Rear wheel with rotor brake substitute

Forgot to mention...the oem Laverda sprocket used only 4 attachment bolts, the KLR doubled-up with 8.

Sure they're wire? New one is 5-spoke cast wheels. Older one looks like a low spoke count wire but is also cast.
The Z900RS has cast wheel wire wannabes. Kawasaki purposely polished the skinny cast spokes to look like wire. I'm sure they're safe but they sure look flimsy.

I'm often astonished by the lack of substance in many modern cast motorcycle wheels. Some of them look about as substantial as a spider's web. I'd expect them to break at the first bump in the road, but obviously they don't. Must be some pretty clever alloy they're using.

I'm often astonished by the lack of substance in many modern cast motorcycle wheels. Some of them look about as substantial as a spider's web. I'd expect them to break at the first bump in the road, but obviously they don't. Must be some pretty clever alloy they're using.
Two different riding techniques when approaching a road hump:
a)Proper wire wheels----stand up, fang it, pull up the front, get some air under both wheels if you're good, otherwise at least the front.
b)Z900RS cast metal wire wheel look-alike----slow down, ease over the hump, get off and check for fractures in the cast wheel, maybe drive off or call for a tow.

Sure they're wire? New one is 5-spoke cast wheels. Older one looks like a low spoke count wire but is also cast.

:unsure: ..................... I sorta think so.
Z1_H2_classic-2-1024x768.jpg

Crazy. I've seen three different versions all with different wheels! Sure looks like spokes, CK. Could be waiting a while before any come up for sale from a wreckers tho. Wonder what width the rear rim/tyre are?

Back