Centre stand

TheWrongTrousers

Senior member
Location
South London
Hello. I have been considering Tribonnie's centre stand in the 'for sale' section of this forum because my one is clapped out. I have the Marzocchi forks on my bike and my centre stand seems to be an inch or so shorter than the one on sale. So I infer from that that Tribonnie's stand is likely to be for Ceriani forked bike, so on the face of it would not be suitable. I am wondering however, if the longer version could work out. As it is, on my bike, when I pull it onto the centre stand both tyres are on the ground and to get the rear wheel to turn when - for example - cleaning the chain I usually put a plank under the stand to get more height. So what I am wondering is if I were to fit a longer stand, perhaps I would get that extra height and would no longer need the plank.

Does anyone have a view on whether this could work ?
 
I have changed the high on my centre stand a couple of times by adding or removing stand leg length and it doesn't take much to require super strength to be needed to heave it up onto the stand. That's why they made the 2 different rights, I forget what fork is longer and needs a longer stand. If the right stand length is used it works great, just changing fork height by pushing the fork legs through the trees a bit too much can make using the stand an eye-popping job. Maybe you should measure your stand and compare it to the one for sale might help you decide. My bike now with standard length shocks, the bars through 20mm and a short tang so its Kawasaki side stand works takes a fair old heave to use the centre stand and now it rocks up and down maybe 15mm, before with 15mm longer shocks both wheels were JUST touching the ground. In both cases, it needed a good 20mm timber packers under the centre stand to pull the wheels off.
 
Hi Mr Incorrect Pants. ;)

Centre stands are notorious for getting clapped out, as in worn pivots, bent or twisted legs, buggered stops that allow them to go too far over centre, etc ...

However, all of that stuff is easily fixable. The only cost is a bit of labour time and a few welding consumables. Way cheaper than buying another stand that might be of questionable value anyway if it's too short, or maybe even requiring other repairs just as yours does.

If you have some basic welding gear, have a go at it yourself. If not, take it to a mate who has. It's not a precision engineering job. Pretty much all you need is a cheap stick welder and an angle grinder. If it's horribly bent, you may need oxy-acetylene to massage it back into shape. If you lived near me, I'd ask you to drop it around and I'd refurbish it for you. Another advantage of a DIY repair is that you can modify it to suit yourself. For example, change the foot lever so it'll work with a Kawasaki type side stand, or to give better leverage when heaving the bike onto the stand.
 
Back
Top