Our fast disappearing rural gas stations

R

Reggie3cl

OK, this may not run, but there's a similar thread on ADVrider.

I'm trying to remember to take pics when I'm gassing up in the sticks 'cos these independent rustic gas stations are an endangered breed.  The first two are at Shiel Bridge (Five Sisters of Kintail in the background of the first one) on the road to Skye.

Oct11005-1.jpg

Oct11006.jpg

Reggie

If you find anywhere that still sells shots of 2 stroke oil please tell me.

COYG

Lochcarron.  Buy some gas, a Red Bull and a sarnie, cross over the road and sit by the water...

lochcarron.jpg

Kinlochewe.  Late April, plenty of snow on the hills.  Gas station not open until May.  Had to turn back as it was a Sunday and no guarantee fuel was available in the next village. ::)

gairloch012-1.jpg

Another outrageously georgeous Autumn day today so off out on the RGS down to the Scottish Borders to see the folks. The pic was taken at Clintmains near St Boswells, the station is no longer used and the lamps have sadly gone from the tops of the pumps but a nice wee spot nonetheless.
  Hey! what? max file size was 300things yesterday, only 250 today. You will just have to sit a bit closer to the screen then.. :)

Keith.

Attachments

• old pumps.JPG
    old pumps.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 90
  This ones on the A811 between Stirling and Drymen. Weather up here has been glourious again today.

Keith

Attachments

• 005_1_1.JPG
    005_1_1.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 48
Superb!  Enjoy the weather, the bearings are in and the stanchions are clamped...

How about some pics from the US on this one?

Reggie

These are gonna keep coming, I'm afraid  ;)

Ullapool, West Coast, northern Scotland 1 April 2009:

1april006.jpg

1april003-1.jpg

Reggie

Northern Wisconsin:
This is the rear of a bar on the snowmobile trail in Moquah.
Not much nicer on the inside.
No Laverda shot here, but the sled has three cylinders...
Three inches of snow today. Bugger.

Attachments

• Sleds small.JPG
    Sleds small.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 64
Reggie3cl said:
OK, this may not run, but there's a similar thread on ADVrider.

I'm trying to remember to take pics when I'm gassing up in the sticks 'cos these independent rustic gas stations are an endangered breed.  The first two are at Shiel Bridge (Five Sisters of Kintail in the background of the first one) on the road to Skye.

Reggie

Hi Reggie,

Done that on the SF2.
Don't you mean petrol stations or do you also go to the movies rather than the pics, or the flics or the cinema?

Best regards from France
ciao
Paul

Hey Paul

I could have sworn you were a doctor, not a pedantic lawyer :D

My accent wanders- I frequently get asked if I'm an Australian (and the wife's accent is not strong- she's a Kiwi) but as I spend lots of time talking to Americans perhaps I do sometimes flip between gas and petrol, but really the only thing that really pisses me off is when people here in the UK have a pain in the ass.  What, their donkey is in need of anasthetic?  It's ARSE!!!

Never said I was consistent, did I? :angel:

Cheers

Reggie

Ullapool... The Summer Isles...Skye... The Most Beautiful part of the British Isles.... I have never seen such majestic scenery in my life....Fantastic  :) :)

Thank You for the memories chaps  :)... Will bring a jerry can next time .

Tim

The Three Dellortos said:
Ullapool... The Summer Isles...Skye... The Most Beautiful part of the British Isles.... I have never seen such majestic scenery in my life....Fantastic  :) :)

Thank You for the memories chaps  :)... Will bring a jerry can next time .

Tim

Don't you mean a German can?

P.

Not a pro, but I can be had for the right money :D

Technically I suppose it isn't a gas station, although I suspect that when it was built you'd be able to get gas in two gallon drums there.  It's only half the building (the other half says something about electrical service) but there were modern cars parked out front which I didn't want in the picture.

Cheers

Reggie

Back