Looking for a Zane 750

ColinL

Thanks Cosi,
I’m not desperate to sell, just want to rescue a good bike. I’ve got another 6 Lav’s to keep me busy so full up for winter.
I’m so impressed with the Laverda community in Oz. For example, what Red is doing is ground breaking work and an inspiration to us traditionalist back in Europe.
👍🏻

Paul Marx

Thanks Cosi,
I’m not desperate to sell, just want to rescue a good bike. I’ve got another 6 Lav’s to keep me busy so full up for winter.
I’m so impressed with the Laverda community in Oz. For example, what Red is doing is ground breaking work and an inspiration to us traditionalist back in Europe.
👍🏻
Gijs van Dijk, who is in Europe is doing a 4 valve triple engine. I'm pretty impressed with the Laverda community in Europe. :)
A lot of Laverda work and riding done.

Paul

Andy J

I suppose it's a bit like pimping an Alpino to make it into a 'Montjuic', a 3CL into a 'Jota' or an SF into a 'SFC' look-a-like.

ColinL

Need to be careful with old seemingly great bikes. I’m going to list my genuine low mileage original one on eBay. If it doesn’t sell, I’m going to break it!!!!

ColinL

Looks like the engine issues has killed the attraction on Zane 750’s. apart from the engine, the rest of the spec is quite exotic.
I always wondered how easy it would be to fit a TRX 850 engine into the Zane rolling chassis. Someone must have done it.

Laverdalothar

Looks like the engine issues has killed the attraction on Zane 750’s. apart from the engine, the rest of the spec is quite exotic.

yeah - thanks to some people comparing the bikes with handgrenades etc., even bikes that can be fixed (or are already) are de-valued massively...

I have my 750 S Formula since 14 years. It only has been ridden ocasionally and has most of the issues fixed. The last time the bike let me down it was due to a not even 2 years old battery that died. New battery and the bike started instandly. It's a dream to ride and non of the components are really exotic. The brakes are Brembo all around, the tires have normal sizes, injection is Weber Marelli just like on almost any italien bike from the 90's - almost everything is available still through 3Cmoto.it or local dealers.

Engines can be fixed, so can starter motors, electric etc. If you fix it before it's broken and let a profesional company like OCT in Germany do it, it's about 2.500 - 3.000€ additional spending to fix the engine and almost any other issue of the bike can be fixed by yourself (regulator change, change of some cables, bridging of the side stand switch etc... the rest ist standard maintenance.

Looking at the "bullet proof" VFR 750 of my wife's brother, he spent more money on servicing the sucker than I did on the 750 Formula. to be fair, he drove also 15.000km more than me during that time (almost 4 times what I drove). Nevertheless: almost every spring, he needs to bring the bike to service first, as the carbs are overfloating, bike is not willing to start or something different. And if you think the 750 S is a bike that is hard to work on, try to get to the carbs of a VFR 750...

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
Lothar,

If your brother in law would lay up his VFR correctly, like we all do with our Lavs :rolleyes:, it would be just as trouble-free as any other bike. Hundreds of thousands of VFR owners the world over would testify to this. Just wheeling it to the back of the shed in August and pulling it out the following April is simply asking for trouble. The more complex bikes have become, so has the amount of necessary preventive maintenance.

There are very few inherently bad bikes on the market these days, unfortunately the Zane bikes do belong in this category. Not necessarily by design, but by shoddy build and total lack of R&D and quality control, especially in the engine and electrics department. What OCT does is simply what the Zane factory SHOULD have done in the first place! I'm not complaining... as long as these shitheaps atrocities keep rolling through the door, I've got a job!

piet

Andy J

I always wondered how easy it would be to fit a TRX 850 engine into the Zane rolling chassis. Someone must have done it.
I think you’ll find Colin the Yamaha is suspect in places as well, but there are several conversions jobs around using a Zane rolling chassis and a variety of engines.
However, I’m planning to stick with the original engine for awhile longer and have Slick Bass lined up to work on my race engine.

piranha-bro2

Different engine suggested for Zanes many times over on here. Clem likes the BM 850 - sounds like a nice option.

They really are fantastic bikes to ride - I'd love to have one but would definitely consider a less peaky and more inherently reliable engine. But if one had be OCT'd I'd leave it and enjoy it.

Compared to those VAG (VW, Audi Group) V6 cam chain fukups a Zane is a breeze to fix!

arancia

If you're sold on the marvelous chassis etc. of the Zane' bikes but concerned about the long-term reliability and costs if/when the motor decides to explode, just buy a 668 Ghost or Ghost Strike when one comes up at a bargain price and give it a try - it's basically the same bike with different bodywork and a slightly less powerful engine but still a blast to ride.
A 668 Ghost or Strike with the front sprocket down from 16 to 15T pulls hard to high speed in top gear with the same relatively low torque as the 750 till you wind up the motor and they can be obtained for sensible money compared to the 750S and Formula.
Yes, they do have their issues but if it's running well, treat it nicely, gentle warm up and frequent oil and filter changes, and until it explodes (which may not happen ever if you're mechanically sympathetic and just using it for fun rides with no goal of riding it for many tens of thousands of miles) you can have lots of fun.
I bought my most recent Ghost with low miles via eBay a little over two years ago, it had been donated to a charity, I paid little for it thinking at worst it would be good for parts, checked it over, changed battery and oil and recently the tires, and have since then driven many multi-hundred-mile days at high speed and enjoyed every minute of it (and I'm a hard-core old time Breganze twin and triple fanatic!), not so much fun in town and I don't enjoy in traffic riding at all any more but find the roads with hills, varying turns, etc. then oh what fun. Sustained high speed no problem till it quickly drains its fuel tank.
There are lots of horror stories here and in other forums about how these bikes are hand grenades just waiting to explode, some of them likely to do so when they've been previously abused, but till then they are lots of fun. If/when it dies then you can assess how much fun you had and whether it's worth the (potentially high) cost to continue but don't let the nay-sayers cramp your style, one advantage of all those horror stories is that these bikes can be obtained at reasonable prices.

(and no, you can't convert these bikes back to points!)

Deep joy all summed up in a few posts - risk is definitely involved with Zane ownership - but rich reward when riding - rarer than an O&S Jota - still it seems that most owners are up for challenge and that may involve terminal failure - so as us Brits say keep calm and carry on - let sleeping dogs lie 🤣

CA46674C-D82B-4E42-86CD-3D42BCF8401B.jpeg

CLEMTOG

the Rotax 800 ex BMW does fit with minimal cutting at the back of the engine(ex swing arm mount) and the stock frame in the same place, it even has a water to oil inbuilt plate type heat exchanger (oil cooler) my sons and I have proved it will work but the main conversion is currently stalled. (I might sell the whole caboodle if the right offer came along)

Lav 668 65 BHP at 7800rpm, 44 ft/lbs torque at 7200rpm (how bleeding near flat out is that?????)
BMW F800R 87BHP at 8000rpm, 63ft/lbs torque at 6000rpm (thats more like it)

outputs on the Rotax for us will change as the FI is being ditched in favour of carbs, which will be top spec race Keihans