Wanted - Brembo Master Cylinder

S

Scrumpyjack

I am after a repair kit for a rear brembo master cylinder fitted to my 1985 Sprint. The piston diameter is 15.8mm and bore 16mm. I have been advised by Motto Mecha that these are now obsolete as the price difference between the repair kit and new master cylnder is not that much. However the distance between centres for the suggested alternative has changed from 50mm to 40mm so will require some work.

If a repair kit is not available I could replace the spring only which has been previously changed and is the real problem. So if anybody can help with repair kit, spring or complete working replacement master cylinder please send me a pm.

Scrumpy

sent you a pm Scrumpy,sorry just checked seem to only have the front one.
Lemon

Scrumpy,

Are you sure about the size???  Rear cylinders are listed as being 11 or 12mm, with levers to fit accordingly.  Can't remember a rear cylinder that large, other than on a Guzzi with linked brakes, maybe.

The size is often (not always) stamped on the cylinder at the brake line end. 

piet

Piet,
I am sure about the size as I treble checked. There is a casting number but no other number. The rear brake was not not working as the remote reservoir wasn't present when I purchased the bike, it may be possibe that it is the incorrect item fitted. Motto Mecca offered a 11mm mastercylinder but he had his reservations on the bike passing the MOT.

Scrumpy

Scrumpy,

With a 15 or 16mm M/C you will need both boots to get a reaction from the rear caliper, other than slightly warming the disc .... :D

Scrumpyjack said:
Motto Mecca offered a 11mm mastercylinder but he had his reservations on the bike passing the MOT.

Don't really think it will, either, with a 11mm piston in a 16mm bore..... :wink:

piet

Scrumpy.. tried Wolfgang or Wagner..?? I don't seem to have much trouble getting Brembo kits.. even locally here in OZ..

piet is right about the big bore needing two feet
it is the same reason the 180's have lousy rear brakes

i've seen 16's and 12's on the usa spec RG series here
i believe the seals are the same as the front master or clutch
just a different piston with a hollow end for the actuating rod

best bet is to find a 12mm rear unit

cheers,
scott

Thanks for all of the advice guys. If I dont find an exact replacement I will look for something of smaller diameter.

Cheers Scrumpy

Scrumpy,

I have been wrong before but:

I believe you have a 15mm piston and that the kits are readily available.
I rebuilt all the m/c on my Jota 120 and they were all 15.8mm dia - strangely these are described as 15mm kits by Brembo.
If you have not talked to Alan at Motomecca, then you need to.

Regards
Simon.

Hello Scrumpy

I bought a new Grimeca unit several years ago as replacement on my Jota when I had unusual problems on the rear brake (turned out to be a slack caliper).
Anway the Grimeca unit turned out to be a direct replacement for the Brembo unit and now resides on my track bike. I bought it from Les Williams a few years back and it was very cheap then..

regards Rob

Attachments

• Grimeca.jpg
    Grimeca.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 17
Sorry Scott I dont truly know, will see if I can guage it without pulling it apart, pls remind me if you dont hear anything in a few days...

Back