Sears Point racetrack 1999

Brian Rahm

Back in 99 I rode up from Santa Cruz CA to Sears Point racetrack that summer to attend classic vintage races. At the time there were several makes of motorcycles offering test rides throughout the Napa valley. One of the marquees was Laverda. I don't remember what model I rode for about an hour but I do remember trembling with excitement on my first encounter with a Laverda. I was wondering if anyone else on this forum may have been to the races in 99 at Sears point and remembers the Laverdas that were there? I just bought a 72SF 750 and am waiting on the shipment to arrive to Alaska.Laverda.jpg

Welcome to the forum Brian. It would have been a Zane Laverda you test rode back then, a vastly different animal to the nice looking Breganze SF you have on it's way to you. Do you have any history with the Breganze beasts?

Fairbanks Alaska has got to be a very short motorcycle riding season up there, land of the midnight sun so I guess you can ride day or night. A very nice SF you have found and you are on the right Forum there is a wealth of Laverda knowledge and experience on these pages, welcome. The Laverda you test rode back in 99 at Sears was a Zane Laverda (modern Laverda factory) and has nothing in common with the Breganze Laverda (old Laverda factory) other than they are both twins and carry the name Laverda. Breganze twins (y)(y)

You are correct ,it is a short season but we make the most of it during the long summer nights. I have ridden throughout the night many times enjoying the spectacular scenery and surroundings of this diverse and immense state we call home with no discernible demarcation between dusk and dawn. As you drift into the timelessness of it it is easy to lose yourself in the moment which to me is what riding is all about.

They make use of their long winter, been reading this for years. The road bikes are towards the end.

Back