American Eagle AE 750 SS SuperSport (1970)

J McGrail

My fiberglass fuel tank on my American Eagle has failed and I have been trying to find a retro tank or tank that will at least fit the frame. Not much luck, the frame changed in "71" I beleive. Any help out there would be appreciated.

Laverdian

Try Wolfgang in Canada. I know he had a spare fibreglass AE tank a couple of years ago when I was in a similar position to you. I doubt they’re in big demand. In the end I opted to have my fibreglass tank cut open and relined with an ethanol proof coating. I have also managed to acquire a steel “camel” tank fitted to the period Laverda 750S. These are also quite rare and pricey but more practical with today’s fuel.

J McGrail

Thanks for the help. I have been trying to find someone in my area that can make me a tank without no success yet. I also have thought about cutting it open and replining it but I am not sure how to go about it. I will check with Wolfgang.

Just an idea- how about making it a cover for a steel tank underneath, I’ve seen it done ( not on a Laverda) but you retain the original look but can get any fabricator to make or convert an existing tank So will be far cheaper than a custom built replica tank.

arancia

My fiberglass fuel tank on my American Eagle has failed and I have been trying to find a retro tank or tank that will at least fit the frame. Not much luck, the frame changed in "71" I beleive. Any help out there would be appreciated.
The minor frame construction change of the lower tubes of the backbone at the motor top front mount between the earliest S frame and later versions should not make any difference in which of the fuel tanks you can use. The AE plastic tank could be replaced with any of the steel tanks from S and SF models.

arancia

Just an idea- how about making it a cover for a steel tank underneath, I’ve seen it done ( not on a Laverda) but you retain the original look but can get any fabricator to make or convert an existing tank So will be far cheaper than a custom built replica tank.
I saw on ebay from Germany not so long ago but can't find it again now, an early SFC GRP tank that had a steel inner tank fitted to retain the original appearance while safer for racing.
I too would be interested in an inner tank to fit closely inside the American Eagle sport tank - any others if we found somebody to build some at a sensible price?
The original is a fairly squat profile, not so tall as either SF tank or the GT so can't afford to waste much inside space inside a top shell but a liner tank could be pretty basic with a couple of gallons capacity, fit the front and rear mount positions and inside the upper cover from the original aligning the filler. The steel base of SF tank could be used as a pattern.
Any wider interest?

J McGrail

I saw on ebay from Germany not so long ago but can't find it again now, an early SFC GRP tank that had a steel inner tank fitted to retain the original appearance while safer for racing.
I too would be interested in an inner tank to fit closely inside the American Eagle sport tank - any others if we found somebody to build some at a sensible price?
The original is a fairly squat profile, not so tall as either SF tank or the GT so can't afford to waste much inside space inside a top shell but a liner tank could be pretty basic with a couple of gallons capacity, fit the front and rear mount positions and inside the upper cover from the original aligning the filler. The steel base of SF tank could be used as a pattern.
Any wider interest?
I have twice sealed my tank, but it has failed both times. One of the problems I have is trying to prepare the inside of the tank. because of the way they were built the seams in the fiberglass have a lot of loose crevices and you can not clean them out well. If any one has a good way to prepare the tank please let me know. I like the idea of useing the original tank over a new inner tank to preserve the look of the bike. I would be interested if someone would be interested in building multiple tanks to save on cost.

PeterJansens

I just stumbled on a GT tank for sale: https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1676777209
I don't know the seller, but if you click the word "Bericht" on the right-hand side, you can send him a message.
Google translate of his description:
Laverda GT tank. In very good condition. Only 1 knee rubber holder has some rust, otherwise the tank is in good condition. With original fuel cap.
Serious offer requested, the interested party probably knows that these are sought after and rather rare tanks.

Paul Marx

SF tank will not fit GT frame and even then, depends which generation of GT frame we're talking about.
Post 1970 GT tank will not fit pre 1970 frame.

Paul

Paul Marx

Before any body calls me a bad salesman, I've had a freshly painted GT tank and side panels for 1st type GT for sale for donkeys years. Nobody is interested. They all want to convert their SF into a shabby orange SFC lookalike.

And incidentally, first type GT side panels will not fit later frames. Rear frame tubes are not identical.

Paul

arancia

I understood the original request was for a substitute for the AE SS plastic tank which would have come on an early S type frame.

Perhaps the original requester could confirm? Does the frame numbering stamping align horizontally as on the GT frame or nearer vertically as on the S frame?
I

arancia

Before any body calls me a bad salesman, I've had a freshly painted GT tank and side panels for 1st type GT for sale for donkeys years. Nobody is interested. They all want to convert their SF into a shabby orange SFC lookalike.

And incidentally, first type GT side panels will not fit later frames. Rear frame tubes are not identical.

Paul
Does your tank have the original style big cap and luggage rack? Cost with shipping to USA?

arancia

I'm assuming he's talking about one of these - the first pic, black. The second S and third SF tanks fit just fine onto the S frame 26xx underneath them all.

Agreed that S and GT tanks not easily interchangeable as the GT frame is wider by about one inch (=25.4mm Paul!) at the rear of the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0960 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0960 - Copy.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0961 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0961 - Copy.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0963 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0963 - Copy.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 16

arancia

That said, all the AE plastic tanks I have seen show evidence of rubbing on the top frame rails and need to be held higher with a couple of the rear cushions as they are not a perfect fit on the S frame. The steel tanks have a slightly arched underside profile to stand clear of the frame where the plastic tanks are almost flat.