The Aussie depository.....

A kid I went to skool with was jailed for stealing a Porsche.

He got out of jail, the next time I saw him, he said: “If there’s a chance you’re going to jail if caught, then you’d be a dickhead to steal a Mini”

That dickhead is in a lot of trouble, over a couple of pissy dirt bikes.

Not if they followed my mantra Paul. All thieves should hang.
And people caught speeding.
Those who are late with paying their taxes, should be quartered.
Drink and driving should be televised torture.

Afghanistan is waiting for us.

Paul

Ok Aussies, hiding out here because I took a picture...
A Ride.
I was gonna head down to the south entrance Kakadu Highway early 26/1 leaving Darwin about 4am. Only done it before in cars or on a chookie. From the north end through Jabiru this time of year, guaranteed road closures because water. That south end was good but the awesome elevation changes and great corners could not be fully experienced because gravel washouts and dead and live massive beasts. Not to forget international drivers licences from weeties packets picking left hand drive on corners...

So tonight whilst sucking on a prawn laksa at Cazaly's, decided I needed time for a good reccy run which means an overnighter somewhere south. I tried to book Adelaide river, no luck, Emerald creek, no answer.... but had a win on Pine Creek for an overnighter.

Which means leaving work earlier tomorrow, don't tell the boss.

I'll see if Dorat Road on the way is open and rideable and report back. 26/1 I'm booked at Cooinda and the dusk dawn yellow waters cruise, 16:30 on 26/1 so run up the good bit of Kakadu highway, back for Pine Creek lunch and up to Cooinda for overnighter is the plan.

Emerald Springs is worth a drop in on the way to see if they survived. I doubt it. Last time there I had a great time on Territory Day but that was pre-plague. It was pretty sketchy then. Staffed by back packers surprised they got a customer.

Pine Creek used to be difficult to book and always booked out because contractors, but I'm in. And I want another bottle of this:

Attachments

• Mayses mango jam.jpg
    Mayses mango jam.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 8
I'm feelin invaded.

Great ride today. After the 140km reccie run up south Kakadu highway, Lunch at mayses cafe and these 3 jets did a formation flyover of pine creek heading up to Darwin to flyover some more.

Felt so Australian to be doing what I did this morning. 1200 Laverda fully on song and not a flag in sight.

Reactions: T.C
Got up early to get a prime possi as I do every Oz day, at the end of Blues Point right on the Harbour down from North Sydney to watch the F35 flyover at 12 noon. I arrived at 930 and wanted patiently for this. I was a ripper this year as finally they have trained up someone to do Airbatics in the new front line fighter jet and that's exactly what happened. 10 solid minutes of LOUD. I am a happy Aussie today.

So lucky Dave
What I wouldn’t give to be doing that right now👍
plenty of flags flying in my area 🤔
I’ve never understood it to be honest.
Somehow I missed the Aussie ra ra gene.
Doof Doof party going on next door as I type
🙄
Whatever …..

Ride Report.
Yesterday was Darwin to Pine Creek via Dorat Rd.
Last time was 2019 on a supermoto and included a run down oomoo road past the hot springs to the river. Which was too full to cross.

Dorat Road is the same. Reasonably maintained and a comfortable min 120-140 everywhere except the tight stuff near Robin Falls. Narrow. Treat it as a single lane road and it's all good. There are a lot of small creek crossings which adds to its bumpy rep but you see most coming. Xcept that one you hit at 150 and arseliftoff lifts the front post bottomout and tyre chirp on landing tellz ya your lucky.

So yeah, turn right southboumd immediately after Adelaide River and there's fun to be had.

This Morning was excellent. Stuck to plan, reccy run from pine creek uo kakadu highway to 70 ks north in pissing rain. Reverse run to Pine Creek was lighter rain and riding faster. Leaving Pine Creek after lunch was dry until mid afternoon and well north.

The whole of Kakadu Highway is Laverda country with the south portion a series of 150 sweepers with a lovely section of 70 posted corners and a tighter 60 posted up the range just to mix it up.

Double the advisory and you will not think you should have entered a corner faster. Double plus 10 getting into thrill seeker. Further north when you hit the first 90 advisory, do not hold back. comfortable 150/60 Left right left right nirvana.

The sketchy bits.
8?Ks south of Mary River rising into a left hander in a cutaway, in rain, this white clay water across the road. Off camber, dodgey and slidey. on the return southbound standing water and 90 mins later on the return north whilst everything else was dry, that was flowing water across the road.

When you see buffalo shit you might not see buffalo until they're crazyrunning across the road.

When you see the 60 posted section up the range, the top is usually gravel across the road after the last right hander.

As for the performance of the Redax built 1200?

Has handled ecerything thrown at it. Wonderful bike.

Last edited:
Great ride report, Dave. When Lee and I were in Darwin in the early-mid 70s there were very few sealed roads. Did spend a night in the lockup after a spirited evening ride through the industrial area attracted the attention of the plod. Ah young and foolish!

Thanks Dave, can't wait for July to get up there. 150 on a fully laden sf2 might be a stretch though.... Ha, just saw the photo on this thread of my jota outside work. You can't go anywhere........

The new and improved Dumbleyung ride.

So 2 days ago my ride back to Perth: Darwin via the Kimberley's in 2 weeks became via Eucla. Thanks to Markey Mark forcing returning west aussies through 1 border crossing.

The South one. Add 800k's and a days ride.

EDIT: So the Feds reintroduced Biosecurity zones. travel restrictions intrastate don't stop transit to exit the state. What happens when you get your travel advice from Margie on facebook...

So the plan still could be ride back to Perth via Eucla in 2 weeks or...

Fly back to Perth; get locked up for a couple of weeks; wait until everyone in Oz becomes infected with the plague; Fly back to Darwin for work before Easter; Ride to Mt Gambier for the races, ride back to Perth or direct to Dumbleyung to catch up with fellow miscreants.

So today's wet dry ride was lunch at the Virginia Tavern. Nice rack of Lamb interrupted by the Gendarmerie attending in a Stinger pursuit car and a paddy wagon. Seems the bloke with the dreddys had a bogus Vax certificate.

All good. They weren't coming for me.

Attachments

• NT Biosecurity zones.jpg
    NT Biosecurity zones.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I’m looking for tips for a ride from Brisbane to Mt Gambier at Easter. I’ve linked a couple of maps below. The routes pick up roads ridden but am very open to suggestions for something different.

Day 1 Brisbane to Moonan flats:
https://goo.gl/maps/aw3bUTV96qQF4vCB8

Day2: Moonan Flats to Tumut. (Not sure about where I’m going south of Bathurst or where I’m staying in the Snowys.)
Day 3 ride around in circles in the snowys (never been before) before day 4 to Mt Gambier.
https://goo.gl/maps/wxJ44kg7H4xe9GidA

What you have there are some long boring bits, unavoidable sorry, connecting some great bits, whats your time limit as that will allow some detours and how far do you want to travel a day. Bylong Valley is a fun bit but a bit bumpy though, but that makes you miss the Putty. Bet this gets some traction with the route blokes.

Don’t go via Melbourne. It’s a shit boring 6hr trip from here to Mt. Gambier. That’s why I’m driving 🤓
You could sneak in The Great Ocean Road and some more coastal route if you have time though.

What you have there are some long boring bits, unavoidable sorry, connecting some great bits, whats your time limit as that will allow some detours and how far do you want to travel a day. Bylong Valley is a fun bit but a bit bumpy though, but that makes you miss the Putty. Bet this gets some traction with the route blokes.
No time limit, can add day/s will detour for sure so open to detour suggestions.
Missing the Putty Road a difficult decision based on the idea it was more heavily patrolled. Went Bylong Valley 2018, less traffic and higher speed route.

Mt Tamborine and Barrington Tops are a must so Thunderbolts comes into play. Just not sure I'm on the best route between the 2.

There is a triangle route in the Snowys a mate told me about with a pub in the loop as a good overnighter. Was planning to ride it in 2010 but WAPOL intervened a month earlier. Dammit.

Was not going into Melbourne at all Some windy back route from Snowies to Mt Gambier would be good.

Back