Rear wheel with rotor brake substitute

Speaking of pushbike races I was watching Paris–Roubaix on SBS the other night, famous for cobblestones and it was the first time in 20 years that they had huge rainstorms. Even the motorbike camera blokes were crashing on the muddy cobblestones.

I think Gowanlocks have those gadgets, I think they are supposed to evenly adjust by turning the tube with one right hand and one left thread. It does my head in thinking about it. The ones on my rearset gear lever must be individually adjusted to work as turning the tube does not help much. To be honest there isn't much adjustment available with only 10mm of thread to use. The tube on my gears change was as hard as hell and needed shorting and boring and taping.

Yep, Arthurs Seat is a favourite of mine.
I used it often for hill climb training when I was full-on cycling (road bike pushie, not moto). Its a bastard of a climb.

Great memory too--in Feb 2016 I was carrying pillion, a photographer up the final 3 laps of the Herald-Sun Tour on Arthurs Seat, riding along-side Chris Froome (4 time Tour de France winner) as he won the event for Sky Team.
You can imagine the demand on clutch/throttle/balance control needed that day with cyclists all around, spectators jumping out and the photographer hanging off to get the shots. Used my other triple, the Tiger 800XC that day. Memorable for me, but certainly not as much as it was for Chris!
That's a cool story. I watch the moto riders on the pro Tour races and marvel at their skill - Paris-Roubaix last weekend one of the moto guys put his over into the ditch - mud-city and slippery as buggery that race this year!!! How'd you get the gig as media rider, Chuck? Hard on a clutch alright! But better (faster) to be following Froomy than your average Joe like me!

Arfur's might be over in a flash on a moto, but I'd reckon it's a bit of work on a bicycle - not as bad as Back o'Falls (Mitta Road up to Falls Creek high plains), which I've ridden probably ten times now - 1h45m at an ave of around 7-8kph!! Mind you, that's with 160-230km and 4-5000 vertical metres in the legs (Alpine Classic Extreme or Ultimate). Glad I can still do it at 65.

I think they are supposed to evenly adjust by turning the tube with one right hand and one left thread. It does my head in thinking about it.
Same principle on a Laverda fuel tap - opposing threads. You could always buy a LH thread tap to match the LH thread rose joint.

That's a cool story. I watch the moto riders on the pro Tour races and marvel at their skill - Paris-Roubaix last weekend one of the moto guys put his over into the ditch - mud-city and slippery as buggery that race this year!!! How'd you get the gig as media rider, Chuck? Hard on a clutch alright! But better (faster) to be following Froomy than your average Joe like me!

Arfur's might be over in a flash on a moto, but I'd reckon it's a bit of work on a bicycle - not as bad as Back o'Falls (Mitta Road up to Falls Creek high plains), which I've ridden probably ten times now - 1h45m at an ave of around 7-8kph!! Mind you, that's with 160-230km and 4-5000 vertical metres in the legs (Alpine Classic Extreme or Ultimate). Glad I can still do it at 65.
Yes, I know WTF corner well. I cycled six Audax Alpine's including the inaugural 235km? Alpine Classic. Discretion is the better part of Valour, so I was only 63y.o. for the last one.
But--- the Laverda connection---my longtime cycling mate, Wally, also did those rides with me, much faster too. But Wally died of cancer at 61. In his will he left me his Laverda 1976 3CL. It had been in the shed for 21 years and, before he died, asked that I restore it and get it running again. He used it as his PI race track bike. So I did.
If you look at the attached picture (new rear wheel btw), on the left side cover, is his name, Wal. It's still his bike. And next to it are the signatures of Piero and Giovanni. Motorcycles live on.
PXL_20211009_052529392.jpg
1765.jpg

Here's a quick sketch of the geometry FWIW. It would be stronger if the braces were crossed like an 'X' but not enough clearance. I might use a turnbuckle eventually.
Yes, I know there is another 100 ways to do this but here's one that works and weighs less and takes up less space than the OEM Brembo.PXL_20211010_042913346.jpgPXL_20211009_012807547.jpg

Last edited:
Finally managed to get some 10mm thick alloy so I can now finish the KLR650 brake mount similar to the original Laverda (example in pic) left-side mounting method. Braking force is once again a torque again on the swingarm. (I could reduce the KLR mount rear section some more, but not necessary.)
Just need to paint. Black is the new orange.
PXL_20211014_012606305.jpgPXL_20211014_013936056.jpg

Blimey, you've been busy. This is about prototype #3 isn't it?
Now waiting for responses about the two rivets (or whatever they are) holding the doubler piece on the end. :)

I think this must be about prototype #4, Cam, I need the entertainment to get through lockdown.
Damn, knew someone would pick those 'whatevers' out! Even considered leaving it out of the photo or painting first to hide it but missed the banter so kept it in.
What it is: I don't have alloy welding capability at home so to join the two 10mm pieces to get the tapered wide end I just tapped and ran threads through with Loctite. Then hit the edged with the punch to lock.
Next, sourced a blank 40T 530 sprocket from JT sprockets thanks to a tip from Marty and know someone with a bigger lathe so I'll cut the 120mm centre on that next.

Speaking of pushbike races I was watching Paris–Roubaix on SBS the other night, famous for cobblestones and it was the first time in 20 years that they had huge rainstorms. Even the motorbike camera blokes were crashing on the muddy cobblestones.
The race very nearly passes by our house. No huge rainstorms, just a rainy week and a lot of mud. The same mud a lot of men spent 4 years in blowing each other up.

Few crashes during the race this year. ( photo taken last spring on the Moulin de Vertain cobbled section. )20210420_121901.jpg
Paul

Back