Bike of the Month - November 2010

Which bike deserves your vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scrumpy

Rule 1: Laverdas only.

This month I have featured bikes manufactured during the Zane period. These dont feature so heavily on the forum but they look great bikes all the same. If I have identified any incorrectly please let me know.

Keep the picyures coming, send to scrumpyjack1@sky.com

Happy voting - Scrumpy

Laverda668.jpg
IMG_1138.gif.jpg
668%20Ghost.jpg
Diamante.jpg
650%20Sport.jpg
laverda%20750S%20formula.jpg

Option 1: 668
Laverda668.jpg

Option 2: Formula 750S
IMG_1138.gif.jpg

Option 3: Ghost
668%20Ghost.jpg

Option 4:Diamante
Diamante.jpg

Option 5: 650
650%20Sport.jpg

Option 6: Formula 750S
laverda%20750S%20formula.jpg

Sorry to say they just don't float my boat. I have difficulty choosing between any of them.
I'm not trying to be a Zanophobe, just saying.
As any choice would be eeny meeny miny mo I think I will skip this month.

I know what you're saying Grant - they don't do it for me like the Breganze-era bikes do either, but I have voted anyway.

Scrumpy - a good mix, but could've done with a 650 Formula too (as the apparent 'rare' one) - and perhaps an Atlas as the oddball!

Alan,

Good point about the 650 Formula. I was intending to save the Atlas and do a Chott, 2TR BoM at some point in the future.

Are you about today?

Scrumpy.

a14rgs said:
I know what you're saying Grant - they don't do it for me like the Breganze-era bikes do either .. . <snip>

Ah, but have you ever ridden one, Alan?  ;)

Craig

PICT0035.jpg

Or, if you know what you're doing ...  :p  (Yes, that is his elbow on the deck).
P.s.  Do NOT attempt this on your RGS  :D :D

750sfb1.jpg

PhilReadatSnetterton2007.jpg

they dont have to be your thing Grant, or do they?
just pick the one you like the most,
start by discarding the one you dislike the most and work backwards.
CLEM

Scrumpy said:
If I have identified any incorrectly please let me know.

Missed one, Scrumpy. First version of the 750 Formula.

(Released Milan Show, September 1997.  Full fairing in black and orange.  Orange Marchesini wheels.  Carbon Termignoni silencers.  Forks fully adjustable Paioli. Front discs fully floating.  Increased compression to 11:1, bigger valves and new cams, upgraded injectors.  92bhp. Torque 55.3ft lbs at 7200rpm).
Source: http://www.bob.w.dsl.pipex.com/laverda/lav3.htm

750formula.jpg

Ciao

Craig

Clem, not as easy as that.
I have tried to like them (in general) but to me they are neither fish nor fowl. Somewhere in no man's land with a badly designed (or built) rehashed engine wrapped in latest (at the time) clothes.
They always looked cramped to me, and I remember giving the 750 a big look at a bike show back then.
For sure it was a brave move, and they no doubt chose the 4 valve twin over the 2 valve triple as a more modern design to start with, but then the horror stories started to emerge. Grenaded bottom ends, electrical problems.
How many are off the road for want of a simple part?

It would be unfair to arbitrarily select one of these as BoM, as I have no feeling for any of them. Do I just pick the prettiest colour? Nah.

certainly not cramped Grant low yes but i m 6ft fitted like a glove.I respect your opinion though.

Shaun

Took a Formula out once and loved it, although it didn't want to pull below 4000rpm (snatched the chain worse than any bike I've ever ridden).  Fantastic handling and brakes, fitted me like a glove.

I don't want to diss them, just that they don't do it for me.
Not Breganze, not Zen, not Massimo.
Different era.

It was a brave but ultimately tragic attempt to resurrect the company.

Reggie3cl said:
Took a Formula out once and loved it, although it didn't want to pull below 4000rpm (snatched the chain worse than any bike I've ever ridden)
Fair observation, Reggie.  I also find mine very snatchy, especially at take-off, and yes, you've got to keep the revs up.

But you adapt ... :)

Ciao

Craig

have the blue/orange 2000 Formula and man - what a bike... handy like a bicycle, powerful like hell, from 2.700 to the rev-limiter with constant pull. Below 2.700, it is snatching the chain, that's why friend of mine is currently adapting a My16M from Cliff Jeffereys (Australia) to replace the original WM16M computer, which is the biggest Problem of the bike besides the crank-bearing issue (which is fixed on mine at around 10.000Km although the engine was still running smooth) concerning ride-ability.

With a reduced belly and back next year, I really do hope to enjoy it even more.

Oh - and btw.: Zane Laverda built sooooo many different color schemes and models based on 2 frame-kits basically, you can not list all of them without running into the problem that the winner will have just 3 votes...

Ghost legend f.e. (orange space-frame with black body work) is pure art in my eyes and one of the rarest bikes ever (less than 50 as far as I know).

But - it is OK if they don't float your boat, Grant. For me, both generations have their spirit and I do have a lot of respect for what the Zane Factory's Management did try to make it successful. The last model I have is a really great bike and I do hope to have a lot of fun with it in the near future. It has it's problems, no doubt, some of which can be overcome easy and some not so easy. Still it is a great bike I do not want to miss and love to ride.

Ventodue said:
Or, if you know what you're doing ...  :p  (Yes, that is his elbow on the deck).
P.s.  Do NOT attempt this on your RGS  :D :D

Got the elbow down on my RGS, then this happened.... :D

Attachments

• arse.jpg
    arse.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 31
had a bit more luck than you... (happened while the pic in my Avatar was made; just the scratches at the lower edge of the cover, not the ones on the side, they are from Monte Grappa last year during the 60th anniversary  :-[ ...):

DSC_1931.JPG.JPG.JPG

laverdakeith said:

Ah, but you're meant to push it back up with your knee, Keith.  Look, I've seen Rossi and others do it, so what's the problem?

Answer: 550lb kerb weight ... :D

laverdakeith said:
Ventodue said:
Or, if you know what you're doing ...  :p  (Yes, that is his elbow on the deck).
P.s.  Do NOT attempt this on your RGS  :D :D

got any pics of your elbow, then?

i like the zanes, just can't afford another bike - wife'll kill me - the orange and silver formula flies my boat very nicely!

Is the guy getting his elbow down Martin Childs ex road tester of Bike magazine?  I remember when MCN were giving away a free poster of that picture, wonder if they have any left?

Scrumpy, I know your were saying about including the Atlas and a Chott as a wild card but.......at the risk of upsetting others............the Aprila Blue Marlin was a great looking cafe racer :eek: (so much better then the (RSV)SFC1000 :eek: :eek: :(, such a shame it never made it past the concept stage. I saw it up close in the flesh and it was awesome.  I know its not a Laverda but an intresting wild card anyway!

Dave

Back