Our fast disappearing rural gas stations

G

Grant

Most economical, and thirstiest, triple I had was my 120 Jota.
I often got 50 mpg bimbling along, and one time it got 20 mpg being caned mercilessly to keep a ZZR1100 behind it on the twisties in the Scottish Borders.

Maurice would need to provide the distance involved so we can work out consumption, but as the unfaired Jota used a little bit more than the SFC that seems acceptable. The RGS on the other hand must have a serious set up issue, or a leak, or something. Doesn't sound right to me.
All at the same pace on the same road and the same distance?

mauricejota7604

The distance travelled on that tank of fuel was about 170km travelling between 120-130km/h, Terry the RGS rider was about 6 foot 2 inches and made the RGS look small Tom the rider on the Jota about 6 foot and about 100kg me the midget 5 foot 8 inches 80kg.
And all the bikes were running very well.

Attachments

• concourse 2010 009.jpg
    concourse 2010 009.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 40

3PATC

Well red must be the most economical colour and yellow the least so it follows that orange must be somewhere in between. Didn't you lot do painting at school?

G

Grant

Maurice, they are all handsome beasts. The yellow really works on the RGS, never would have thought it, as my yellow CB750F always looked like an explosion in a custard factory.

Converted into imperial for numpties like myself to get a bearing on it that makes:
SFC: 53.7 mpg
Jota: 37.1 mpg
RGS: 30.2 mpg

In isolation they all seem sort of reasonable, but it makes the SFC/RGS difference stand out more.
Aerodynamics? Rider weight? Riding style? Carb jet sizes, and so on.

Interesting.

L

lemonjelly

I agree Grant I get about 120miles to my tank before reserve,btw I had a custard F1 too

Lemon Trifle

Attachments

• P1010425.JPG
    P1010425.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 11

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
Had a little blast yesterday on my (red) RGS to a local Lav meeting and then on to the Schotten Grand Prix, just under 400km "spirited" B-roads round trip. Fuelling up at 287km into the ride resulted a total of 17.23 litres slushing into the tank, full to the brim.

6.00l/100km
16km/l
47mpg :wink:

piet

G

Grant

Guys,
I am sure we all get slightly different fuel consumption, but it depends on how hard we are riding, type of road we are in, density of traffic, stop/start etc.
I don't want to start a war on who gets what fuel consumption, just interested to try to work out why these are getting such drastic differences.

These 3 bikes were travelling at the same speed on the same road, so it has to come down to a few basic factors:
riding style
carb settings (or overall state of tune)
aerodynamics (including rider size and weight)

As I said, all 3 fuel consumptions are credible, but not at the same speed on the same road.

G

Grant

My first thought too.
Second was what if the SFC is underjetted, running too lean?

Then again as I said earlier my 120 Jota could achieve such economy on a gentle run.

Maybe the RGS was tail end Charlie, playing catch up and gassing it more?

T

terry dymond

G'day troops,
Just come onto the forum and found this discussion about the fuel consumption between the three bikes.
I own the yellow RGS in question and the amount of fuel taken on by each bike was a 'topic of conversation' at each fuel stop between Goulburn and Brisbane, with bragging rights going to Maurice each time :D.
My RGS has got about 260,000 kays on the clock, the carbies haven't been touched apart from the normal stuff like setting the float heights and slide synchronisation, the needles and jets are original, but it is way overdue for a tune.
Grant, I think you are right, most of the time I was 'tail end charlie', Maurice and Tom have been riding together a long time and therefore are used to each other's pace and style, so its natural that at times I was playing catch-up. By the way, thanks for the compliment on the colour of my bike, yellow, alloy and satin black seem to compliment each other I think.
On the 2000 km trip back to Adelaide (on my own), I was typically putting in about 14 litres every 200 km, cruising at 120. This is about the same mileage I was getting about twenty years ago so I has never worried me that much.
Good pictures Maurice, hope you got the parts.

Ride safe
Terry

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
Terry,

260000K on the original needles and needle jets?  They're normally worn out at around 100000!

7l/100km sounds ok, so where did the almost 10l/100km mentioned earlier come from, at similar speeds at that?  Strong headwind??  But then the other bikes would have had a higher consumption too.

piet

Yellow RGSs rock!! :D

L

lemonjelly

As Scrumpy suggested fits in well here on this thread..

Lemon

Attachments

• P1010435.JPG
    P1010435.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 41
O

Openroads

Lovely day up here in the Highlands, so jumped on the Rescue Dawg and headed west.  Down the Loch (Ness) it was pretty busy, but once I picked up the wonderous A87 towards the Isle of Skye things improved dramatically.  Bike running very well.

One relic parked up in front of another.  The very famous Eilean Donan Castle from the frankly daft film Highlander, among others.  Lovely smell of the sea here.

301010009.jpg

Decided to try to get a photo of the gas station in Loch Carron (sort of over the hill to the north of the last pic.  Love it here, nice and peaceful, apart from all the bikers heading through on their way to climb Belach na Ba..

301010001.jpg

And here it is: Loch Caron's other gas station.  Pity about the glove on the ground, didn't notice it when I took the shot. :headbang:

301010006.jpg

Time for a Sheep!

L

lemonjelly

Lovely pics,very envious of the scenery, seeing those i ll have to get to Exmoor this weekend all being well.

Shaun

I didn t notice my lid either!

G

Grant

I was somewhat let down when I visited Eilean Donan and found it had only been built in the 30s from a ruin.
Some rich Canadian retracing his roots or something.
It is still an impressive piece of real estate though, and the location is perfect.

O

Openroads

A little harsh maybe?  It was restored by the Macraes, I think this is their clan area, there is a wee ruined church around the corner surrounded by their graves.

This from the official website:

For the best part of 200 years, the stark ruins of Eilean Donan lay neglected, abandoned and open to the elements, until Lt Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap bought the island in 1911. Along with his Clerk of Works, Farquar Macrae, he dedicated the next 20 years of his life to the reconstruction of Eilean Donan, restoring her to her former glory. The castle was rebuilt according to the surviving ground plan of earlier phases and was formally completed in the July of 1932.