Crank rebuild in the USA. Part 2.

1200ts

Hero member
This will most likely be my last posting about this. Please spread the word!

A year ago and a month ago I asked about getting a Laverda crankshaft rebuilt in the USA. And I could do the service if needed. So far a total of one person says they have a bad crank.

So unless I hear different in the next few days, I am done. Although I have a complete machine shop and can make all necessary tools and fixtures to do the cranks, there appears to be no need for this. I am not wasting my time or money unless there is a demand for more than one crank. When any of the six Laverda's I have need the work, I will do it. Until then nothings gonna happen.

I am retired and not looking to start a Laverda business. And it looks like if I wanted to it would not last long.

If those in the USA remember Lance Weil of Rickey Racer here in California, he was the last Laverda specific business in the US. He closed up shop back in the 1990's as there were no Laverda's to work on. I think that is still the case.

Regards,
Bruce
California USA
 
let's put it this way: once you put the message out to the zane-list that you do crank repairs on Zanes, you might get more enquiries (not only from US) than you could solve... :oops: ;)
 
Can anyone who has worked on both the Breganze 500 twin and Zane' cranks provide any guidance on whether the cranks are similar enough that the same tooling can be used for all in pressing apart and together again? Else, what are the differences that would have to be allowed for in such tooling?
 
500 and 750 crank tooling not interchangeable, webs are different diameter, stroke is different, big end pin size is different
both are more straightforward than the triple cranks though being twins
 
500 and 750 crank tooling not interchangeable, webs are different diameter, stroke is different, big end pin size is different
both are more straightforward than the triple cranks though being twins
Thank you but I would like to probe one step further. Understood that the Breganze 500 and 750 twin cranks are different.

Question was how close are the Breganze 500 twin cranks to Zane' era 668/750 motor cranks. While stroke was increased, did other dimensions related to the tooling needed to service the cranks change so that a totally separate set of crank press tools are needed for the Breganze 500 versus the 668/750 Zane's?

Put another way, to offer a crank service for Breganze 500 and 750 twins and triples plus Zane' twins, are three sets of press tooling needed or four?
 
Please correct all that I say that is wrong about Zanes!

The bigger problem is not tooling for the Zanes but parts to fix them?

The crank pins are out of round and need to be reground smaller. This requires either a crank grinder or cylindrical grinder?

Special oversize rollers are now required. Where can you get them?

The rods can not always salvageable due the the big end being to far worn?

If the rod is scrap, are factory, Carrillo or any other new rods available?

Once the crank is fixed, there are many other problems with the motor still to be fixed? What these other areas of the motor that need attention, I don't know?

I have only ever seen one running Zane and about 10 dead ones in 15 years. I remenber seeing them new at my local dealer but never seen one on the road back then. This dealer is long since out of business. I have never ridden one, owned one or worked on one. I am not aware of any dealers who sold them new that still exist who could offer guidance.

I am not aware of anyone but OCT who will touch them??????????
 
Last edited:
All valid re: Zane era bikes & one additional thought from a business POV-those bikes are peanuts to buy so finding owners who would/could justify the $$ for a crank rebuild are unicorns. At least 750/180/120 bikes have a respectable value & engine rebuilds make some sense.
 
Back
Top