1984 RGS 1000. 6500 original miles.

parrishsteve

New member
Location
Chicago, IL USA
Hey guys, Thinking about selling my RGS. 6500 original miles. I'm a touch clueless on possible value. Thoughts? It might go on bringatrailer.com.

Carbs rebuilt (new gaskets, accelerator pumps, float valves, yadda, yadda), new fork seals, clutch, all calipers rebuilt, new brake pads, air filter, clutch slave and master rebuilt, fuel level sensor, new tires, battery. Tachometer is no good but the rest of the gauges are.

I'll need to set a reserve probably. I'm into this thing for quite a bit. All parts from Wolfgang.

What do people think I could realize on this? BTW: I could not have done this project without this forum (or Wolfgang). I simply have too many bikes right now.

Chicago-land area.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20230507_163418435.jpg
    PXL_20230507_163418435.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 51
Steve, what you have is a very nice example of a true classic I am sure your bike is in top condition, and you have spent time and money to get it ready for sale or use.
As to value, when it comes to Laverda motorcycles it's a lot like real estate, location, location, location, and I mean in the world not the US state, the model of bike plays a big factor too. A nice clean RGS sold on BaT for $7K six months ago, and a 1980 Jota this year sold for almost $20k. I know of another RGS that sold within the past year for $6500us. SF twins in 2022 sold on BaT for $9k - $17k I am sure you already know this.
With this in mind where you sell it is a consideration, BaT $7K-10K, I hope you prove me wrong. If it was on the east coast of OZ probably double, the US is a fickle market for Laverda.
Based on my own observations from various owner-oriented Laverda sites there are a considerable number of Laverda offered for sale of late, far more than offered in many years previously. Good luck with your sale, a reserve price is always an option for peace of mind.
 
Steve, what you have is a very nice example of a true classic I am sure your bike is in top condition, and you have spent time and money to get it ready for sale or use.
As to value, when it comes to Laverda motorcycles it's a lot like real estate, location, location, location, and I mean in the world not the US state, the model of bike plays a big factor too. A nice clean RGS sold on BaT for $7K six months ago, and a 1980 Jota this year sold for almost $20k. I know of another RGS that sold within the past year for $6500us. SF twins in 2022 sold on BaT for $9k - $17k I am sure you already know this.
With this in mind where you sell it is a consideration, BaT $7K-10K, I hope you prove me wrong. If it was on the east coast of OZ probably double, the US is a fickle market for Laverda.
Based on my own observations from various owner-oriented Laverda sites there are a considerable number of Laverda offered for sale of late, far more than offered in many years previously. Good luck with your sale, a reserve price is always an option for peace of mind.
Oh jeez, I think I'm "underwater" on it....might have to keep it for a while.
 
Oh jeez, I think I'm "underwater" on it....might have to keep it for a while.
If it’s any help, a lot (if not all) of the work you mentioned would be regarded as “maintenance” to retain the original value, rather than improvements which would increase the overall worth.
So with that in mind you may get a fair price 😁
 
Steve, your RGS sounds like a very nice well maintained low mileage example (6500 miles), and a very nice rebuilt RGS was recently offered for sale here on this Forum for 12,000 plus British pounds. As I said in my previous post location, location. Good luck with your sale.
Beware of the rivet counters.
 
Steve, your RGS sounds like a very nice well maintained low mileage example (6500 miles), and a very nice rebuilt RGS was recently offered for sale here on this Forum for 12,000 plus British pounds. As I said in my previous post location, location. Good luck with your sale.
Beware of the rivet counters.
Thanks jotadave. That sounds more promising. I agree about location. Here in Chicago I feel like no one knows what this bike is. I'm starting to think that I should not auction it but just hold out for the right buyer.
 
If it’s any help, a lot (if not all) of the work you mentioned would be regarded as “maintenance” to retain the original value, rather than improvements which would increase the overall worth.
So with that in mind you may get a fair price 😁
I am not so sure "improvements" increase the overall worth, although I would like to think so given how many "improvements" I have applied to my 79 1200 and my 84 RGS Executive. I did leave the 82 1200 pretty much stock except for better ignition.

Collectors go for originality mostly. Riders go for improvements, but how many riders are left for these Laverdas?

My middle ground is I kept all the original parts, could mostly revert to original if I ever needed to, except for the RGS motor now a high compression 1200..... :eek: :sneaky::cool:
 
I am not so sure "improvements" increase the overall worth, although I would like to think so given how many "improvements" I have applied to my 79 1200 and my 84 RGS Executive. I did leave the 82 1200 pretty much stock except for better ignition.

Collectors go for originality mostly. Riders go for improvements, but how many riders are left for these Laverdas?

My middle ground is I kept all the original parts, could mostly revert to original if I ever needed to, except for the RGS motor now a high compression 1200..... :eek: :sneaky::cool:
And for riders, one man's improvements are another man's bodge.
Paul
 
Thanks jotadave. That sounds more promising. I agree about location. Here in Chicago I feel like no one knows what this bike is. I'm starting to think that I should not auction it but just hold out for the right buyer.
Perhaps you should track down John Robertson, lives somewhere near Chicago, and flog it to him. He understands Laverdas.
 
As I said in my previous post location, location. Good luck with your sale.

I was curious about how much this one went for, $15,000 AUD was the asking price.

 
Steve...book a trip to Australia, ship the bike over, ride around for a month on the wrong side of the road, enjoy the Aussies hospitality and free beers, chase their women, kiss a kangaroo or whatever they do to them over there ...then flog the bike to one of them Laverda addicts...they are so crazy for these things you will pay for your whole trip plus come home with more than you could ever get here in North America
 
Steve...book a trip to Australia, ship the bike over, ride around for a month on the wrong side of the road, enjoy the Aussies hospitality and free beers, chase their women, kiss a kangaroo or whatever they do to them over there ...then flog the bike to one of them Laverda addicts...they are so crazy for these things you will pay for your whole trip plus come home with more than you could ever get here in North America
That is hands down the greatest idea I've heard in years!!!!! :)
 
That is hands down the greatest idea I've heard in years!!!!! :)
Yeah if only it was that simple, it is not.
Australia

Generally, it is recommended to use a carnet for Australia due to the administrative burden and requirement of security when temporarily importing a vehicle with

IMPORTING YOUR VEHICLE INTO AUSTRALIA WITHOUT A CARNET
Tourists or temporary residents who cannot or do not wish to obtain a carnet may use the provisions of s162 or s162A of the Customs Act. This method is really only suitable for vehicles that meet the Australian Design Rules (indicated by a compliance plate fixed to the
firewall of the vehicle) or those that are fifteen or more years old on their arrival in Australia.

Vehicles temporarily imported without a carnet will be required to provide security with the Australian Customs Service on arrival in Australia. The vehicle cannot be released until Customs and Department of Transport and Regional Services requirements have been
fulfilled.

If you import a vehicle without a carnet you will require Vehicle Import Approval (VIA) (fee
payable). You must obtain this before the vehicle arrives in Australia.
Application forms are available from:
The Administrator of Vehicle Standards
ACT Federal Office of Road Safety
GPO Box 1553
Canberra Australia 2601

Back in the 1980's I traveled in and out, and through multiple countries with my motorcycle without having to pay import taxes or any other fees, with the use of a Carnet de Passages en Douane, OK a few small Bak-sheesh were offered usually in the form of American fags ( can you still say that) cigarettes.
The Carnet made South American countries, Central America, Mexico, Canada, and New Zealand entries much easier, but not always. But you had to secure the Carnet before you started your trip, actually, it was a deposit of 150% of the value of the vehicle deposited with a recognized Automobile Association. You got your sums of money back when you returned the Carnet paperwork with all your entry and exit vehicle visa stamps appropriately.
We traveled with a German couple sans Carnet into Peru from Ecuador, the vehicle was refused entry without large amounts of money being exchanged to corrupt border officials.
My Carnet was secured for $1050 Aus this was based on the Laverda dealer value of $700, hey he was a mate doing me a favor, money well spent. When I returned my Carnet many years later my money was returned with interest. Sure I could have sold the bike in many places and made a good profit but then I would be walking, the ride was the trip.
ps. If you crash your bike and do not ship it out of the country you lose your Carnet deposit, double whammy.

Australian customs are brutal, to say the least. I shipped several motorcycles to a mate in Adelaide and the customs even collected duties (tax) on the estimated value of the shipping crate, bastards.
 
The 3 into 1 is the factory Laverda race pipe listed in the parts book. It's got the 115 main jets too.

The funny thing is that the seller on ebay was never in possession of the bike. It was a third party trying to sell it for a collector. The bike at the time also was farrrr from being road ready. The seller was going to try to get it running when/if it sold. I got it from the collector who had one of the greatest motorcycle collections I had ever seen. The collector said he had to buy it as it was part of a bigger Ducati collection he bought. He also had another that had more miles but had a bunch of (what I call) period upgrades, 6 piston brembos, different suspension, etc.
 
If it's more than 25 years old it can be imported through the Oz vintage bike scheme called Rover but the costs make this uneconomic unless it's a really unusual bike not readily available in Oz already. It cost me $4000oz to import my Atlas from England but where was I getting another any other way?
 
Back
Top