1974 Ducati 450 single MK3

GregT

Now, if that was a R/T model, I'd be seriously tempted!

piet
Really ? Back in the 80's a couple of young locals came to me to build the bottom ends of their two 450 engines - and do a good head too.
They'd tracked down a suitable cam and it ran on alky with a 40mm Dellorto.Locally made c/r 2nd gear and dry clutch.
They'd started racing a 450 R/T - but it had finished up thrown over a spectator bank at Levels circuit. Spectacular I was told.
So they built up a Mk3 desmo chassis and engine. PM front caliper on a 320mm disc so it stopped as well as it went.
BEARS F2 champion 2 years running here. Then they took it to Oran Park - the Aussie post classic champs. Runner up to Albert Tenheppe's CB750.
Ultimately the inevitable happened and both sets of cases cracked around the mains. As they do when you get that much HP out of them. The cases went to Oz for one of the top Ducati guys - one of Bramich's mates - to make and fit steel inserts for the mains. Took about 2 years and by that time they'd moved on to other bikes.
Anyway - the point - the R/T handles like shit compared to the road frames.

martymoose

It’s going up to Murwillumbah to a workshop that is fully equipped for basket cases. Chris Cutler is going to be consulting’s engineer and help the new owner with making bits and jobs, as well as his knowledge of Ducati’s, having previously owned 7 of them, including a green frame that I got to ride. As I said to Chrisoz, I think he will thank me in the end, and I probably saved his marriage 😜

motoddrob

Thinking about it I'm sort of glad I let that go. Didn't take much for Marty to convince me and the logistics would have
been a pain for Marty to box up and send. Phew

Tippie

Really ? Back in the 80's a couple of young locals came to me to build the bottom ends of their two 450 engines - and do a good head too.
They'd tracked down a suitable cam and it ran on alky with a 40mm Dellorto.Locally made c/r 2nd gear and dry clutch.
They'd started racing a 450 R/T - but it had finished up thrown over a spectator bank at Levels circuit. Spectacular I was told.
So they built up a Mk3 desmo chassis and engine. PM front caliper on a 320mm disc so it stopped as well as it went.
BEARS F2 champion 2 years running here. Then they took it to Oran Park - the Aussie post classic champs. Runner up to Albert Tenheppe's CB750.
Ultimately the inevitable happened and both sets of cases cracked around the mains. As they do when you get that much HP out of them. The cases went to Oz for one of the top Ducati guys - one of Bramich's mates - to make and fit steel inserts for the mains. Took about 2 years and by that time they'd moved on to other bikes.
Anyway - the point - the R/T handles like shit compared to the road frames.
Agree with you there Greg. The sports singles were absolutely incredible handling. The RT was a fun wheelie machine.
Did Cosi buy it?

Sold my 450 Desmo + second 350 Desmo Motor many years ago to Ducatisti Uwe Hasler who renewed Chrome and painting.
I had much fun whith that bike. Former owner broke his leg wenn starting with wrong ignition-timing. The kickstarter-stop did not survive this action either. :-I

Thomas aus LAU

Attachments

• 450 Desmo old.jpg
    450 Desmo old.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 450 Desmo repainted.jpg
    450 Desmo repainted.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 25

Tippie

Former owner broke his leg wenn starting with wrong ignition-timing. The kickstarter-stop did not survive this action either. :-I

Thomas aus LAU
A mate in Perth did his licence test on one. The testing officer got him to stop on a steep hill, kill the motor, then start it while sitting on the bike. The testing officer relented when he was made to understand how ridiculous this was.

RobinSF1

Sold my 450 Desmo + second 350 Desmo Motor many years ago to Ducatisti Uwe Hasler who renewed Chrome and painting.
I had much fun whith that bike. Former owner broke his leg wenn starting with wrong ignition-timing. The kickstarter-stop did not survive this action either. :-I

Thomas aus LAU
I had a 350 MK3 ready for when I passed my test. First day with a full licence, riding to school, I filtered by the school bus stopped at a red light, stalled, got a backfire trying to kick it, knee hit my mouth, blood everywhere. Pretty uncool!

Pretty uncool!
A friend had a Ducati 750 (round engine) at the time when i was 18 years old.

He was about 185 cm tall, his girlfriend, who also rode motorcycle, was about 160 cm. When his girl friend drove the Duc, he had to put his feet on the ground as the passenger at every stop. Her feet didn't hit the ground.
Once when they drove away at the ice cream parlor, the friend forgot to put his feet off at the nearby red light when stopping.

The 30 or so other motorcyclists had a lot to laugh about as the beautiful Ducati slowly moved to the side. That was although pretty uncool.

Thomas aus LAU

Tippie

I had a 350 MK3 ready for when I passed my test. First day with a full licence, riding to school, I filtered by the school bus stopped at a red light, stalled, got a backfire trying to kick it, knee hit my mouth, blood everywhere. Pretty uncool!
Heard about someone breaking his jaw like that when a Vincent kicked back. Ah, don't we miss real bikes with kick starters.