wanted - moto giro bike

chrisk

My mothers sister married a Pommy bloke, he and his brother were both Triumph and Norton mad.

They had the knack of kick starting, the hard to start bikes, into life first kick.

Ian D

My mothers sister married a Pommy bloke, he and his brother were both Triumph and Norton mad.

They had the knack of kick starting, the hard to start bikes, into life first kick.
yep, have been left standing in the air on the kick starter of my Norton a few times, and I'm on the wrong side of 100 kilos.
Certainly a technique and proper timing.

Paul Marx

yep, have been left standing in the air on the kick starter of my Norton a few times, and I'm on the wrong side of 100 kilos.
Certainly a technique and proper timing.
The Commandos accompanying us started first kick.
Apparently, the technique is to find compression, stand on the kickstart to allow it to go down a bit and then wham.
For once this year, we didn't have a Norton in the backup van.
We had one Triumph twin with a worn cam lobe, one BSA A65 with a seized crank and a Venom with an exploded clutch.

Paul

GregT

It's not just the old stuff either. I did a Yamaha SRX600 for a guy here. Headwork and a cam - it was a road bike. He could leave it with the keys in it knowing no - one would start it. Won bets on his ability to start it first kick too.

He's about 6 ft 5in and 250kg. Looks like he could play lock for the All Blacks. But it was still mainly technique. Compared to something like a Velo the moderns have very light flywheels. Makes it harder starting if anything.

Vince

Handy to have a valve lifter as well. My first 4-stroke Husky 1992 TE 350 had a cable from the kick starter to the valve lifter at the head that did it automatically when kicking it. It also had a lifter on the left bar under the clutch lever. I bought it off a mate after he swore on a stack of bibles it was a great easy starter and it was brilliant, a 2-year-old could easily kick it over. 1000% better than the XT 500. And I know the technic after owning bevels bonnies and Nortons. That bloody Yamaha was a nightmare especially if you crashed it on a big hill. How I avoided having a heart attack trying to start it at those times I don't know. Even clearing it out by holding full throttle while kicking didn't help. Thankfully it caught fire on a ride once and burned to the ground. Best thing for it.