compression and valve clearance

Norge

thanks everyone for your replies, I have now update the post with what I hope is the correct info, sorry about the fuck up.
so what do you all think about the Right & middle inlet valves been so tight.... have the valve sets been damaged ?? should I just bite the bullet and pull the head off ? or will re-shimming them bring it back from the dead.

Vince

The best advice came from SfcPiet early in the thread, he does this for a living. Better than that he HELPS with great advice. The other bloke is Redax. Both are real pros and know Laverdas back and front. The next thing is the reason why I asked where in Oz you are is you can get heaps of help from the 3 Laverda Clubs in Oz, Queensland NSW and Vic. Plenty of advice from here as well.A lot of Engine work REQUIRES the engine to be pulled, there isn't enough room to just pull the head while the engine is in the frame.

Laverdalothar

With Vince here: Listen to Piet, please and take the cams off to see what shims you have. You will need an outside micrometer tool to measure them. or get in contact with Red and maybe transport the bike there to see what he finds.

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
Getting the engine running and re-checking clearances and shim sizes will allow you to assess the engine condition somewhat. Doesn't hapen often, but sometimes just a simple tune-up is required to get a tired old dog running nicely again.

Valve seats MAY be recessed, valves MAY be stretched or burnt, but sometimes it's just a matter of lack of maintenance or debris build-up on the valve seat surfaces. A following compression and/or leak-down test will show up any further deficiancies, you can always pull the engine if things do not improve. Start feeding your piggy bank if you're prepared for this step in Laverda life. ;)

piet

IAG

thanks everyone for your replies, I have now update the post with what I hope is the correct info, sorry about the fuck up.
so what do you all think about the Right & middle inlet valves been so tight.... have the valve sets been damaged ?? should I just bite the bullet and pull the head off ? or will re-shimming them bring it back from the dead.
Consider performing a leak down test before oiling up cylinders to check valve & piston ring integrity.

Norge

Hi Guys
Just an update on the bike. after a visit to Red's on the weekend the bike is now running. I would just like to thank you Red for your time and advice in showing me some of the tricks to keeping the Laverda going it was very much appreciated. also a big thank you to your better half, the egg sandwich was to die for after a long drive 🙂

Lee87H

Hi Guys
Just an update on the bike. after a visit to Red's on the weekend the bike is now running. I would just like to thank you Red for your time and advice in showing me some of the tricks to keeping the Laverda going it was very much appreciated. also a big thank you to your better half, the egg sandwich was to die for after a long drive 🙂
That's great! Red is one of the best, could you fill us in on what he found?