What did you do to or for or with your Laverda today?

Paul Marx

Got 20 litres of Motul 300V at €9.50 a litre. It normally retails at about €25 to 30 a litre.
I need to go and fetch it at Bruno's.
Between Corinne and I, we get through 20 litres a year.
:)

Paul

Paul Marx

Got 20 litres of Motul 300V at €9.50 a litre. It normally retails at about €25 to 30 a litre.
I need to go and fetch it at Bruno's.
Between Corinne and I, we get through 20 litres a year.
:)

Paul
There used to be a time when you could drain the oil from the Laverda and use it in the car. My Moroccan made Dacia with a Renault engine now uses 0W30 whatever that is.

Paul

Andy J

I think it used to be a sequence of bike, car, lawn mower and so on until it was poured down a drain - or, in the IOM, down an old mine shaft cos of course it couldn’t do any harm down there could it? 🤔 Nowadays I think it is more likely to go straight into the workshop space heater or central heating tank…

chrisk

I think it used to be a sequence of bike, car, lawn mower and so on until it was poured down a drain - or, in the IOM, down an old mine shaft cos of course it couldn’t do any harm down there could it? 🤔 Nowadays I think it is more likely to go straight into the workshop space heater or central heating tank…
A couple of days ago I followed a beat up old Toyota 4x4 that came onto the main road from a known hillbilly estate.

Made me hungry following the redneck fuelled diesel, I could smell beer battered whiting fillets with a hint of ammonia.

The Sock

Beautiful morning to get out, on the bike, for a spot of breakfast.
Fortunately, I narrowly missed having my day spoiled by PMT(russ). She's staying locally, while No. 10 is being redecorated, again.
Good job there isn't a financial crisis, currently. Oh! Hang on,...2022 09 25 Breakfast with(out) Truss.jpg

Went for a ride, 40 miles out & dropped on to one cylinder 😤so had a look and right hand carb banjo misty, slight leak.
That wasn’t it, off with points cover, no spark on left cylinder…cleaned up points with fine emery, still no spark.
If I flicked points with finger I could get a belting spark but only because I was opening them up further than normal and they were earthing against gap adjustment screw. Coil, leads,cap and plug must all be working ok so must be the points! Shagged about on side of the road for half an hour cursing Paul Marx and his f#cking points😝and rode home on one cylinder.
At home with glasses on I found I could get half a turn on the points nut and back came the spark. I took points apart and cleaned up all contact surfaces and refitted. I had checked the points/ condenser wire by wiggling and seemed tight- not tight enough apparently. Just rode it without ear plugs and I’ve got a rattle on the overrun…..

martymoose

Same, no noise under load. Dimpled valve not the problem, i swapped out all the adjusters for the rotax ones, noise still there, swapped them back, noise still there. Adjust clearances from 6 and 8 thou to 3 and 4 thou, noise still there. Newish cam, newish followers, noise is not valve train.

I am running the original pistons and gudgeon pins, that is my guess. Hoping to pull it apart shortly.

Paul Marx

Went for a ride, 40 miles out & dropped on to one cylinder 😤so had a look and right hand carb banjo misty, slight leak.
That wasn’t it, off with points cover, no spark on left cylinder…cleaned up points with fine emery, still no spark.
If I flicked points with finger I could get a belting spark but only because I was opening them up further than normal and they were earthing against gap adjustment screw. Coil, leads,cap and plug must all be working ok so must be the points! Shagged about on side of the road for half an hour cursing Paul Marx and his f#cking points😝and rode home on one cylinder.
At home with glasses on I found I could get half a turn on the points nut and back came the spark. I took points apart and cleaned up all contact surfaces and refitted. I had checked the points/ condenser wire by wiggling and seemed tight- not tight enough apparently. Just rode it without ear plugs and I’ve got a rattle on the overrun…..
Had you got an electronic ignition, you would
a: still be by the side of the road waiting for help
b: be wondering how to explain to your bank that you need a lot of money to pay for the breakdown recovery and a new ignition whilst the banker is explaining that he's quite willing to lend you a lot of cash to buy a nice new shiny Yamasuki and that you'd better hurry before interest rates go up again.

Paul

b: be wondering how to explain to your bank that you need a lot of money to pay for the breakdown recovery and a new ignition whilst the banker is explaining that he's quite willing to lend you a lot of cash to buy a nice new shiny Yamasuki and that you'd better hurry before interest rates go up again.

Paul
Joking apart- if I had taken my glasses I might well have been able to see the problem ( couldn’t even see if the points were closing or not!) and theoretically could have sorted it by the curb. I will also pack a 7mm spanner for said nut as well. Close but no cigar.

Paul
Or maybe it wouldn’t have dropped the cylinder at all.

Everything breaks one day.
Paul
It’s the never ending argument: a high MTBF (mean time between failures) vs an easily user serviced item. IMHO in the early days of electronic ignition, for example, there was a good argument for retaining points and condenser. But as the MTBF increased the balance shifted. Nowadays the failure rate of electronic systems is so low that the increased maintenance of the legacy systems tips the balance firmly onto the digital side. How often does one have to replace an ignition module on a newer car or an engine management module for fuel injection vs the constant fiddling required with points and carbs?

Now, some folks find great satisfaction in checking point gap and dwell on a semi-monthly basis while others simply want to set it and forget it. How do you want to spend your weekends: fiddling with your ignition or carbs or riding and driving. Or working on a new project as opposed to continually messing with the old ones? You can guess which side I was on….