Phillip Island Historic Races Sep 3-5

R

RGA1200IE

Probably about half an hour to our first of two races for the day.  Still very windy, blowing right to left down the main straight, and trying to blow the bikes off turns 1,4,Siberia, Lukey etc.  Sunny now but a heavy shower passed through about 15 minutes ago meaning the track will most likely still be wet or drying for our race.

Bike is now defrocked and looking tough in it's new kitty litter tray.  Niggling problems from earlier in the weekend are sorted and we're just sitting around enjoying the ambience.

Cheers
Steve B

johnwh

Well done guys.I am at work today but wish I could have got down to see the bike run.
Cheers John

R

RGA1200IE

Bit of a mixed bag in that one.  Blair dumped the clutch off the start and got a huge wheelstand, so had to back off and have another bite, of course losing several positions.  Throughout the race he got quicker and quicker, chasing down and passing several bikes.  Late in the race toward the end of the straight something (probably an Oggy Knob or similar) came off the bike 2 ahead of him, and struck him on the knee down near turn 1 at probably 230+kmh.  He still finished strongly but has been to the circuit medical centre after the race and it seems to be just a bruise but it's swelling up a fair bit and is giving him some grief.  Funny thing was that when he came to the pit box the first thing he complained about was his start! :)

On the positive side, the times dropped throughout the race and another lap would have seen him crack into the 1:59's.  Blair rode really well to track down the bikes in front and he even put a move on a GSX on turn 12 and held him off to the line on the last lap.  Great to watch.

One race to go, Blair's saying the knee is coming good and he's confident of riding.

Cheers
Steve B

LaverdaIan

Too good guys.. a real "historic" meeting at a typical Philip weekend.. into the raging wind, bits being thrown at the rider, and bike, more and more others finding out about the power and reliability of the mighty Laverda...(stripped off and naked as she is) whilst they fall by the wayside, and Blair...the mighty (and tough) Blair rides on.. into the fray... go you good things...kitty litter tray and all ::)

All choked up I am lads.. but only coz I'm not there to "feel" the ambience...

Good vibes lads, and thanks Steve for the updates..

Ian

R

RGA1200IE

OK, racing over for the day. Blair had a good race and finished 14th, chased down several guys again and pulled a blinder out of turn 12 to pass a Honda on the run to the line, took 14th by just 0.07sec.  Great stuff.  Now, to pack up...

Cheers
Steve B

LaverdaIan

Well done to OZLaverda team and supporters.. a challenging weekend with good results.. for those that haven't had the chance to see Blair ride this thing, it really is a joy to behold.. very consistent and always squeezing that last little bit... "I push, and then I arriveh... this is goood result for the championship..." :D :wink:

Congratulations to all..
Ian

L

lemonjelly

Well done guys great result,I think the pic of the bike from the pits at night is a real classic shot love it,oh the high heels on the Honda isn t bad either!

Lemon

Rocket

Congratulations to all the team on a fantastic effort all round. Inspirational stuff!!

When you consider the quality of the riders in this class with Aussie legends such as Phillis and Campbell and the huge horsepower advantage the big overbored and tweeked 4 cylinder Japanese machines have, not to mention thoroughbred GP machines such as TZ 750's and RG 500's, it is a real credit to the team to compete so well on what is basically a fairly standard engine. And Blair continually improved over the weekend in very difficult riding conditions that were wet and windy and in what I understand was his first time at the circuit.

Also impressive was the presentation of the OzLaverda team and pit garage, by far the most professionally turned out of all the competitors.

Most importantly the space frame Jota looked and sounded great!!!!!!!!

I can't wait till OzLaverda come back south of the border to compete at Broadford in October.

Cheers
Rod

S

Scrumpyjack

Superb effort guys. Thanks for the updates they have improved a good weekend. An inspiration to us all.

Scrumpy

DavidH

Great effort guys !

Thanks for the updates Steve, and the photos. 
So how about a few photos for JOTTINGS next issue - must be at least one with CeeJay and his famous orange socks.

It's still blowing like anything in Sydney, but hopefully will have calmed down before you head back north.

Travel safely.

johnwh

Fantastic guys and huge thanks for the updates Steve. Even though I was at work I kept checking in to see how things were going.
Cheers John

redax5

Administrator
Staff member
that was a great photo of the sunrise and the tyre warmers
saved that for a screen shot on my laptop

M

morini

Steve,

The girl on the Honda isn't Mandy Beale is it? She flogged all comers a few years ago. Pretty good effort when you look at who she beat.

N

noneglibob

And they let those stiletoes through scrutineering?  :D
Congrats to the team Crispin, good effort.