Gearbox neutral switch

This is a bit weird as Ralph (Motalia) managed to find the supplier of these switches and he had a batch made by them and the minimum order was about the same as the the total number of bikes made, AFAIK one "from another bike" has never been found, I saw them in his stoarge and it loked like 150 years worth of switches
Clem
Iā€™m finding it difficult to believe Ralph ever had more than one on the shelfšŸ˜‚

thats worth a try,
Is this the product you refer to?

ebay 383860849564
81VYLC9bPBL._AC_UY218_.jpg
about $15 US

This is a bit weird as Ralph (Motalia) managed to find the supplier of these switches and he had a batch made by them and the minimum order was about the same as the the total number of bikes made, AFAIK one "from another bike" has never been found, I saw them in his stoarge and it loked like 150 years worth of switches
Clem
Certainly there were non available from him,researching before we started manufacturing them in 2017 .I d say at the cost of the others that they must be Chinese.

Have used Shaun's, faultless as far as Im concerned, (y) (y)
Shame he is not doing another run but totally understandable.

If your after a cheaper option then its as per usual,
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten.

cheers
Tom

If you got a 72 or early Breganzie wiring - Just ground the Starter solinioed through that Tranny Neutral switch - You will thank me later without the expense of blowing up your starter ;o)

Basically Re Motorcycles without a Clutch lever Start Safety switch.

Other then you can only engage the starter in Neutral and the Clutch lever means NOTHING !

It took the Auto Industry back in 1973 to implement that you could only start your manual transmission car with the clutch pedal depressed. Other then you can't start your engine in gear.

Lets get onto blowing up Starters on early Breganzies ;o)

Last edited:
IMG_1067.JPEG

Here's the problem I have,
I took the cover off and the hole was full of what seemed like exhaust paste, white and hard.
I dug it out using various tools and a dremel and this is what I'm left with.
Nut has long gone and sheared off.
I can get a socket on the nut now but cannot shift it to remove the switch.

Too scared to apply loads of twist with a long bar incase I shear it off or damage the casing.

Wondering if I could put a small drill into the centre, go in a few mm and then push a replacement wire into the hole and try to drop some solder in?

Then reinforce with the JB Weld

Last edited:
I'd be more inclined to drill and use a small self-tapper to secure a ring terminal.
Less risk of melting the insulation.

FWIW...just an idea.... My original neutral switch failed too and I couldn't source a new one. So I drilled out the internals of the old one, preserving the M14 thread outer casing and tapped it to an M12 thread internally. Then I threaded in a similar commonly sourced switch(~$25) used for automotive gear boxes, but with the M12 thread. Finished it off with some JB weld to support the wires. That was 4 years ago. Works fine and I haven't had any problem since.

FWIW...just an idea.... My original neutral switch failed too and I couldn't source a new one. So I drilled out the internals of the old one, preserving the M14 thread outer casing and tapped it to an M12 thread internally. Then I threaded in a similar commonly sourced switch(~$25) used for automotive gear boxes, but with the M12 thread. Finished it off with some JB weld to support the wires. That was 4 years ago. Works fine and I haven't had any problem since.
Did yo do that without swarf ending up inside, Chuck? If cases are split it's probably not a bad mod to do anyway - if it means a cheaper easier to obtain part can be fitted it has to be a good thing.

Cover, I don't remember my 3c having any cover over my neutral switch. Better have a look.
Only the 750s had bolted-on covers, Vince. The triple crankcase accepts a rubber bung, same as the one in the clutch cable access hole.

piet

I didn't know such a thing as a rubber bung for the neutral switch existed. Never seen one on any triple I've worked on. Maybe the rubber perishes and they fall out or were binned years ago by previous owners.

Back