COLOUR SCHEMES

Jotahowl

Hi all esteemed members.  I have been posting for a while without formally introducing my bike to you. 
She is a 76 3CL which I believe has been Jotarised.  She has 4C inlet,A11 exhaust,big bore collector,standard exhaust (as opposed to JOTA mufflers).  Now fitted with DMC2 ignition.  For Jlo she is
4223 and I am happy for you to include that in your register.  Am unsure whether she has Hi comp pistons as the head hasn't been off since I've had her.  Slaters reckon that she is 2 serials off one of their build runs.  She is black frame rather than silver.  She is in black with pinstriping in gold  (ala Norton Commando colours).  I will post a picture when I figure out how to.

My question to the world....are there any 3CLs /Jotas out there in black and gold?  My bike was brought in from Aussie and I know this is a common colour scheme there but I have yet to see one in any other country 

Jotahowl

My question for the Aussies.I have seen original Two Wheels magazine articles featuring Black/Gold Jotas.    What is known about these bikes?  Was an aussie firm (Stanco?) up-spech ing them and painting them this colour?  As far as I am aware this colour scheme exists only in the aussie bikes.

I have a mate with one exactly the same but with silver frame.  Has anyone sat down and come up with a list of standard colour schemes (maybe with pictures?) of the standard Laverda paint schemes.

Still waitin on my rear wheel repair.Slop between wheel and wheel bearing.  Getting it welded and re-machined to remove the slack. Hopefully back next week........

Cheers Shorty  NZ

Dellortoman

G'day Shorty

I think I might have the younger brother of your bike. My 1976 3CL originally came via the Aussie importer, Stanco. With number 4720 it's a bit later in the series than yours. It was converted to Jota spec in 1980 and re-painted orange with silver frame, but the previous owner (who bought it new) said it was originally back with gold pinstripes. Maybe I should get in touch with him to see whether he has any photos of its original paint scheme.

Here's a recent photo that I posted in another thread
index.php

Cheers,
Cam
(Tasmania)

Jotahowl

Thanks my Taswegian mate.    I am seriously interested in the colour scheme.  Who decided in aussie to use a different scheme from the rest of the world.  Were they trying to convert Norton riders to the marque?  As I've said plenty of black and gold in the aussie bike mags but none in the rest of the world.

Cheers Shorty......rear wheel due mid next week.

Shajota

Hey Shorty

There was a discussion about this a while ago.
Try-  http://laverdapedia.com/forum/index.php?topic=34296.0

Hope this has some of what you're looking for. No doubt some will chip in again if not.

regards

Jotahowl

Thanks muchly for that Shajota.  I should have used the search engine first, so that I'm not re-inventing the wheel for the long-standing members.    Note to self for future.

Thanx

Vince

First thought was I have never seen a black one,and then,Crispin has one,Chris has one and there was an SF3 in Hornsby that was Black,thats a lot localy,Sydney

redax5

Administrator
Staff member
back in late 79, early 80 I was sharing a house in Brisbane with a guy who ran by the nickname of Germ.
he had a black and gold 79 Jota and I had my orange and silver Jota.
from what I remember from those years, and it is possible my memory has been chemically altered from those days, his black and gold Jota came direct from the factory painted that way, I am 100% certain of it.

When I placed the order for my 79 Jota, the dealer Ted Saga gave me the option of purchasing an orange/silver or black/gold Jota, I chose the orange color of course.

Interesting story from those days, Germ used to ride both bikes while I was out drilling, I'd be gone for 10 weeks at a time so he would give mine a run.
He was a local lad where we lived so cops knew he had the black/gold Jota but did not know of my bike.
He did a runner one night from the cops while riding my bike, got away from them okay, in those days all the coppers had were Honda 4's.
Local Sergent came around to our place to check his bike as they recognized the fleeing bike as a Laverda Jota.
Both bikes were parked side by side in the garage but mine had a cover over it, Sergent saw his black/gold Jota and said, ok, we thought you may have painted yours, we'll keep looking for that maniac on the orange one then.
I came back from work 3 weeks later and was nabbed by the cops but could prove quite easily that I was 1,000 miles away at the time so they could not charge me for anything.
Great times back then.

Tchau
Red

LaverdaIan

Hey.. Red may be a little "chemically altered" back then, so perhaps he forgets that my first Jota was a Black/Gold unit. Bought from Rabbi at CycleWorld Stones Corner. Had been looking around for a while since hooking up with the Qld Laverda lads (my first life mistake.. ;)) and he rang one day and said he had two in the shop. Grabbed my mates Rad and Pete Hammond and down we went for a gander... well, both were VERY 2nd hand, lotsa miles, and pretty rough... the neater one of the two had a buckled rear wheel..??! so I did a deal with Rabbi that if we could swap the wheels between the two, I'd be cool.... Took it for a "test" ride about 30 minutes later... my first solo ride on a Laverda, and a rough-as-guts Jota at that... felt like a tractor on two wheels, seat as hard as nails, no brakes...but went like the clappers and sounded awesome... nearly killed meself about a dozen times bucking and weaving out in peak hour traffic along Old Cleveland road and (fortunately) back again. Frightened the absolute c**p outta me, and as I promised myself that "this thing will kill me the first chance I give it.." I found meself parting with the readies, and away I went.... Soon figured the thing out, and sorted, with the help of my good friends, and lots of good days were had. Unfortunately it was one of the soft crown head models, and I was always chasing shim clearance... After many a ride, it all came to an end after one memorable run to the Aussie GP at Bathurst, where I had shimmed it the last night before we left, and by the time we got home it wouldn't even idle.. I recall running most of the red lights in the last 10k's to just get home. At the "home now, sit down piss up and review" Red kindly got it through it my thick and resistant skull that the motor would have to come out and the head done properly this time. This was uncharted territory for most of us at that time.. we were too busy riding, raging, riding to get too serious about that type of stuff... so Red offered to give a hand, starting with removal of the motor.. Well, About 1hr later, there she proudly sat, beside the bike... "Gee that was easy.." thinks I, as Red exits stage left to go home for some well earned kip, and thence off to some obscure place to operate a rig or two...
Me... not a clue in the world... my Laverda skills were well in the future, so there she sat, and sat, and sat... until Rabbi.. (you remember him) rang me up one day to say he had a buyer.... The rest is history...
So that's my rave about the Black/Gold Jotas in Oz. Got no idea who ended up with the other one, but I'm sorry for the bloke..that one was a real dog...
Ciao

LaverdaIan

Yea Crispin, that's the one..!!
Got that animal about it eh..??!!

Don't reckon Stanco was wasting money repainting them though, reckon it was factory colour... after all, they did the 20th anniversary 1200 in Black/Gold.

Ian

G

Grant

As posted recently by I think JLO.
Proof that they were shipped from Breganze in black/gold.

Attachments

• black2.jpg
    black2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 115
J

jlo

Jota howl said:
For Jlo she is 4223 and I am happy for you to include that in your register.

Registered, thanks!
As Grant said, Black/gold colours were original, with silver or gold wheels. For which market exactly I don't know... A shame that I was not able to find an old factory advertisement that I saw once, showing a black 3CL, it seems to me that the stripes were silver, not 100% sure. If someone has it, it shows the 3CL with a newly married couple...

G

Grant

In my trawling through the net for Laverda articles and pictures (sad, isn't it?) I am sure I have seen black Jotas with gold pinstripes and silver wheels, but also black Jotas with silver pinstripes and gold wheels, does anyone else confirm this, or have I got Alzheimers Light?

P

paul-haggis

Hi Grant, the 'crate' photo shows silver frame+wheels and gold frame+wheels (30th I guess). Both appear to have gold stripes though. I can't recall ever seeing a black+silver stripes though.

S

Scrumpyjack

I used to own a "W" reg (1981?) Black and Gold Jota, it had black frame and gold wheels. As much as I like the orange Jota's I think this shaded it. I bought it from a BBC cameraman in london and took it back down to the westcountry. If you look hard in one of my albumns you will see a poor quality picture of it. It is unmistakable as I have cut my ex out of it, so there is only 80% of the picture left. I have no idea what happened to the bike after I sold it. I do not recollect seeing another black and gold jota.

Scrumpy 

G

Grant

Crispin, that photo of your black triple should carry a health warning, as it gets my pulse racing every time I see it.
Although I want my project to be different I keep coming back to that paint job...

Any more pics???

S

Scrumpyjack

I'm not sure if these ended up in the gallery, so here they are. I was right about the quality but wrong about what was cut out.

Scrumpy

Attachments

• Jota_8.jpg
    Jota_8.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Jota_9a.jpg
    Jota_9a.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 77
G

Grant

Here's one with silver stripes and gold wheels.
No idea if it was standard that way though.

Attachments

• black1.jpg
    black1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 91

Jotahowl

Mornin all,    Thanx for all the replies it has been most informative.  I'm just going to summarize and hopefully not make too many assumptions.
      Firstly a revelation ......the black and gold scheme is factory and not an aussie only as I initially thought.  Jlo is your photo of one at a wedding just a picture or is it an advert?? Now that would be interesting.
      So from what I have gleaned (and don't forget we are talkin 3CLs and Jotas here)

1.      Black tank silver pinstripe silver frame gold wheels  is factory scheme.  (I love the fact that the photo of the guy goin for a fang shows the wider section of the pinstripe on the inside) Luvly NZ colour scheme black/silver.  Photo from 3 Triples shows same scheme but standard pinstripe arrangement.  3 Triples...are you in NZ by any chance?

2.      Black tank gold pinstripe silver wheels either black frame or silver frame is factory.  Confirmed from Jlo's great photo and Red, Crispin, Cam and me and another kiwi bike I know.

Sorry to make a big deal of this I'm just interested in my bikes pedigree.

Now and this is where it gets interesting... Scrumpys bike..Black tank gold pinstripe black frame gold wheels.    In the UK???    Any more sightings of this colour scheme in the UK or Europe????   

Jotahowl

Once again thanx for the input.

Jlo I havent seen or read your book yet.  Sorry I must search it out.  Does it include factory colour schemes for Laverdas???  I feel that that would be a valuable resource on this site.

Crispin.... apart from your 1 1/2 seat and Jota mufflers our bikes appear identical ...even down to the handlebar mirror.  I'll have to get sorted and post some photo's.

Ahhh....what a brilliant resource to motivate my sorry arse in to gear to sort my bike.

Cheers Shorty