Cutting screwdriver slots

Dellortoman said:
When I was a little kid, my parents were building a house that we moved into before it was complete - as you do to avoid paying rent. To get from the back door to the kitchen, you had to go through the dining room, but the timber floor hadn't been laid yet. There were floor joists with one skinny plank diagonally across the room to walk on. We kids didn't have a problem. We'd run across the bare joists like mountain goats.

My aunt and uncle came to visit one day. My aunt came in first and immediately fell between the joists. It was about a 4ft drop to the ground below. Just as she was picking herself up off the dirt, my uncle came through the door and fell on top of her, hitting her in the back of the neck with his boot. He had one leg shorter than the other (from a smashed femur that was never set properly) so his boot was built up by about 2", making it a formidable thing to be clobbered with. They both survived relatively unscathed so we were able to laugh about it once they'd dusted themselves off.

Cam, that is a beautiful story - I have not had such a good laugh in a while.  The imagery of that 2? mallet of a boot connecting with the back of the neck...

Yogi

See - these things could never happen in Germany.... why? well - we know how to build houses properly...  :p

:LOL:  :-* :LOL:  :-* :LOL:  :-* :LOL:  :-* :LOL:

But be glad you are not living in Rusia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecUy128rWM

hooksey said:
Does anybody use slotted fixings these days  :-\  my flat screwdrivers now used to lever stuff  :D
Think you need a bike project to soak up some shed time Cam  ;)

One of my father's sayings we heard ad nauseum was "Do not me as a crowbar use but keep me straight for screwing screws".....

chrisk said:
and fell between the joists and went straight through the fibre cement ceiling of our pool area. Luckily my elbows caught the joists and I could drag myself out of the hole. 

In 2004 Tammy and I went to a ski resort in Switzerland. Her toboggan went about 2m over the edge. No worries, I'll get it. Fell through the snow, used my elbows to catch me, dislocated my shoulder. 5K euro helicopter flight through the swiss alps to hospital in Interlaken filled up on jungle juice.

Loved every minute of it! Most spectacular views I have ever seen! I'd probably do it again if I had the opportunity. Was worth every minute of it.

Back