2 Dead Batteries in 4 days

I have a Motobat AGM battery on my Guzzi. It has never been right and loses charge after a week or two if the bike is not used. I bought myself one of those Oxford "solariser" solar powered trickle chargers, so I did. It is designed to fit in a window on the front of the Oxford bike cover. So the bike sits outside under its cover and gets a wee trickle charge when its day time. After one week of that, the battery seemed ok and the bike fired up yesterday so I went for a little ride which was nice to be able to do without having to take the battery out and charge it up which is what i have had to do a lot this summer. So far so good. Has any one else got one of these ?

I have a Motobat AGM battery on my Guzzi. It has never been right and loses charge after a week or two if the bike is not used. I bought myself one of those Oxford "solariser" solar powered trickle chargers, so I did. It is designed to fit in a window on the front of the Oxford bike cover. So the bike sits outside under its cover and gets a wee trickle charge when its day time. After one week of that, the battery seemed ok and the bike fired up yesterday so I went for a little ride which was nice to be able to do without having to take the battery out and charge it up which is what i have had to do a lot this summer. So far so good. Has any one else got one of these ?
If it's losing charge over a week there may be something sapping current while it's not running, rather than being the fault of the battery. This can be checked with an ammeter.

A friend has a Mk II LeMans, he disconnected the clock as he was worried that it would flatten the battery over time (no pun intended). I think he said the clock drew 25mA, which is not a lot, but could possibly flatten the battery if the bike sat doing nothing for long enough.

Cheers,

bazzee

If it's losing charge over a week there may be something sapping current while it's not running, rather than being the fault of the battery. This can be checked with an ammeter.

A friend has a Mk II LeMans, he disconnected the clock as he was worried that it would flatten the battery over time (no pun intended). I think he said the clock drew 25mA, which is not a lot, but could possibly flatten the battery if the bike sat doing nothing for long enough.

Cheers,

bazzee
Yes.
If a battery doesn't hold the charge, either it's a dud, or there's a leak to earth somewhere.
Modern bikes have fuel pumps, injectors, on board computers giving ambient temperature, weather forecast, hour of day. They have small batteries that are well up to intermittent use.

Paul

Update, back in December, I fitted Deka EXT 16 batteries to the 2 Laverdas. So 7 months down the track and thousands of k's traveled on both bikes, they have behaved flawlessly. Charging at 14.1V and holding charge. I have regularly tested them with my battery tester and they have always come up 100% charged and 100% SOH. Can't get any better than that. So the 4 SSB batteries, each of them suddenly failing by dropping a cell, leaving me stranded roadside, are now a thing of the past. I'm sure SSB make good batteries, and like oil or tyres are a personal choice. But I wont be going near them again, not after getting 4 duds. Happy days now, fingers crossed. :)

They need to ride more or change bike.
Or stick the battery in their snowmobile.

Paul
Well, no snowmobiles on duty here in South Australia…
My brother has 7 bikes, I have 5. This winter we’re struggling for 2 decent riding days per week. Trickle charging the bikes is a necessity. The ‘tails’ to attach my smart charger to my bikes are about $15 from my local auto store. Becomes a simple, routine task.

Back