Countershaft sprocket cover variations

It's interesting that this causes problems for some and not others. I've had the selector cover off my Jota several times over the years. I just chuck it back together without any fuss and it always works. The bike has always shifted gear pretty smoothly and with minimal lever travel, despite having the left side gearshift pedal and crossover linkage.
There are differences in sprocket covers and engine cases Cam.

True, some you throw together from the other side of the shop and they work beautifully, others require careful fettling to get even a half-decent result. Guess machining tolerances were not very constant over the years...

piet
 
Yes, I've also had "issues" setting up the gear selector on my 750, and I will tell you that it requires some patient "fiddling". I tried several times with no luck, but a friend experienced w setting up a similar Norton selector was able to adjust it. I'll contact my friend and ask what she did- I think she just adjusted the setting on the selector arm very slightly. It is a finicky design.
 
Last edited:
What, surely you were born knowing this? The whole point of this forum is spreading Laverda know-how. The first time I did it, I spent months without a 5th gear, broke a mirror doing the adjustment with the bike leaned over, it was a flipping nightmare till I heard about slight case cover adjustments while spinning the rear wheel and banging gears to check, ENGINE OFF. I must have written that dozens of times over the years, so it helps anyone else.
 
Last edited:
Yes, I've also had "issues" setting up the gear selector on my 750, and instead of giving you a rude/curt reply that I personally got from this Forum when asking the same question, I will tell you that it requires some patient "fiddling". I tried several times with no luck, but a friend experienced w setting up a similar Norton selector was able to adjust it. I'll contact my friend and ask what she did- I think she just adjusted the setting on the selector arm very slightly. It is a finicky design. Do a search here and you'll see the various comments I received-
Yeah, sometimes you catch the forum on a bad day, like the old boys around the leaners bar at the RSA, but usually it’s bloody good.
It’s the admins I feel sorry for, having to moderate the whole bloody lot, instead of being able to zone-out through the stuff of no interest (including mine…)
 
I followed the instructions on the Green Book( centering the adjuster "hook" between the drum spindles), along w/ comments from this Forum, but I still couldn't get the selector arm to advance the drum. My friend "fiddled" w the setting a tad, and it magically worked. Again, it's a finicky design, but comments about a worn out spring being the culprit are worth investigating.
 
Persistence and patience paid off. I spent several hours on Sunday adjusting and test riding Jeff's SF 750, finally got it correct, and the shifting was like a knife through butter. Well, it is a Laverda, so let's say it was like a knife through a block of hard cheese, easy, precise, no missed gears or false neutrals. I was happy and riding the SF twin; it had been more than 20 years since I last rode a twin, and I had forgotten how nice they are to ride.
 
It’s the admins I feel sorry for, having to moderate the whole bloody lot, instead of being able to zone-out through the stuff of no interest (including mine…)

They should be applauded 👏👏👏

Pouring through some of my drivel and shit, before removing the posts I’ve made must be taxing. 😂😂😂

Somewhere in cyberspace there’s a rubbish bin full of inappropriate posts the toe cutters have deleted, even after the forum was cleaned up some years back!
 
Back
Top