1200 Mirage on Ebay

Hello,

A good friend of mine who loves all things Italian is toying with the idea of buying this Mirage. He has a good eye for detail but like me is unfamiliar with correct fitment for a 1980 1200 Mirage.

Your views on the bike's value, condition and originality are welcome.

Regards
Mike

Why would a " U.K. registered from new" bike have a KPH speedo?

Dave

Hmmm.
"The Mirage has had no road use since 1997 being used as a shop window display for around 12 years & from there to a large private collection for approx. 3 years"

1 think they are both very nice bikes,some work to be done but thats what one wants.

LJ

Why have both of them got pre-TS bodywork and TS clocks? The silver one also has a TS grab rail. Oh! So has the orange one. What's going on? Did Laverda every produce "MK1" 1200 bodywork with TS type clocks?

Rgds

Confused of Matlock.

Mike - the  silver machine looks very nice - if there's the chance to inspect it - so much the better - many bargains are missed by rivet counting - if your friend wants one to enjoy it looks OK - if he wants originality - don't buy it - Regards - Phil

Phil Todd has just called me a rivet counter! I have achieved everything I could have hoped for today  ;)

I'd agree that the silver one does look nicely turned out & has met it's reserve price too.

For the 1980 Silver bike, would it be prudent to check the engine numbers to determine if it is/was one of the 1979 bad crank bearing engines?  Should be OK, if it was delivered to Slaters in early 1980, no?
For 1200?s the numbers are 1519 to 1566 and 1833 to 2533.

I think this is the same bike that I was offered to have a look at back in 2006 being ' a shop window display' for a number of years.
I'll post a few more pictures later.

Engine number looks like 2646. Mileage at the time was 30700km

LF

Attachments

• lav27.jpg
    lav27.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 5
Here 's the shop window.

LF

Attachments

• lav26.jpg
    lav26.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 39
Pictures added to gallery.
From memory I was forwarded the pictures and the oportunity to view/bid by Ian Mitchell- I Laverda owner I helped out back in 2006 - a nice guy.
I can't remember how much it was but I do remember not having the money available. From the description it looked a great buy - especially as the cam cover had been lifted and I think a compression check was done as well. Any one recognise the shop?- I'm sure it was in Scotland or certainly up north . Ian Mitchell was a Scot- and pssibly a Helicopter service engineer?- Also was a keen climber- I remember him demonstrating a few speciality knots when we tied his Jota onto the trailer!

LF

Harry Lime said:
Why have both of them got pre-TS bodywork and TS clocks? The silver one also has a TS grab rail. Oh! So has the orange one. What's going on? Did Laverda every produce "MK1" 1200 bodywork with TS type clocks?

Rgds

Confused of Matlock.

Both converted TS"s thats why!

LJ

lavfancier said:
Pictures added to gallery.
From memory I was forwarded the pictures and the oportunity to view/bid by Ian Mitchell- I Laverda owner I helped out back in 2006 - a nice guy.
I can't remember how much it was but I do remember not having the money available. From the description it looked a great buy - especially as the cam cover had been lifted and I think a compression check was done as well. Any one recognise the shop?- I'm sure it was in Scotland or certainly up north . Ian Mitchell was a Scot- and pssibly a Helicopter service engineer?- Also was a keen climber- I remember him demonstrating a few speciality knots when we tied his Jota onto the trailer!

LF

I can do a reef knot and a sheep shank if anybody wants a demo lol  :D

Growing up in Dorset I learned a sheep shag; does that count?

Back