NON-LAVERDA. wanted -Lyster calliper(s)

conrad

just in case...  (worth a shot)

a couple a colin lyster's pals here in the SINZ are building up a strong-as cb450 with his last frame. They're going great guns, have front discs, but are real keen to source Lyster callipers. Even getting hold of one caliper would see them right chuffed.

Any rumours passed on with gratitude.

regards,
conrad

just a picture
3485364771_98045b07b0_z.jpg

I see no calipers? and,isnt that a seeley front brake (a drum)
come to think of it, didnt the Lister Honda have a 45DCOE webber as well
CLEM

clemtog said:
I see no calipers? and,isnt that a seeley front brake (a drum)
come to think of it, didnt the Lister Honda have a 45DCOE webber as well
CLEM

yeppers, that's a random shot, just cos it was to hand :)  didn't mean to confuse. sorry. just a visual lolly.

rgds,

morini said:
What do they look like?

Chris

thanks heaps for reading Chris,
they look like this. Is the only pic I have of them.

4963034783_b6179f9135_b.jpg

Neville Landrebe had and used lyster callipers. He also let replicas be made of them which went on his and another's TR2 yamahas. The latter pair of which are rumoured to now be on an auckland vincent of all things. Neville was killed at the same Pukekohe meeting where Cal Rayborn died.

clemtog said:
what is that engine lurking to the left of the shot, is it a Fath/URS ?
CLEM

I don't know tbh Clem. Was someone else's scan. I shall endevour to find out though.

cheers

I asked because I saw this caliper for sale here in Australia but I think this one, although it's similar, might be Italian.

Attachments

• unknown caliper.jpg
    unknown caliper.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 21
morini said:
I asked because I saw this caliper for sale here in Australia but I think this one, although it's similar, might be Italian.

right. But thanks heaps for the effort Chris.
I'll pass it on in any case (as I wouldn't have a clue meself, am the white sheep of the family  >_<

Aside: replicas now located and obtained, pads currently being made up. They're still keen to find originals, mind.

clemtog said:
what is that engine lurking to the left of the shot, is it a Fath/URS ?
CLEM

hi Clem, here's the answer I extracted

--Honda 450 powered Revolution he did for a group of yanks - incl 8 valve head. He'd got the patterns nearly done apparently for V2 of that head when he died - and his widow burnt all his patterns.--

So, I take from the Fath reference you're maybe an outfit racer are you? One of my (sadarsed) pub claims to fame is that my first regular ride was as passenger for steve webster. Early-mid 70's. He were quick even then.

regards to you

Not quite a sidecar racer,
I have always been heavilly involved on the spanner side, from the early 70's with BSA twins, and then one of the first Imp powered specials and then a very successfull purpose built (Tony Batup chassis, bevan engine)Imp,which was aSotheren 100 winner, then I did some road raceing myself (Montjuic in '79,'80 and'81) then concentrated on spannerrs again, this time with Gary Golder , TZ750's (snd in british championship)and then in the early years of F11 (partly started by Gary) with TZ350's and then a long struggle with a Norton Rotary, again Gary G, which started life as a front runner in nationals and slowly declined until I lost patience, Brian Rust (junior) now has the motor back in a conventional chassis, coincidentally it was Brian Rust (senior) who first attempted this with a Windle carbon fibre chassis (not one of Terrys best ideas).Along thw ay I just loved those TZ's so much I bought piles of parts and built a TZ500 for myself, never raced it though, nor the 350TZ that I restored to fund the 500.In the 70's I was so smitten with sidecars that i built a kneeler with a BSA engine (ex C Vincent) complete with 45DCOE Webber for the road,I am still involved, friends neer Reding have (with a bit of input from me) put a lWB Windle worm on the road, day light MOT etc, much fun, and people wonder why I dont live in palace and drive a masserati, I squandered most of it.
CLEM

morini said:

That's a scarab / Mozzi Motori caliper.

Unbelievably rare, as fitted to the MV Agusta ipotesi 350 twins & 125 singles. And fitted to nothing else that I've been able to identify - rumour has it that a few early disk brake morinis had them but I've not been able to confirm it.

How much was it?

I know of an MV owner in the US who's been looking for those calipers for more than 5 years now, since his set got stolen from his car whilst packaged up for posting off to Australia to get refurbed.

Hey sfc1000uk,

I think I have one of those Scarab calipers at home in Oz.

If the MV owner is still looking for one I can probably help him out.

Cheers

Bruce

81Lav said:
Hey sfc1000uk,

I think I have one of those Scarab calipers at home in Oz.

If the MV owner is still looking for one I can probably help him out.

Cheers

Bruce
Cheers Bruce,

I'll ask about it.

thanks

Bob

Its not all such good fun you know fatalist (a name would be handy) the Chris Vincent motor was raced by Brian Houghton, after Mr V finished with it (well actually about 5 units in various ststes of mantle or dis) and it came with a two into one exhaust system and a short reverse cone megaphone, we knew in the paddock at warm up if we had got it right on the day since the riseing and falling revs would produce a noise which was actually painfull to the ears, no pain, and we were off a little, we used to lift the rear wheel clear of the ground, and put a block of wood underneath, in case the bike jumped into gear (common practice) and also a rope with hooks on both ends to "anquor" the outfit to the back of the Thames van, otherwise it would walk backwards every time the revs fell.Now I have Tinitus real bad, caused by bikes, bikes, more bikes, and shooting in all forms (includeing HV) and very load rock music such as The Stone etc,slowing going deaf as a result.
Remember Thames vans ? ours had a Zodiac six cylinder motor in it (and a four speed gearbox whooohoo )and would do the ton towing the bike on a trailer, must have been scary, even then, but I dont recall.
CLEM

sfc1000uk,

Here's the link to the guy selling it. Make what you will of his site. He tends to pitch his parts (and prices) towards so called "rich Americans" and as a result has soured many of the relationships he had with mainstram bevel heads/shops in this country. For instance, his seat covers are available from Eldorado for about $160 instead of $300. There's a commonly used saying here in Oz which sums him up:"tell him he's dreaming." Nether the less it doesn't seem to stop him tracking down bevels and stripping them for parts. It's very profitable so I guess you can't stop commerce.

Chris

http://www.sutherlandbikes.com/

Back