bent right front foot rest 1979 3CL

Norge

Hi
My new to me 1979 3CL seems to have a bent right hand side front foot rest, has someone got a good close up photo of a good original right hand side one so I can compare them to see what needs to be done

IMG_2728.JPG

A 2kg hammer straightens it quickly. Doesn't hurt the rubber either. Whack it till it looks OK and sort of matches its opposite. Peer over the top and from behind, a couple of mm here or there won't bother you, they're all different to begin with!

piet

Follow Piet's advice to leave the rubber on when hitting it.

I had a mate years ago who had exactly the same problem on his Yamaha YAS1 (125cc twin cylinder road bike). He took the rubber off then bashed the footrest with a lump hammer until it was the right shape. Put the rubber back on and all was good - until he switched the ignition on. There were no lights in the dash. The headlight and tail light didn't work either. After some electrical diagnostics we discovered that the jarring from the steel hammer bashing on the naked steel footrest had broken the filaments in every light bulb on the bike!

After some electrical diagnostics we discovered that the jarring from the steel hammer bashing on the naked steel footrest had broken the filaments in every light bulb on the bike!

Timely: I just received L&R New Old Stock foot peg mounts for my 74 DT360.
Now the challenge is; To remove the Yamaha part number stickers that have been there for the last 47 years.
They are stuck like shit stuck to blanket!

I would take the foot rest off the bike a place it in a big vise to straighten it - less you risk damaging the frame.

Not saying I'm guilty of using a long pipe and a Torch with a bent foot peg mounted on other then a Breganzie frame ;o)

Do NOT Bang that bent foot peg with a Hammer while mounted on a Breganzie frame - PERIOD - Remember Italian Motorcycles are made of Spaghetti.

Last edited:
You won't be able to lift the hammer that is capable of knocking off a triple frame, Ron. The footrest mounts are perhaps the strongest parts on Laverda frames. If you ever try removing one, you might understand...

I use this, admittedly brutal, method often, both on twins and triples. Not once has anything broken or bent, except the footrest in question. It doesn't even damage the rubber! Haven't had any chrome flake off either.

Don't "tap" it, hit it like you mean it! And beware the reciprocating hammer.

piet

I would take the foot rest off the bike a place it in a big vise to straighten it - less you risk damaging the frame.

Not saying I'm guilty of using a long pipe and a Torch with a bent foot peg mounted on other then a Breganzie frame ;o)

Do NOT Bang that bent foot peg with a Hammer while mounted on a Breganzie frame - PERIOD - Remember Italian Motorcycles are made of Spaghetti.
I took mine off, in the vice, heated up and bent back with my trusty Thor copper hide- with you all the Ron!

It is an advanced piece of engineering.
The metallurgic composition of the footrest is specially calculated so as when the bike falls over, the footrest bends rather than the frame.
You then pick up the bike.
The metallurgic composition of the sledge hammer is specially formulated so that when you wallop said footrest with it, footrest bends back to near original position due to the resilience memory of its molecular structure.

That's why we ride Laverdas.
Because we know.

Paul

In consideration on how that Foot Peg got bent - Inspect the frame around the mount and ensure nothing is bent or cracked welds.

No matter how much I used that that center peg pending rear sets, whether bent or not I would not want it to break off.

One time on a 69 Bonny, I hit a chunk of Curb debris at 30 mph in a 90 degree turn and the bike laid flat on her side - Bent the center foot peg and did a mean rash on a muffler and burnt and my leg.

Nothing could bet that light weight Bonny to 60 mph and sweet handling to 100 mph.

She was a beggar to kick start with them trickle Amals.

Last edited:
Back