American Eagle petrol tank (1970)

very few SFC 750's were officially sold and imported to the UK, might have been six, but one of them (that I know of) was sold new to Bob Hall who used it on the road. It had a fibreglass tank. Jota's and Monty's were sold in the hundreds for road use and the exhaust system was NEVER quiet enough to meet the required standards, but still sold and still registered, it says more about the UK registration system than anything else.
Plenty of cars these days, both petrol and diesel, have plastic tanks, it was the Americans who thought it a good idea to mount the tank between the axles rather than hanging out just under the rear bumper. Electric cars have their batteries housed in plastic, and have you seen how they can burn in a relatively slow speed collision that causes an electric short?
CLEM
Are you implying that the UK administration is corrupt and bribery is common place?

Paul

I used to have five new American Eagle fiberglass tanks and a lot of other parts. When they went out of business in 1970, many things went in to the trash. But the fuel tanks did not as they were popular with people building choppers. A new tank could be had for $5 back then. About 30 years ago I met a guy who worked at American Eagle and he had his entire garage filled with parts. I got a lot of it but sold it all a long ago. The last tank I had was sold to a guy in Oregon restoring a 1968 750. What is wrong with you tank? I have cut them open and repaired them. Then lined with alcohol resistant coating. It is not difficult.

I used to have five new American Eagle fiberglass tanks and a lot of other parts. When they went out of business in 1970, many things went in to the trash. But the fuel tanks did not as they were popular with people building choppers. A new tank could be had for $5 back then. About 30 years ago I met a guy who worked at American Eagle and he had his entire garage filled with parts. I got a lot of it but sold it all a long ago. The last tank I had was sold to a guy in Oregon restoring a 1968 750. What is wrong with you tank? I have cut them open and repaired them. Then lined with alcohol resistant coating. It is not difficult.
Thanks. I have sealed my tank twice and now the tank seems to be allowing gas fumes to penertrate the tank causing the paint to bubble also the sealer seems to be breaking down and getting into the carbs. After looking closer in the tank I have noticed due to the way the original fiberglass seams came togeather the seams are rough and the sealer is coming apart and not fully sealing the seams. I have not figured a way out yet for preparing the inside so it is smooth and clean. I have been thinking of using Caswell and trying a third time. I have heard a few guys say they too have cut there tanks open to repair them but I am not quite sure how to go about it.

I have sealed my tank twice and now the tank seems to be allowing gas fumes to penertrate the tank causing the paint to bubble also the sealer seems to be breaking down and getting into the carbs.
I have been thinking of using Caswell and trying a third time.
Foolish me, I'd been assuming you were using the Caswell epoxy product all along.

What sealing product were you using the first two tries?

Anything other than a full coating of epoxy over the entire inner surface of the tank including all the way down to the metal tubes of the fuel tap connectors is doomed to failure.

My fiberglass fuel tank on my American Eagle has failed and I have been trying to find a retro tank or tank that will at least fit the frame. Not much luck, the frame changed in "71" I beleive. Any help out there would be appreciated.
Hello J, I have 2 AmEagle SS tanks. However I know one leaks and the other shows some bodgy repairs at the leading edges. PM me if you are interested. Larry

Back