Cobar 458
Day 33
Gilgandra 297
Mudgee 170
Day 34
Home
13404km

maurice turner said:
Great ride but that is very structured maybe too structured Marty do you have any spare time up your sleeve????
Fixed
Marty you are gunna miss a big chunk of Qld out so hardly a circumnavigation ......guess where you say Tablelands you are meaning Barkley Homestead huh  :eek:
Gunna drop in and see Joe and Flo at Kingaroy then huh ? grab some nuts for the trip and all that.
If you gunna be at Ord river then take the run into Lake Argyle and why not go for a run through the Bungle Bungles
On the way down the West Coast why not detour between Karratha and Carnarvon and go into Cape Range National Park its well worth a look and you can swim with the Dolpins.
Oh and I see you are also bypassing the Great Southern Dealership hmm  :p :p :p

Brett said:
Fixed
Marty you are gunna miss a big chunk of Qld out so hardly a circumnavigation ......guess where you say Tablelands you are meaning Barkley Homestead huh  :eek:
Gunna drop in and see Joe and Flo at Kingaroy then huh ? grab some nuts for the trip and all that.
If you gunna be at Ord river then take the run into Lake Argyle and why not go for a run through the Bungle Bungles
On the way down the West Coast why not detour between Karratha and Carnarvon and go into Cape Range National Park its well worth a look and you can swim with the Dolpins.
Oh and I see you are also bypassing the Great Southern Dealership hmm  :p :p :p
Well I missed that a circumnavigation of Aus is not complete by bypassing Victoria WTF

Terry, the GOR has now been renamed as the GSR. Speed limits have been lowered dramatically along the road, most of the fun bits are now 60, lots of the more open stuff that was 100 has now been made 80 (ask me how I know😒) So the Great Ocean Road is now known as the Great Slow Road😂😂
Tom

Hi Marty, looking at your planned route it appears you might have taken advice from the Qld Gov who only know about the SE corner of Qld :eek: :eek:
Only joking :D.
I understand you can't go everywhere and if you want to go the inland route then you can't come up the coast as well.
The alternative from Gladstone is of course the Bruce up to Townsville then straight across to Mt Isa or follow Highway 1 further up to Innisfail, up the Palmerston Highway to the 'Atherton' Tablelands then down the back of the tablelands and onto Mt Isa. (some dirt still on the Kennedy Development rd to Hughenden) Great riding and things to see up to and around the Atherton Tablelands.
Of course a circumnavigation along Highway 1 will take you from the Tablelands through the Gulf country, Normanton, Burketown, Borroloola, joining the Stuart Highway in the NT at Daley Waters!!  (But of course, would probably need some longer riding days to fit in!)
Anyway, impossible to fit everything in and well worth allowing time to see as much as you can where you do go (always surprising what you find in some out of the way place)
If you did decide to come further up the coast, always a bed, cold beer and even a jaunt on an old twin in the Whitsundays.

I?m not keen on overnight stops in Emerald anymore. Too many thieves in that town for my liking. Yes, I?ve been subjected to them >:D

Pretty cool trip though Marty.

I did a circumnavigation the other way around a long time ago. Took 6 months to do it (stopped for a while in a couple of places to earn money). It would be interesting to have another go at it, but I don't reckon my 70 year old bones would cope with the long days on in the saddle now. Especially on the Jota, which I find torturous after a few hours.

Might be do-able on an RGS but I don't have one of those.

I've been thinking I should sell the Jota and buy an RGS, or preferably a SFC1000 (because I prefer the look) so I can keep riding a Laverda into my dotage.

Thanks for all the great ideas. This is a winter ride, second half of July and August. I?ve done a lot of Vic already, so want to concentrate on the top half.  Have crashed on black ice on the gor........

My sister lives in dwellingup so a bit of a stopover there and service the bike, tyres, tappets etc

More research on fnq!

reckon shajota,s on the money,after a sojourn at camira keep heading north,dont have to do the bruce ,sneak up the burnett hwy ,then can either go beef road or mt morgan, rocky then proserpine-gotta turn left at townsville to be a  lap :D

Aaded in lake argyle, and cape range national park.  I was keen to go to longreach to see the qantas museum, but maybe heading further north are better roads.  Not sure about the gulf country, more research.

Back