Chott[s] on the Edinburgh Trial

N

noneglibob

I'm delighted to announce that there will be two Chotts entering the Edinburgh Trial this October. Hugo Wilson, editor of Classic Bike magazine has foolishly bravely agreed to accompany me and form a two- man Laverda entry and enter the trial. John Faulkener, the ILOC archivist, has kindly offered to loan Hugo one of the Chotts from his collection.

Hugo's a fine rider and , whilst not in the same league as Hugo, I've managed to gain a bit of useful experience on these events over the years so we might even get a decent result. It'll certainly be the first time two Chotts have appeared in the Edinburgh entry list!

Sadly, you need three bikes and riders to form a bona fide team and  thus far I've been unable to locate another running UK Chott and rider to enable us to have a crack at winning the team prize. Maybe next time.  Bob  :D

Here's a pic from last year's event.

Attachments

• edinburgh trial.jpg
    edinburgh trial.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 27
Further to this post I thought I'd put an appeal on here for volunteer marshalls for the event. For some reason the Edinburgh always suffers from a lack of marshalls, mainly because the The Motorcycling Club's [MCC] membership is predominately southern based. So, if you like bikes and cars and fancy an interesting day out in Derbyshire* watching a bit of motorsport and helping to marshall the off-road sections please drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch with the club. Alternatively just google The Motorcycling Club and contact the club direct.
No qualifications are required, just a bit of common sense. It's a very laid back event and I'm sure you'll see some interesting stuff and have some fun. A number of sections are run at night and can be quite spectacular to watch. It isn't necessary to do the night time stints if you don't want to, you can opt to help at the daytime sections.

The location for the Edinburgh Trial was moved south to Derbyshire many years ago. Confusing isn't it ???

are you  not in touch with Ken Hartley Bob?
I recently sold him some new old stock clutch components and I am aware that his Chott is running well,I thought that he has it in mind for this type of competition.It was the last new clutch basket known to mankind (no my name is not Ralph) and I was skint at the time he asked so I sold it, plus it gets another one going again.
CLEM

Hello Clem,
I am in touch with Ken but unfortunately he's had commitments this year which have prevented him getting out on his Chott. I'm delighted you were able to supply him a clutch basket because I know that particular item was keeping his bike off the road. Ken had actually entered the Land's End earlier this year and then discovered the knackered clutch basket which sidelined him.
Ken's keen to get his Chott fettled properly and he's a bit of a perfectionist so I'm sure that once his Chott is ready for competition duties it should be a good 'un.
Which reminds me that I need to get my Chott out into daylight and give it a thorough going over.....

Further to the above posts I'm pleased to report that Ken contacted me at the weekend to say that he is available for the trial and will be submitting his entry this week. We now have the three riders necessary to make up an official Laverda team entry into the trial. This might possibly be the first Laverda team entry into a competitive UK event for 25 years!
I think it'll make a an amusing/interesting feature in Classic Bike! three Gold medals and the team prize....? Yeah right.... :D

Back