Brake light pressure switch, repairable?

I don't know if this has been asked before but is the brake light switch on the front brake manifold recoverable in some way? The one I have requires almost full pressure on the lever to get it to operate, so I installed a spare I bought from Fleabay many years ago and that one doesn't work at all. A bit of a hassle changing them out as you have to bleed the brakes each time.
Does anyone have a fix for them? Thanks, Dave
 
It's annoying there not at least adjustable, apparently with upgrades to brakes mine works with considerably more pressure than I like, eg 4 fingers reasonably strong pull before it flickers. By the time my light starts to glow I am well past stopping.
 
I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but... As an alternative you may consider replacing the master cylinder with one that has a built-in microswitch to operate the brake lamp. I did this years ago, used a 14mm master cylinder off a Suzuki GSX-R of some sort, which gave better feel at the brake lever. Required a little bit of wiring modification but not a big deal.
Cheers,
bazzee
 
A bit of a hassle changing them out as you have to bleed the brakes each time.
I replaced mine lately. I dismantled both the master cyl. and the splitter
and brought the splitter to the highest point. Bleeding wasn't necessary,
but held the lever under tension overnight with a cable strap.

Ernesto
 
I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but... As an alternative you may consider replacing the master cylinder with one that has a built-in microswitch to operate the brake lamp. I did this years ago, used a 14mm master cylinder off a Suzuki GSX-R of some sort, which gave better feel at the brake lever. Required a little bit of wiring modification but not a big deal.
Cheers,
bazzee
100% correct, and exactly what i have done in all the "down to my last 3 Laverda", cost effective as most masters are Tokico, never seen a Nissin master, most readily available are cast stamped "5/8". Well said Bazzee, others may like oem of course. j
 
I bought a radial remote 16mm master I wanted to use on my Pamtah but it ended up on my 3c. I never noticed a brake light provision. I better have a look. What I do love is its span adjuster.
 
"916 master works sweet, with 30/34s of course…"
I can vouch for that, but I still use the pressure switch on the splitter, doesnt give any issues of feel etc at all, just cannot convince Nickdav7 that with 320 discs the stopping power is awesome and will leave his stock brembos for shit.
CLEM
 
I bought a radial remote 16mm master I wanted to use on my Pamtah but it ended up on my 3c. I never noticed a brake light provision. I better have a look. What I do love is its span adjuster.
Something like this from ebay (you can see the microswitch on the underside, inboard of the pivot): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/234097999042?hash=item368153fcc2:g:73YAAOSwDSBg-Nq0&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8FycEj4z5i34O9C3g3ITlWxsWREmzoZc+SXPKp2/pOMlEZzEN3FlIbiLnzNNvXzvOumAkTZLjPo4ZrmiLs16y0zQYjYUiqnKnGwZKvWzEJCaykQP09ilPTUxKQ+nQ6maFdZVq+ZjNkgzaU/usPmYVGLfs+hiYVleQOco3KgEuPuBeleyw5enuIxiDDZpobDi7gfExVNFRZmIvK2q/cXlTr4kAEydOqcJuYGIjlINj/pCnAOAbQOTSGk3wDzK2mv2GuUd5QqmV5PKAhQZHTfsNcyFwOYKnK0MarBAkvR4m7EdOP0pai4i7K3N/vT7PBrReg==|tkp:Bk9SR6Trqt78YA
BTW I'm not using this one, mine pre-dates radial master cylinders by about 15 years...
1666041838027.png
 
Back
Top