Now available neutral switch kits 750 , 1000/1200 models

LJ-2

I know it"s in the for sale section but best here too. ?67.50 plus shipping.

Attachments

• P1010253 copy.jpg
    P1010253 copy.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 235
  • P1010254 copy.jpg
    P1010254 copy.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 231

Laverda SF

If your model don't have a Clutch Lever Switch to engage the starter solenoid - I highly suggest you ground the Starter Solenoid through the Neutral Switch. It will save from blowing up starters.

chrisk

Laverda SF said:
If your model don't have a Clutch Lever Switch to engage the starter solenoid - I highly suggest you ground the Starter Solenoid through the Neutral Switch. It will save from blowing up starters.

But increase your pissed offidness when the switch shits itself and you can't start the bugger.

Dellortoman

Pain in the arse if you stall at the lights too. Gotta shift back into neutral before you can re-start.

Also makes the bike practically unrideable if you break a clutch cable (need to start in gear to get off the line). I'd rather not re-wire the bike just to get home when a clutch cable breaks, which has happened to me on several occasions over the years.

I've never blown up a starter motor, and quite frankly I can't see how locking out the power supply to the starter when the bike is in gear achieves anything. The sprag clutch prevents the starter motor being driven by the engine. If you hit the starter button with the engine running, so what? The starter motor won't spin fast enough to catch up to engine speed and engage the sprag clutch.

On those rare occasions when the sprag has seized and destroyed the starter motor, I very much doubt it was caused by hitting the starter button whilst riding the bike.

The clutch interlock for the starter on my 'modern' bike annoys the crap out of me too. The starter will only work if you pull the clutch lever - even in neutral, which pisses me off.

As you can guess, I'm not a fan of idiot-proof interlocks. I don't like machines that do the thinking for me. I already know that I shouldn't press the starter while cruising along the highway. I don't need a set of relays to tell me that.

I don't like automatic transmissions for the same reason. Don't get me started on automatic windscreen wipers, headlights, etc. It's the thin edge of the driverless vehicle wedge.

End of rant. Sorry.

chrisk

Agreed Cam. One of my bikes needs the side stand up, as well as the clutch pulled in before it will start. Riding along pulling up on the side of the road to take a picture is annoying as well, side stand down, motor stops gggrrrrr. Drives me crazy.

motoddrob

I've said what Cam has said before.
Hands up those that have blown up their starter motor when accidentally hitting the starter button while the motor is running.
In the 45 years of owing 750s, SF1,2,3 and C I have covered in the region of 300,000 km. The SF2 I brought new had done around the 200,000 kays when I sold it.
In that time I rebuilt it once because I had worn it out and was about to embark on a round the world trip on it. Crank rebuilt cause I dropped a chain on the Nullabore at speed that locked the motor up and twisted the crank otherwise it'd probably still have the original crank in it. I could name several people, a couple on this forum who have done similar miles on their SFs that haven't had anywhere near the problems you've had with your SF.
Now Ron, how many kays did you say your SF had done in all the years you owned it? 27000 seems to ring a bell, and you had to rebuild it several times on your wive's kitchen table.
I'd put money on the fact that the problems you had with your SF was probably due to you, including your starter clutch.
The SF motors were bullet proof

Paul Marx

I put an electric switch on my petrol taps so as a horn would sound if I stopped without switching the fuel off.

The switch shorted, the bike burnt.

Now I remember to switch the fuel off (mostly).

Paul

Paul Marx said:
I put an electric switch on my petrol taps so as a horn would sound if I stopped without switching the fuel off.

The switch shorted, the bike burnt.

Now I remember to switch the fuel off (mostly).

Paul

That's the best short story I have read in quite some time! It's almost like one of of those Japanese haiku's.

Thank you Paul. Made my day!

Jim