RGS headlight conversion

That ain't a step away from failure... I'd say it's already there

You'd think so - but absolutely no clues or warning signs at all! The 1.3 volt drop I was chasing turned out to be across the ignition switch - Piet has previously warned about aftermarket items not being up to the job.

Andy said:
Hi Piet, that's real good fault-finding in the dark mate, I'll tuck that little bit of gen away and hopefully remember it at the right time...
You've got some serious lighting on that bike, four times the original! With that kind of strain I can see why bypassing the switch in your case would be a good idea  :D

I don't think I'll need that much light, we don't have 'roos to worry about, just possums and broken-down ducatis...  ;)

Don't have no 'roos here neither, only stupid deer, fox, martens and wild hogs.  Good thing if you can light up where you're going a couple of hundred metres ahead, don't want to hit any of them at speed.  Spotting a pair of glowing eyes in the distance gives you time and space to slow down and take evasive action.  High-speed cruising on the autobahns is generally quite safe, but some critters do manage to make it to the tarmac...

I come across lots of burnt/melted connectors in many Mk II and 120? triples, no longer convinced the by-pass is a good feature.

piet

sfcpiet said:
I come across lots of burnt/melted connectors in many Mk II and 120? triples, no longer convinced the by-pass is a good feature.

Hmm, that bypass contact might have to go. It's sounding more and more like a good idea let down by under-engineering, wear, age, and headlight upgrades. Shame, cos it's still a good idea. And a headlight upgrade is definately a "must have" these days, it's a headlight arms race out there!

(just had a thought too, I painstakingly ran an extra feed from the spare fuse all the way up to the headlight, all sleeved and lovely, and I could have just re-assigned those wires going to the bypass switch... there must be two of them... Oh well, maybe I'll use them later to run one of your recommended Hella spots  ;) )

Dellortoman said:
I agree with Andy. I reckon silicone is the goop of choice when you want a flexible joint. I'm sure all those lovely ladies with silicone breast implants would agree. You never hear of butyl mastic boob jobs  :D

Not trying to start and pissing contest plus what would someone in the trade know anyways....... but this is simply not the right way to do it and have never come across an OEM that did.. but then again being in the trade for only some 40 years plus guess I am still a bit of a novice. So as one never stops learning thought would double check with the engineers in production ( as technically I now work for a manufacture, as we convert our vehicles here for the Aus Market ) and we need to modify the headlights as such... so asked them as to why they don't use Silicon in the process instead of Butyl.

They have told me that silicon for headlights is not right as with Silicon, it's messy, doesn't seal perfectly, doesn't flex and it makes it a PITA to take apart and re-seal later on if you've got any issues to take care of. Also further not all Silicon's are the same and some contain acid which can affect the reflectors and can also give off a "vapour" which can affect the longetivity of the components.

So do yourselves a favour and use either some Butyl Tape ( which the factory used back in the day but guess what did they know or like I earlier said Butyl Mastic. Perhaps as now technically work for a manufacturer who has to remanufacture the headlight to suit our market

And Fit RELAY's to avoid the current drag through the switches..

Thanks Brett. Not a pissing contest. I just couldn't understand the comment that silicone isn't flexible. The stuff is quite rubbery and stretchy when it's cured.

You've given a few more points against silicone, which make sense.

We used to use a type of Silicon for joining large sheets of Laminated glass called neutral cure. I think some silicons attack the material that was sandwiched between the laminates so it can be chemically aggressive.

Oh well. Sorry Brett. The Fiat restorer who sold me the glass told me to use silicone so I used silicone. When the glass breaks I promise to use mastic next time. Scouts honour.
Anyway... What about that headlight link you posted? Have you actually used these ones and are they for left hand traffic? Because as far as I can see it's made for the European market hence for right hand traffic...

Vince said:
We used to use a type of Silicon for joining large sheets of Laminated glass called neutral cure. I think some silicons attack the material that was sandwiched between the laminates so it can be chemically aggressive.
Yeah, that's right. The acetic-cure silicones promote corrosion of some metals, notably zinc coatings and mirrors. Neutral-cure silicones (often called plumbers or roofers silicone) take longer to fully cure but are far less aggressive.

Andy said:
Hehe perhaps the really old ones?
(That used to be full beam but now only dip)

An old girlfriends Aunty had a boob job in the late eighties, she never wore a bra After that, and was on high beam all the time. I had a feel, simply to satisfy my curiosity, and self education  ;) they were like watermelons :eek:

But can attest, on high beam she nor pointed to the right or left ..... but pointed directly at all oncoming pedestrians.

The best thing about using silicon to hold the glass lens into the reflector is it can be soaked in petrol and the silicon dissolves...

Gas anyone tried one of the plethora of different led headlight in 5x7" format, they look like they'd fit and would surely be a lot better. Like this one ... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F124005956610

drikko said:
Gas anyone tried one of the plethora of different led headlight in 5x7" format, they look like they'd fit and would surely be a lot better. Like this one ... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F124005956610
Drikko I dont think that they will fit to be honest as different size.
This is what I used
https://webshop.fiat500126.com/en/electronics-und-ignition/illumination/front-lights/headlight-clear-glass-bilux-including-adapter-for-h4

Back