Wanted: 2 x inlet manifolds and petrol tank for Monty

moalboal

Hi all,

I have a perished inlet manifold on the Monty and need to replace it. I would prefer a pair of alloys if anyone has or knows a supplier but rubber ones would be fine as well.

I would also like to return the fuel tank to standard - I fitted an aircraft-style filler back in the '80s when that was cool - but now realise that original is far cooler :) Does anyone have a reasonable (ie. not too rusty and intact) condition tank that they want to sell? I believe that Tom has just disposed of one that would have been perfect but there you go :)

Cheers,

Simon.

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
Simon,

Seems the Montys used the Chott inlet stubs, as did the 500 Formulas.  Reckon they're all in the bin by now.  Stubs from any triple will fit, use the Jota type alloy/rubber ones in conjunction with the connecting tube of your original carbs.

piet

moalboal

sfcpiet said:
Seems the Montys used the Chott inlet stubs, as did the 500 Formulas.  Reckon they're all in the bin by now.  Stubs from any triple will fit, use the Jota type alloy/rubber ones in conjunction with the connecting tube of your original carbs.

Thanks Piet. I'm not sure that mine is quite standard - unless the standard inlet stubs overlap the mating sufaces on the head but ~8mm. I'll take some photos to try to show this but in the meantime the current stubs are not leaking. I think over the winter I'll get a pair of alloy ones made up - found someone who will do a pair for ~?25 - which will look much better than the current ones and probably better than than alloy/rubber ones as well.

Many thanks for the info though, filed under "good to know"!!

Cheers,

Simon.

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
Simon,

Laverda mounted the Formula carbs on the rubber stubs for a reason, and I don't think it is the inlet tract length alone.  They could have done that easier with solid stubs  At the time, only clamp fitting PHBs were available, so the factory fitted a short tube in the carb and used the flexible Chott stubs, the same set-up as on the Chott itself.  At high revs, the Chott does buzz, just as the little twins do.  So I can imagine the stubs were fitted to isolate the carbs from high frequency vibes as a measure to cure possible fuel frothing.....

piet

moalboal

Interesting, thank you. Didn't the late Mike Waugh sell solid stubs for the Monty's? Does anyone have anything to add on the possible downsides of all-alloy stubs? I have a Pantah with no rubber involved on the manifolds but that machine is very smooth . . . . At least it's easy to get Jota stubs!

CLEMTOG

I have the alloy stubs which convert the pinch clamp PHF carbs to hose, as used on the Chott, but not the Chott rubber inlet manifolds, in my stash of NOS Chott parts
CLEM

N

noneglibob

Ideally the carbs should be rubber mounted. I've had a bike with one of Mike Waughs stub conversions and it worked OK but I suspect over time a solidly mounted carb could cause problems due to the vibration.
A pair of Clem's conversion stubs for the carbs plus a pair of appropriate inlets off a triple and a set of rubber mounts from Dellorto would do the trick.

Here's a pic of the conversion I did to my bike. This used a pair of triple inlet stubs and I bought a pair of rubber mounted carbs from Dellorto. I've also added an extra isolation rubber to give the carbs some support. Works well...

Attachments

• Barca progress 2.jpg
    Barca progress 2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 32

moalboal

Thanks for all the info; Bob your conversion looks very very tidy!

I was at Tom's yesterday (thanks for all the bits and the loaner) and got a pair of 500 alloy stubs. I plan to use these together with a pair of rubber 180(?) mounts which will bring the inlet tract length out a bit and isolate the carbs. It should be fine to get the bike to the LCS meeting this weekend anyway!

I've attached a couple of photos: the first is the old mounting separate, the second with it in place. As you can see the plates have been re-drilled to suit the smaller 500. Don't know what they were originally from, they were on the bike when I originally bought it in 1984.

Cheers all.

Attachments

• DSC05391.JPG
    DSC05391.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC05393.JPG
    DSC05393.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 8

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
Simon,

Those are Chott inlets, adapted by the factory for the Formula/Monty...  The hole centres are a bit wider apart on the Chott.

piet

moalboal

Thanks Piet, good to know that what's there is meant to be there.

I picked up day plates for the bike today - not imported into Switzerland yet but able to ride it - and have the loaner instruments from Tom so will be able to get to the LCS meeting tomorrow. Taking the long route via central Switzerland but have an infected finger that is causing braking issues. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

I have another question now but will start another thread for that on the tech board.

Thanks everyone for the input, I have enough info to be able to get the manifolds sorted over the winter.

Cheers, have a good weekend.

Simon.

sonicboom500

I have a set of the cast alloy inlet manifolds supplied by Mike Waugh fitted to my Monty.
They sit on the O ring seal which is not fully compressed and are mounted with flat coil Webber
washers to give a bit of vibration isolation. You have to keep an eye on the condition of the
O rings and the carbs sit a little bit from the head.

Kevin