a van and drive the boring bits and ride the great bits. I can see there point.

hooksey said:
WTF are you blokes putting in your panniers..... 10kg dumbells.

The problem with luggage racks is that they're solidly bolted to the bike, so the shock loads are pretty high when you hit a bump. So 10kg of luggage could impose a peak load of 50kg on its mountings.

Many years ago (I was in my 20's) I bought a brand new Honda CB 750 K1. The shop also offered an optional luggage rack for the bike, which I also bought. The rear mounting of the rack bolted to the number plate bracket, which was mounted on the back mudguard. I thought it seemed a bit dodgy but they assured me it was strong enough. So I loaded up my gear and set off on a road trip north from Tassie.

By the time I got to Sydney, the rear mudguard had succumbed to the fatigue loads imposed by the luggage rack and had cracked most of the way through. I went into a Honda dealer and argued that since it was a dealer supplied rack they should replace the mudguard under warranty. I wasn't expecting them to agree, but amazingly they did! They had a pretty good workshop, so I told them I was a qualified welder (which was true) and asked if I could use their gear to modify the rack so it didn't put load on the mudguard. As it happened, they had a few welding jobs they needed doing and their welding guy had recently left for another job, so I stayed for a week doing casual work in their shop. They got their welding jobs done, I got a week's pay, and I came out with a much stronger rack that held together for another 6 months of touring to North Queensland and back to Tassie. Everyone was a winner. Try doing that nowadays. You'd need police security clearance, a medical, workplace safety training, blah, blah ...

hooksey said:
Sounds like a pearler of a tour Ken  8) They are good travelling companions the Hugs n kisses !
Especially when you arrive at your destination, and whilst you knock the top off a stubby, they are handy at erecting the tent  :D. Can be trained up to travel light also !
Have a blast Ken  8)

Imprinted on my memory like it was yesterday was your hugs n kisses riding on the back of your 81 Jota carrying 2 slabs of VB in her lap all the way from Tamworth to Armidale.  It was on the way to the National Laverda Rally (2nd one?) because it was good bloody friday and the pubs were closed so we'd stocked up the night before.  Good traveling companion indeed!  :D

breganzane said:
Imprinted on my memory like it was yesterday was your hugs n kisses riding on the back of your 81 Jota carrying 2 slabs of VB in her lap all the way from Tamworth to Armidale.  It was on the way to the National Laverda Rally (2nd one?) because it was good bloody friday and the pubs were closed so we'd stocked up the night before.  Good traveling companion indeed!  :D

Yes Batto, ??twas at a scout hall ???..... she?s a keeper.... I think she even swung the axe and felled a couple of trees for the fire that night  ;)

Pretty sure that was w/end after GP at the Creek 92....?

Back