1975 LAVERDA 3C 1000. No affiliation to seller.

Lav the impala

Senior member
I had a search in here but found no reference to this 1975 LAVERDA 3C 1000 in this section. Apologies if it has been already posted.


For No Reserve Auction is a 1975 Laverda 3C 1000. Engine number: 1000*2597. Frame number: 2597.
 
It is always fun reading the bike descriptions stuff. Light and fickable as a modern 600, yeah.
The seller must be into Ducati bevels, going by his name.
 
It is always fun reading the bike descriptions stuff. Light and fickable as a modern 600, yeah.
The seller must be into Ducati bevels, going by his name.
Yeah, I think your reference to bevel Ducatis is on the money. If his base line for handling comparison is a bevel Ducati, then a Laverda 3C would feel light and flickable. But saying it's like a modern 600 is a bit of a stretch. Makes me wonder if he's ridden a modern 600.

I've ridden both my Ducati MHR and my Laverda Jota on track days around the same race track. The Ducati is very stable in a straight line and doesn't like to change direction quickly. My lap times on the Ducati were several seconds slower than on the Jota. The Jota has a few more horsepower but my local race track is not a big horsepower track. It's small and tight so quick handling is more important than outright speed.

Modern 600's are way faster around the track than I could ever hope to do on my old clunkers.
 
I've ridden both my Ducati MHR and my Laverda Jota on track days around the same race track. The Ducati is very stable in a straight line and doesn't like to change direction quickly. My lap times on the Ducati were several seconds slower than on the Jota. The Jota has a few more horsepower but my local race track is not a big horsepower track. It's small and tight so quick handling is more important than outright speed.
kind of agree .. as much as I've enjoyed a 900GT and 900SS I really don't like the Ducati's 'on-rails' feel (unless it's on the perfect mountain road) and then (gulp) you may as well be on a HD or something similar that doesn't like turning.
 
Bevel Ducati vs Harley?

I had a bit of a race against a Harley one day while I was out riding my Ducati MHR. He barrelled past me on a straight bit of road, and I took off in pursuit for no other reason that it was something interesting to do. I caught up and passed him, then he passed me again. We diced for about 20km along on a bit of coast road that had a few twisty bits and occasional straights. We were both trying pretty hard. The Harley couldn't corner as hard as the MHR because of the apparent lack of clearance. He would drag bits of the bike on the road making a lot of sparks and I'd just ride around him at a moderate lean. As long as there were some bends, I could get ahead and open a bit of a gap between us. But then he'd blast past me again in the straighter bits even though I was giving the Hailwood Rep full throttle. We were nudging some pretty high speeds at times. I dunno what model of Harley it was but that thing had some serious firepower in a straight line. I didn't know who the Harley rider was either. When we got to the next town, we gave each other the thumbs up and went our separate ways. It was a fun ride.
 
Several years ago my brother bought a brand new harley. He came round to show me and threw me the keys. I trundled down the road then on the first straight I gave it full throttle.

It took ALL of my strength against the rapidly increasing windspeed to lean forward enough to roll it off, very nearly lost my grip on the bars... I was a bit more careful after that.
Then on the way home I took a familiar S-bend that I knew well, and hit the footplates so hard I nearly bounced into the ditch.

When I got back my brother asked me "how'd you like that?"
"aww yeah, it's alright I suppose once you get used to it..."
 
The 2nd time I did the lunchtime parade laps at The Barry at Eastern Creek there was some maniac going nuts on a Harley, the one with the rear shock under the bike. He passed me up the inside at turn one way way faster than me and disappeared. Probably pretty easy as I had only done a couple of laps and turn one should, so I hear, be back 1 gear for top and fully pinned and that wasn't me. I heard later it was Troy Courser.
 
Did back to back road tests on a Ducati Darmah and Jota 120 back in the 80’s. The Jota was definitely the more sporty of the two, but comparing the handling of a 1970’s Laverda triple to a modern 600 is laughable, and probably even 1980’s middleweights.
 
Back
Top