Sidestand Bracket - Kitset now available for shipping

bushman

This post is to report that the kit set for the sidestand kits is now done. I was reluctant to send them out until I did a trial fit on my Jarama - which meant waiting for the mail man to deliver a ZZR stand from ebay. That came today and the fit went like a dream - the stand is in perfect location, clears the muffler and holds the bike very stable. I purchased a '00 '01 '02 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R, '05 ZZR 600 Sidestand for $14.95. So I can add that the 600 stand will work as well as the ZZR 1100/1200's

The kit now includes choice of 2 stainless steel 6mm plates - 1 notched for cross over gear shaft and the other for the RH gear shift.
Bolts are stainless steel, machined heads, nylock nut and washers.
Spacer is 25mm dia machined billet aluminum.
The finish on the bracket is satin - wire wheel matte finish, matches cast aluminum,
You will have to buy your own stand.

The bracket is tapped M10x1.25 for the stock mounting bolts that come with the stand. One bolt will have to be shortend to clear the Laverda frame. There is probaly not enough room to use the stand that bolts in from the back. If you already have one of those, I would drill it thru and use a M10x1.25 bolt.

It looks like if I want to keep my centre stand, I will need to shorten the stick out lever to clear the sidestand, or as some of you have done remove it all together.

Here are some photos.

For those of you who have already placed an order, I will be shipping them out in the next day or two and I will PM you offline with payment details.

I have at least another 8 or 10 kit sets available - contact me offline if you are wanting one.

With the bolts and spacer, I need to charge $25US. This is just the cost for the materials, the waterjet etc. - none of my own time is charged. I have no financial interest in making money on this, after all these Laverdas are meant to just be a hobby.

As a recap - this bracket was "engineered" by other members of this forum, I am just fortunate enough to have a mate with a waterjet. I thank those that made this idea work in the first place.

Cheers
JIM

Attachments

• IMG-DSC_0160.JPG
    IMG-DSC_0160.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG-DSC_0154.JPG
    IMG-DSC_0154.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG-DSC_0155.JPG
    IMG-DSC_0155.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 333
What a great job !!.... I had NO idea that water could cut stainless like that !

That is one process I would love to see ...

Just before I go.... Sidestands and Laverdas MAKE PERFECT SENSE !! :D

Tim

Nice work.  Looks like the 600 stand tucks in a bit better than the 1200 one on my bike.  It'll be interesting to compare the two set ups.

Cheers

Reggie

lawrence3 said:
Supurb kit  :)
Just a matter of clarification: if I wanted to fit this to my 1983 Mirage 1200TS, I'd also have to fit the rearset footpegs, corrrect?
Great job! Thanks.
Ciao,
Lawrence

No, the bracket fits at the knurled boss for the footpeg, goes between the footpeg and boss. A friend here has a 83 Mirage and I will do one up for him with some milled slots so the footpeg will nut turn around (like the knurling). It will be easy to do two at a time. Give me a week or two and I will let you know how it turns out.

JIM

Jim,

If there is another kit available with the knurled part for standard footrests I'd like a set as well.

Regards,

David

Hi Jim - if you are able to do a plate with knurled part, I would like to buy one of those also (though this means I will have two plates!).  I hope this is ok?  :-\

Many thanks
Craig

Thanks for the clarification, Jim.  please add me to the list of your customers  :)

Hi Jim,

Will the kit fit a 120 Jota?  I'd be happy to place an order with you if it does  :)

Regards
Dave

As long as it is not a RGA Jota (I think those have already the RGS-Frame, right?), it should fit. Difference between 180? Type II and 120? is motor-mounting points and some minor weldings to strengthen the frame if I remember right. Footrest mounting should be the same. It is even more simple on the 120? Jota I would assume, as the cross-over linkages are not existing (120? Jota should be originally left-shifter, right?).

All the best

Lothar

Thanks for the confirmation Lothar.

Jim,  How can I contact you off line to place an order, do you have a e-mail address or shall I let you know mine?

Dave

triton said:
Will the kit fit a 120 Jota? 

Hi Dave,
                The sidestand bracket bolts onto the redundent footpeg mounting on the 180 frame,

and as far as i remember the 120 frame doesn`t have this mounting

so i wouldn`t have thought it`d fit, but i`m only sumising. :-\

Cheers Rob

Hi Dave,

I checked some fotos from 120? Jotas and - damn - Rob seams to be right... I was not aware that the 120? Jotas all had the rearset-footrests in the triangle of the frame and not the original holders the 180? had. Shame on me - in that case, it will NOT fit. OR: you would need to drill a hole into the Plate where the 180? footrest holder sits and take a longer Distance-piece... But then again: the rubber-mount of the motor could be in the way...

so - NO, 120? Jota will NOT work from what I see currently for the reasons above!

Thanks Rob for the heads-up! ;-)

Thanks for confirming that Rob & Lothar - I have also been looking thru some books & photos and I couldn't see the knurled foot peg bracket - so was beginning to think the bracket would not work.

Sorry about that Dave.

JIM

Just an update on the "slotted" bracket production.

I have been talking with the waterjet guy and we are going to do another run of brackets with the radial slots for the footpeg mounting. It seems that we can do a 1mm deep x 2mm radial slot to help locate the footpeg with the waterject rather than individually milling each slot - which was my original plan. In the end I didn't fancy spending a day at my milling machine, when a waterjet should be able to produce the required slot pattern in seconds - means biting the bullet with the current stock of plain brackets.

I have shipped the plain brackets already, so hopefully you can bear with me while we get these slotted ones done.

As an aside, I don't plan on continuing selling these items personally - I would prefer to supply someone like Wolfgang who would do all the mail out. To send out the 8 brackets on Saturday, I spent 4 hours in the office, when I could have been attending to  the Laverda. Just a matter of time prioirties. It is a nice idea to get few extra's done, but in the end the time commitment to suddenly start manufacturing and distributing parts is not for me. I run another consulting business that actually does pay its way and allows me to fluff up the contents of the garage with things like Laverda's and MV's...

The bracket kitsets will continue to be available and will probably sell at market price. I will fill all current and pending orders, but after that you'll be referred to an actual mail order supplier. There seems to be a growing demand and I can see that down the road many other owners will want one of the best add on, practical items for their ride.

Ciao
JIM

Waterjet guy dropped off sample of the radial slots for the footpeg mounting. Looks pretty impressive considering it takes only seconds to do the slots.

Production will be in next few days, so looks like I will be shipping these out on the weekend. Thanks for your patience.

BTW on the subject of the which stand to use - I have tried 2 stands, one from a ZZR 600 (newer) and it works just fine - it is considerably lighter than the ZZR 1200 one which is a very solid casting. The 600 stand might be easier to find.

Cheers
JIM

Attachments

• IMG-DSC_0268.JPG
    IMG-DSC_0268.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 84
Back