Torque wrenches lie!

Laverdalothar

I haven't created it so I can not 100% guarantee it, but I assume it can be used for all triples, no matter if 3C, 3CL, 1200 or RGx, as they all have the same studs and nuts as far as I know.

Laverdalothar

so - today was Christmas, the new Gedore 10-50Nm Torque wrench arrived. Adjusted it to 20Nm - 3 times clicking showed 3 times 20Nm on my measuring tool! Adjusting it to 30, 35 and 40Nm showed a bit lower numbers (around 0,2-4 less, which is well within the specs!). What a difference!

Laverdalothar

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. It's these uncertancies that drive me nuts (and nuts that I can not tighten enough not to get nuts about it... hihihi). It was the same when I tried to adjust my carbs, speculating about if its rich now and needs leaner or lean and needs richer.... I am just not sensible enough to feel such things, I need a device to measure it. I hate also these debates about what brings what results if you can not proof it.

For the torque wrench, the old saying just came true: "purchase wise or purchase twice..." Sure it is impossible to have just professional tools all around your workshop if you do not earn money with it (or are REALY rich...), but a good tool from time to time is affordable and makes life so much easier!

I have to admid though that the quality feeling of the new purchased Gedore is no where near the feeling of the old one of my friend. That said, the new one is much better to adjust (scale has not yet yellowed, everything is tight etc.). But it has more plastic on it than the old one... then, the old ones head isn't as good in shape anymore as the one I have now etc. - so, overall, the new ones is great but I doubt it would last as long as the old one if both were extensively used... Just how things are these days, right?

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
My only problem with the Gedore is the 3/8 size. Of course I could get an adapter, but I am thinking about getting this one

Wera torque tool 10-50

- love all my Wera tools so far. Just got set of Joker ratchet ring spanners for my birthday.
Chris,

3/8" drive sockets are generally a lot slimmer than 1/2", they suit spannering on bikes a lot better than the larger ones, especially in the confined nooks and crannies. Working with 1/2" drive tools all day can be quite tiresome, 3/8" is the tool of choice of all my mechanic friends. Of course, torque wrenches for higher torques need to be 1/2" or more, 3/8" is limited to around 50Nm.

piet

Laverda1000.de

Chris,

3/8" drive sockets are generally a lot slimmer than 1/2", they suit spannering on bikes a lot better than the larger ones, especially in the confined nooks and crannies. Working with 1/2" drive tools all day can be quite tiresome, 3/8" is the tool of choice of all my mechanic friends. Of course, torque wrenches for higher torques need to be 1/2" or more, 3/8" is limited to around 50Nm.

piet
Hi Piet,
my dislike for 3/8" is totally irrational and stems from my first pimply youth ratchet set which was of the ultra crappy quality type. I next got a 1/2" Hazet set including a torque wrench (20-200Nm) which I've been happily using for 35 years (including on the triple head bolts 🙄)
Maybe I'll have to revisit....
Chris

piranha-bro2

I totally agree with Piet - I have 1/2" but that was just the norm when I was building up my kit 40 years ago. I don't use them that often, but if I were spannering in a shop again i would go 3/8" for sure. In fact I use my 1/4" up to 13mm, with a high quality ratchet.

GregT

I totally agree with Piet - I have 1/2" but that was just the norm when I was building up my kit 40 years ago. I don't use them that often, but if I were spannering in a shop again i would go 3/8" for sure. In fact I use my 1/4" up to 13mm, with a high quality ratchet.
In point of fact, if you were setting up from scratch now, you'd base all your sockets around what fits a battery drill. I visit a friend still working in the trade and his ratchets and Tee handles simply don't get used now. It's all done with a battery drill. His even has torque settings.....
I have him on about losing strength in his hands from underuse. i have to admit though, it's fast.

Dellortoman

Hi Piet,
my dislike for 3/8" is totally irrational and stems from my first pimply youth ratchet set which was of the ultra crappy quality type. I next got a 1/2" Hazet set including a torque wrench (20-200Nm) which I've been happily using for 35 years (including on the triple head bolts 🙄)
Maybe I'll have to revisit....
Chris
I have a preference for 1/2" for exactly the same reason. While I also have 3/8" and 1/4" sets, I only reach for the smaller sizes when space is tight and the 1/2" won't get in there. The smaller ones somehow seem like toys. They're not for serious spannering.
I had to use 3/8" yesterday when changing the glow plugs in my (diesel) car. I felt like some kind of weird pervert fiddling around with sockets that hadn't grown up. :)

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
In point of fact, if you were setting up from scratch now, you'd base all your sockets around what fits a battery drill. I visit a friend still working in the trade and his ratchets and Tee handles simply don't get used now. It's all done with a battery drill. His even has torque settings.....
I have him on about losing strength in his hands from underuse. i have to admit though, it's fast.
Yep, I've got a nice little Dewalt 1/4" drive device that gets used more and more. Actuall 1/4" hex fitted with a 1/4" square adapter. Fantastic for loosening/tightening primary covers and such. Although it has torque settings, I rely on a manual torque wrench in the end. Doesn't have the balls to crack a tight bolt though. I really wish I had one of these at the race tracks back in the days!

Interesting feature is there is no forward/reverse knob to set. Just apply the drill and turn slightly in the direction you want it to go!

DCF680G2 Dewalt 7.2V Cordless Motion Activated Screwdriver ITS TV (YouTube)

piet

CLEMTOG

I use 1/4" drive stuff a lot, most of the time in fact, (I hva worn the chrome off my tee bar and can see the copper underneath (Hilka) and then 3/8" as well, for a lot of jobs, when it comes to getting 1/2" or even 3/4" drive stuff out it feels like a trip to the gym.
CLEM

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
You need more grunt Piet. My friend uses an 18V drill.
Sure, but those are usually heavy and ungainly. But, they're getting there. I have a 18V Makita for chores around the house, no comparison to the heavy 12V lump that the Makita replaced. Still, almost 3 times as heavy as the little Dewalt.

piet

Dellortoman

Best impact driver I've ever used is a little Milwaukee M18FID2-0 18V. It was quite small and light, had masses of torque and the battery seemed to last forever. A few of us were helping a mate build a shed and one of the guys turned up with the Milwaukee. It made avery other battery driver look like rubbish. Certainly shat all over my 18V Makita in both performance and battery life. Not a cheap tool though.