Breaking News: The 1000k’s in a day on a LAVERDA club… has a new member

The very exclusive 1000K’s in a day on a Laverda club welcomes its newest member Hold you head up high young man you have now accomplished a feat not many can attest to..

So from humble beginnings a boy from Avalon shunned the yuppies from the Northern Beaches and a number of years ago now shelled out some of his hard earned folding stuff to buy his first Laverda. Now whilst at first he suffered more set backs than most could deal with he stuck with his first Laverda as he had been bitten. He shunned the stigma of having to own a BMW if you live on the Northern Beaches and sold it .. then he bought not one but ended up with 2 more Laverda’s.

And it was on one of these that our intrepid rider finally decided to bite the bullet and tackle the jaunt to P.I from Sydney in a day. Aided by a couple of long term stalwarts of this club he pushed on through the cold and at times wet … without any of the mod cons such as heated grips or such.. though he did have half a sheep on this seat channeling some inner Kiwi from a previous life… oh well we can let him off.

Then 3 days later he backed it up even after a big night of preside conditioning with the coach ( who had by then finished his duties for the weekend ) with the trip back again in a day.. there were murmurs of I am not going to drink again that were heard to leave his lips at times today but well that is all part of being a 1000K a day man you gotta be able to do it with a hangover to be a real club member.

So lets all give him a big cheer and a well earned well done.. He even impressed the VP of the club up North with his efforts that word on the street is if he pays his fees he‘d be welcomed into that club as an honorary member … and a number of VIc’s were also way impressed.. .

And I’ll m sure that more than once we heard the words outstanding from him bloody top job Tom 👏👏👏C4B19B70-D7AC-4A26-816D-7680333FAD2B.jpegCBC2F8EE-5608-42A6-A2E0-D69BB09DA462.jpegDA52A7B4-A270-4479-A435-88FBBF558F78.jpeg08618572-EDA9-4511-A4E1-F5D229537181.jpeg70B72B45-6E6B-4C13-9695-C1AFE3380763.jpegDB14ED8C-86D3-4A5A-B425-3C614D1DADFF.jpeg8AF9C99D-C38B-48C7-822B-3A513CEB46FB.jpeg373A2BE6-56D5-4BE4-8556-50F26E7B5B90.jpeg70390099-5C1C-47CF-892F-7631E2F9A0E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome! And from his Laverdas he'd chosen the endurance racer replica - what could have been more suitable for this challenge?
And as is further known, when it comes to speed records, the mean is always taken from the outward and return journeys, I assume that Tom took this as a role model!
:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: T.C
I welcome another Member!
I qualified in '91, on my way back from Corvara, Italy to my home in SE London, England.
1345kms. with only petrol stops, one with a coffee and a croissant, between Corvara and the ferry at Calais.

'91 Factory Trip Luggage.jpg

Yep, the young bloke did well. I think the I’m never going to drink again statement was a bit over the top though. Surely he won’t be abstaining from th drin at Bellingen 😂😂🍺🍺. Quite a few beers to drink there I’m thinking👍 Was a long ride for me but Brett and Tom had another 3hrs plus to do after I signed off at the ACT border. Was a top weekend at PI watching the racing and catching up with all the Laverda guys😀👍
Tom the wrecker

Welcome to the club Tom just remember the secret to success in order to maintain membership to this exclusive club is to resist those desires to want to stop and have a dart or paint your nails as the main man has said, but the other challenge is you must continue doing the 1000km days or you will be relegated from the club and you certainly don't want to get back to those poofy BMW days now do you.
It was great to catch up with you guys all together.

Oh dear, Pete and I will doubtless have to listen to this outstanding tale of Laverda hard arse for some weeks to come during our Friday coffee runs up to Brooklyn with TC/Skips/Mountain Man. Good job Tom.

Reactions: T.C
Joined the club many years ago; visiting the rellies in Brisbane, Sydney to Brisbane in a day many a times. Commuting between Adelaide and Sydney, overnighting in Wagga. Visiting the rellies again from Adelaide, overnighting in West Wylong.
Longest in one day from Packsaddle on the Silver City Highway north of Brocken Hill to Sydney, 1300 kays including 120kays of dirt. Only because I left my wallet on the bowser in the Hill and not realising until Wilcannia and only had enough money stashed on the bike for petrol.

Thanks Brett, Was a great weekend away.
Love riding with Brett and Tom, always a good laugh.
Cold wasn't so bad, only truly cold from my place to PI to be honest...:unsure:
Outstanding weekend of racing thanks to the Redax team.
Seeing and hearing those girls go round the track with Matt on board is something else :love:
And great to see Maurice and Black Betty making a comeback, sensational Mo.
Catching up with Serge and the Vic boys is always a treat.

Rolled into the garage at 7.30 last night, so a way longer day coming home,
Number plate looked a tad worse for wear, obviously not made to withstand the 180 pulse of a Redaxed triple🙂

PS apologies for the plate licking, was a tradition passed down to me by my wife's father, he was a guerilla fighter against the PLA back in the day. He certainly knew how to savour every last morsel.

IMG_5667.jpg

Last edited:
Probably why I have 6 bolts with 20mm washers holding all my numberplates on. Found Will's plate laying on the road on a Snowy Run once. Those washers MIGHT help with a Speed Camera bust, probably not but worth a try.

20mm washers. Hmmm 15 is a fail then. Happened somewhere between Nimbin and Mt Tamborine. It later led to an interesting story about discovering QLD police can ride their bikes through gaps in the fence on the motorway further north to pursue speeders on the other side of the motorway... Can't do that in W.A.

WA Plate.jpg

There sometimes called Penney washers or Gutter washers and nylons, as I said to Piet in another thread spreading the load, puncture shear in engineering terms. So that's 3 fixings top and bottom. I know that sounds crazy but these new number plates are alloy and soft as butter. Anything is better than a trip to Services NSW.

Just a thought, but this might be a solution:
Make sure surfaces are scrupulously clean before use, but this tape, I'm sure there must be similar in Oz, is vibration resistant and sticks like sh*t to a blanket.

Number Plate Tape.jpg

I have used similar in building work, the lot fell down after a day of bright sun. It went back up using sections of that tape and proper adhesive out of a silicon gun. My experience it doesn't like heat.

Back