Triple Side Panel Removal

The Sock

A new owner, on the ILOC site, cracked a side panel while removing it.
It ocurred that this might be useful advice for noobies:
Like many things Laverda, there's a knack to removing side panels.
I've been doing it this way for so long, I don't even think about it any more.
Fingers round the frame tube at the back of the panel, feel for the strengthening edge on the bottom (arrowed pic 2), push to release and then, gently, from the outside lower rear edge, release the side panel.

Side panel removal 1.jpgSide panel removal 2.jpg

I found another way of preserving the side panels. I put them on the shelf and installed a set of carbon copies from Boba. Same with the tank and ducktail.

uSR1moo.jpg

philw

Bought some new rubber gromets for mine and they are pretty stiff, but they do seem to hold the panels secure...but might be difficult to get them off without doing damage now ;)

The Sock

Bought some new rubber gromets for mine and they are pretty stiff, but they do seem to hold the panels secure...but might be difficult to get them off without doing damage now ;)
Use the method shown above for removal, Phil, and you'll avoid damage.

breganzane

I keep the remains of the little grease packets in Brembo rebuild kits, there is always more than enough to do the job. I use that for lubricating any rubber parts... and @chrisk will be along any moment now... :p

Yes, the new sidecover gromits are very tight, initially it's not clear how it will fit in there, and once in, removal may be alarming! But with a little lube they remain pleasantly tight, with a smooth insertion, a secure grip when in, and removal - while still requiring tenderness - is pleasant and without damage.
If you've mounted without lube and it does not seem to want to release, reach around back and see if you can get some lube in there with a finger or similar. Should then allow for smooth removal. I've not tried silicon spray, but that might be a good twist. Maybe just check for material compatability before use?

In all seriousness, yes, I do use a *little* brembo grease and all the above is correct with or without the double entendre. (y)