Trail riding in Derbyshire

N

noneglibob

Well, today's weather forecast said zero chance of precipitation, something you don''t see too often in these parts. It was too good an opportunity to miss and so I took the oppportunity to get out to the Peak District on the Chott .

Attachments

• derbyshhire 4.jpg
    derbyshhire 4.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Derbyshire 1.jpg
    Derbyshire 1.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 12
  • derbyshire 6.jpg
    derbyshire 6.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 14
  • derbyshire 5.jpg
    derbyshire 5.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 24
O

Openroads

Nice.  These pictures show something that is impossible in Scotland.  Incredible.

laverdakeith

Very good Bob, lovely day, zero chance of precipitation, whats the first thing you do?

Ride through a great big puddle.......... ::)

Keith

N

noneglibob

No Grant, I think Reggie is referring to the fact that cows aren't allowed to have personalised plates in Scotchland

G

Grant

Maybe he is getting a set of custom made leathers and didn't want his name stitched on the back, so went for the executive option.

N

noneglibob

Here's a couple more shots showing some of the nice ancient roads we rode. My chum Rich has recently acquired a map with a lot of these roads marked up and so we thought we'd go and explore them. We only came across three small groups of people [all walkers ] in a 6 hour ride and I'm pleased to say that pleasantries were exchanged each time, contrary to what is often reported about conflict between trail riders and ramblers. I think the open faced helmet helps in these situations.

I know I bang on about the Chott but I really think it's one of the finest trail bikes ever produced . Rich was on a new CCM [DRZ 400 based thingy], it's a lovely dual purpose bike but the Laverda was much nimbler up the trickier rocky trails which are a feature of Derbyshire. I own a DRZ and I've had other modern off roaders and I prefer the simplicty of an old air cooled, piston ported two stroke, not to mention the fact that it is significantly lighter than a modern off road bike. All those ECUs , disk brakes and radiators add up y'know.

I hads a strange sense of deja vu during the ride and then I realised that some of the old roads are used as access road to the various sections of the Edinburgh Trial [which is run in the Peak District]. Normally I'm riding them in the pitch black and you don't get any sense of the stunning backdrop that the roads are situated in.

Anyweay, it was a great day out and it sharpened me up for the Edinburgh in two weeks time. I've got afew minor jobs to make the Chott ready and we're good to go :D

Attachments

• derby1.jpg
    derby1.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 19
  • derby2.jpg
    derby2.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 17
  • derby 4.jpg
    derby 4.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 14
A few years ago when I had a Husaberg we used to ride the Bull Ridge farm tracks up Sangrieve Lanes near Mellor .... A fantastic rock quarry and a brilliant day out... Stockport was buildt from the stone extracted from there.....

Tim

sfcpiet

Administrator
Staff member
I'm green with envy, Bob!

No legal boondocking over here.... the only off-roading my Chott has seen while in my possesion was across my lawn ::)!

Came across some suitable green lanes in Switzerland, Italy and even Austria last week. :D

piet

Vince

I havnt been off road for about a year,that changes next weekend.Draged the 05 TE 250 Husky out yesterday and did a lap of the block,off the Clarance State Forest,20,ooo acre with a bunch of mates