Laverda Jota Ownership, second time around. (ramblings)

Good to see that your shed looks a bit like mine... none of this staged pristine set ups that some seem to have  :D

And Yep get into the habit of turning the taps off when bike is stopped.... cheap insurance against an expensive engine job that's for sure.

You've done enough on the bike now get out there and enjoy it and ride the wheels off it...

Brett said:
Good to see that your shed looks a bit like mine... none of this staged pristine set ups that some seem to have  :D

And Yep get into the habit of turning the taps off when bike is stopped.... cheap insurance against an expensive engine job that's for sure.

You've done enough on the bike now get out there and enjoy it and ride the wheels off it...

**remembers and gets up to turn taps to off**

No pristine garage, I'm busy running a business on two coasts so the garage gets tidied roughly once a year.

My workstation in the garage so I can keep up with the good advice from this forum and have some tunes (love the Sonos system)
normal_20161210_124212.jpg

Vince said:
What weight springs are in it and how much do you weigh?

No idea what is in it, if it was my racebike I'd say it was north of a 12, and I would run a 10 on the road.  I weigh 105kg. No gear

The heaviest springs Shock Treatment has are 0.95 Eiboks{sp} They are too light for me and needed to much preload to set the sag.One of these days we might start a post on what springs people use and how that works with there weight. The Race Tech auto system isn't that helpful getting a good result re springs,BTW they list Ceriani 38mm forks in their Vintage section in the spring calculator.

cbertozz said:
Replacement levers are here so I have a matcihing set now, rather than one black one chrome.

Reminds me of a song "One black one one white and one with a little shi...." nah better  not....

Just so I don't forget: riding the Dewars Pool road from Toodyay to Bindoon and then down the Chittering road, was great fun. Stayed comfortably on the pace and the bike felt solid and stable. Rode it like a race bike and it responded to Weight over the nose and didnt skip about as more modern bikes often do on their fat rubber. The Long slab of a tank makes a good pivot and although the pegs aren't rearsets they are pretty high so make riding on the balls of your feet easy. Only issue was that by the end of the day the rubber on the right peg popped off down the road, luckily I was able to recover and refit (note to self to check when stopping). Great bike.

So stopping on the side of the road on a red dirt sloping verge in country Western Australia is always a bit tricky at he best of times but with only a centre stand that isn't 100% anyway its a bloody nightmare. (note to self get a kickstand). Was a great ride up to that point.

normal_Screen_shot_2016-12-11_at_6_02_48_PM.png

When the bike began to splutter I was fairly sure what it was but buggered if there was anywhere to safely pull over (a fair few people get cleaned up on WA roads each year, plus the fact that the bike nearly ended up in the ditch!). Luckily was able to limp to a local servo.

The culprit was obvious. Reckon these are the 80s vintage leads. Easy fix
normal_20161211_173145.jpg
normal_20161211_174054.jpg

A little purchase today, fed up of the piddly little horn on the bike, noone can hear it.

So purchased this. I like the fact that I can give a tap and I just get a normal horn but if I hold the button it takes it up to 123db. Nice idea.
https://screaming-banshee.com/

No idea where I'm going to put it but I'll work it out as the unit isn't too big (Dimensions are: L 3.7" x W 3.0" x H 4.9")

sidestand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laverda-1000-1200-side-stand-/172440252763?hash=item28263d715b:g:JUUAAOSw44BYTDNH

If its the std Laverda one dont waste your money,they are not good. Do a seach on the Kawasaki one used by the Lawson Bushman kit,its MUCH better.

Depends.  I dunno if the current ones are modified to Keith Nairn's spec, in which case yes, you can keep the centre stand, but the original ones foul the centre stand tang unless you bend it (looks bad) or remove it (what I did)  Didn't miss it once I had the Bushman/Lawton stand on, and I just bolted on the centre stand if I needed to work on the bike.

You are going to need a relay and a hot wire from the battery to power that horn. It draws more current than the stocker, can melt things.

Back