PLEASE READ - bad motorcycle accident, Wolfgang and Margot's son Chris

I'm sorry to read of Chris's misfortune.
I hope he recovers from it although I know it will be a long tortuous road.

Best wishes to Chris and his family.

Rob

God what a nightmare. I will send along a few $$ asap.

My rather brief dealings with Wolfgang & Margot have been nothing but the absolute best; passionate and knowledgeable to the nth degree. My heart & sould goes out.

I am relieved to read Chris made it through those extremely difficult surgeries and is in a good place. Just please let's hope the rehab is smooth as possible.

And let's hope that driver, truck, and company is found asap.. :police:

Hello All,

this is Alexandra, Wolfgang and Margot's daughter and Chris' "big, little sis" as he likes to call me. I just wanted to extend a big THANK YOU to all of you for your outpouring of concern, prayers, support and offers of help. We are trying to keep strong for Chris during this difficult time and all the support has been overwhelming but also uplifting.

Chris had yet another surgery yesterday to work on his leg to make it ready for a prostetic leg once the time comes. Unfortunately, he needed a skin graft to close the wound as there was not enough to work with at the injury site. The surgery went well and when we saw him last night he was doing very well. He is already giving the nurses attitude which we see as a good sign...

Last we heard they were hoping to transfer him out of the ICU to the trauma unit as he is very alert and doing well overall. This morning they were going to attempt to feed him some real food. Here is to hoping that it stays down to give him strength rather than come back up to cause him more pain. He is now attached to pain medication he can dose himself which allows him to be much more independent of the nurses, which is also a good thing.

Overall, things are looking up although the chances of infection will remain very real for the time being. We are hoping that his recovery will remain smooth....

Since we are not sure where he will be staying in the hospital, please feel free to send any cards or wishes to my address at:
Alexandra Haerter
210B 7 Street NE
Calgary, AB T2E 4C2

Paul was kind enough to print out your comments on this forum for us and we will be giving them to Chris to read soon too now that he is feeling a bit better.

Thank you again to all of you. We are simply overwhelmed by the outpouring of support.

Alexandra Haerter and family

Just got word of this terrible accident today.  Chris makes everyone coming to Wolfgang and Margo's July rally feel like a member of his family.  An outstanding young man who has been a huge help to so many of us out in Nakusp. 

My thoughts are with all his family... $$ on to way to the paypal account too.

Paul & Alexandra - thanks for keeping us informed of his progress.  He's a strong individual and will pull through this.  Love the comment about him giving the nurses "attitude"... sounds just like Chris.

Please let us know when he is well enough to have visitors.

Andy Ebbern

Hi all

well, Chris has been released from Intensive Care and moved within the hospital to begin the healing and rehabilitation process. Timing is still unknown, but I suspect he will be in hospital for an extended period yet, as the grafts have to heal up on the damaged leg before the process of fitting a prosethesis can begin, and the internal injuries still have to heal.

according to Margot, Chris is maintaining a positive attitude, he knows that while seriously injured he is lucky to be alive and still available to continue to raise his young son, Cameron.

as for donations, as of this morning I have received to my PayPal account, calculated in U.S. dollars from all the various currencies, the sum of $2,334.39 for Chris's benefit. I am also aware of an additional $250 Canadian on its way directly to Chris in a card, and there are some promises of funds by direct deposit once I obtain the necessary bank direct deposit info from my bank and supply it to those who have asked to do a direct deposit rather than PayPal. I haven't spoken to Chris himself yet, but I know the family is deeply moved by the outpouring of well wishes and concern and support. Any further donations will also be deeply appreciated by Chris, I am sure.

so far as I am aware, the truck driver still has not come forward or been located, which raises some real insurance issues where the party who caused the injuries remains unknown and unavailable to claim against for rehabilitation costs, lost income, pain and suffering, loss of a limb, etc.

Thanks to you all.

Paul LeClair

Paul great news and happening fast,shows strong determination.One of the comments made here was a 400lb piece of metal must have an end use and be heading somewhere,hope its getting the full attention from the cops it deserves.

Hi Vince

apparently it was a large fork lift arm, one of the pair of tines that typicaly stick out the front of a forklift for lifting pallets and such. You would think someone would notice it gone missing, but maybe they don't want to admit to nearly killling, and definately maiming, someone. Anyway, no news as yet about the truck and driver.

Paul LeClair

G'day Paul,
Could you let us know when your direct deposit system has been set up.

Regards

Terry

Just back from visiting Chris in the hospital... seems to be in very good spirits.  He is very, very appreciative of all the well wishes that have been fired off his way.  He has a long and tough period still ahead of him, but his progress so far seems remarkable considering the extent of his injuries.  

I talked with Chris this week end, he is in great spirits.  Chris is already designing a new bike, we talked about the components that he wants to use and his ideas for his next Laverda.  He is planning on having the new bike completed for the next rally.  Chris is so very appreciative to everyone for there support
and prayers.  He asked me to post his direct number so he can recieve your calls.  He said that everyones support is helping him get through this. Chris's direct number is 4039444671. 

Hi all

I spent some time with Chris today. He is now in the "Trauma Ward" and will likely be there for some time. The phone number Mike posted is to a phone Chris has on his bedside table, and Andy and Diana have set him up with a WiFi enabled Notebook computer. which he had logged into FaceBook while I was there......

Chris is being very positive, and that will serve him in very good stead. The reality is that the lower leg amputation and eventual fitting of a prosthesis are likely the least of his injuries that he has to heal from, the internal injuries were severe, required significant surgery to repair, and will require months to slowly heal. It is probably realistic to expect that he will be off work for at least a year.

The driver and truck still have not been located, Advertising in various local papers is about to begin asking for any information, and flyers are going to be printed and distributed for the same purpose.

Paul LeClair

I cross my fingers they'll find him. Not so much to punish him but more so that his (hopefully existing...) insurance covers the costs...! :angry:

Hi all

wow! Talk about the power of this forum, the regard of the worldwide Laverda community, the obvious high regard held for the Haerter family, and the collective identification with a young man seriously injured through no fault of his own while doing something we all love.....

as of mid day August 3, 2010 I have received for Chris's benefit to my PayPal account in various currencies the sum of $2,978.09 U.S. (the funds remain in the various currencies received, just roughly converted to get a total), plus $250 CDN has been sent directly to the Haerter's that I know about, as well as various promised further funds to come by direct international deposits once I sort that out with my bank. THANKS TO YOU ALL,  and I am told Wolfgang and Margot will be responding individually to each donor over time, but they are still busy dealing with practicalities at the moment.

the next issue will be how best to effectively use the funds for the benefit of Chris and his son Cameron. It looks like Chris has a long rehabilitation period before him, a long time off work, and it as yet remains unknown what B.C. Health Insurance, B.C. motor vehicle insurance, and Alberta's Motor Vehicle Accident Claim's Fund will actually pay for. It would also be a different insurance scenario if the truck and driver are ever located. So, lots of unknowns as yet. I will be having a chat with Chris about all of this in due course, but it is still too early to clearly identify longer term needs, and Chris's short term needs and Cameron's short term needs  have been looked after so far by Wolfgang and Margot, who have declined reimbursement when I offered it to them from the growing fund.

Thanks again. What a great bunch of people from all around the world!

Paul LeClair

Paul, good news there.

Just to say that more money is pledged from around the world as soon as you can give details for bank transfers.
Some of us old gits don't use Paypal.

Thanks again for your solid efforts.

Hi Paul,

I agree with you that this Forum and their members obviously stand together and I have fount a lot of help (even if not a cash one, but even more worth one  :wink:) in here and all about a very good spirit.

For me personally it is way enough that I know that Chris gets better and has support from his family and you and others. It does not take Wolfgang or Margot to individually thank everyone I feel, they have way more important things on their agenda sadly that needs their attention.

But I would like to thank YOU, Paul, for your time and afford, your constant updates on Chris and his family, your time and accompany with them.

You find your friends in the bad days of your life, not in the good ones.

Thank you

I  support your comments Lother. For an old bloke who is getting crankier and more despondent almost by the day, this is the stuff that gives you hope for humannity .Being able to help though this forum in a situation like this is thanks enough.
John

Having been away from my computer, I have only just read the terrible news.
Wolfgang and the Haerter family have over the years been such terrific friends to the Laverda community worldwide. (I know there are many others and I do not wish to denigrate their commitment to the upkeep of our Laverda motorcycles).
For this tragedy to happen to a member of the Haerter family transcends all comprehension.
We all know that our chosen pastime is not without danger, but we all like to believe that 99% of the time, our destiny is within our own control.
It is that 1% that we cannot control no matter how experienced a rider we believe we are.
From here in this tiny corner of West Yorkshire, England, myself, family & friends are sending all our prayers and good wishes for Chris to come through this dreadful accident.
It will take time and no doubt prolonged medical assistance to ensure Chris?s recovery and return to a good life.
He and his family should know that the worldwide Laverda fraternity is solidly behind their battle.
David

Hi all
funds have continued to come in for Chris to the PayPal account. Here is a screen capture from my PayPal account as of a couple of minutes ago. To those who want to do direct deposit to a Canadadian account, I will e mail account dd info on Monday, fianally, sorry about the delay.

PayPal balance: $3,290.19 USD Currency converter Available balance in USD (primary): $1,233.87 USD
Total balance (all currencies, available and pending) converted to USD: $3,290.19 USD

Currency Total
USD (Primary) $1,233.87 USD
CAD $975.00 CAD
AUD $550.00 AUD
GBP ?354.02 GBP
EUR ?68.87 EUR

no new news on Chris, I am just about to call him, and will report back on present status shortly.

Thanks all!!

Paul LeClair

Back