Doing an Arnie (I'll be baaaack)

neilmc

Junior member
Location
Tasmania
Testing, testing.

Last posted about 2011, when I was talking about reimporting my 1200 to UK. Had some comment from Aussie heroes whether a 1200 was even worth having, was a bit upset so hence a gap of 15 years on the forum; and 1200 languished in the shed as well. Reading recently somewhere that the fastest Laverda was a 1200T that with a bit of work hit 154 mph, so feel somewhat mollified, and hopeful that the Jota hero lot are feeling a bit more sensitive. Got the 1200 from Slaters in Bromyard in 1991, Richard Slater was fantastic, picked me up in his jag from Bromyard when I went to pick it up. When I was test riding around Collington ended up in the middle of the local hunt with the English 'mufflers' supplied. Some very nervous horses. Also used to take my 1200 to Croydon to Motodd when I was in London 1991 - 93; in the shop was the 1200 race bike they were tuning and racing at the time. The Kiwi mechanic who was doing the race bike, (Peter Clark?) red headed guy, in 93 offered to rebuild the 1200 to 120 degree, 4C, smooth bore carbys, balanced, high comp pistons etc for 1000 quid, which at that time would have been tight, small child etc. Been kicking myself ever since. Ah well. Now time to get 1200 sorted, it had new 10:1 pistons in 2008 or so, still not run in. Now at 75 time to do a few more miles.
 
120 degree engine would not have worked real well solid mounted in your 1200 frame, wise decision not to do that

nothing wrong with 1200's, they respond really well to basic upgrades like high compression pistons and 4C cams, modern ignition, Mikuni carbs etc, lovely bikes

Great part of Australia to own a Laverda, awesome bike roads in Tasmania
Welcome back
 
Looking for a jota in the UK back in mid 80s, didn't find a nice one and needing as triple for a run down to the Bol d'or I ended up with a nice 1200.
Unfortunately crashed it badly just after buying it and not long before the run south but did get it back together for the trip. Never felt the same, probably a bent frame, but what a fantastic motor so after a year perservering it ended up in a Motodd Mk3 frame. Now that is a fantastic combination. 40 years later I'm still riding it. Now with a few of Red's goodies in the motor and weighing 200kg it flies. I reckon the 1200s were the best motor. Wish I had the roads available to you in Tassie. The Motodd has done a lap around Tassie. Really enjoyed that.
Lucky you didn't go down the 120 option as 180s are way better!!! Any 120s arriving at Red's shed usually leave in 180 format.:D
 
Looks just like my first Laverda - a black 1200. I sold it to a bloke in Darwin when I bought my Jota in 2007.

Trying to figure out where in Tassie you are from the photo with the building in the background. It kinda looks familiar, but could be anywhere. My guess would be somewhere down the D'entrecasteux Channel or the Huon River estuary.

Cheers,
Cam
(Bellerive)
 
I’m hoping I’m not going to have too many tech issues to post about on the tech forum, thought I may have a Witt ignition problem, Witt is from about 93, so potentially. I do have new coils and other bits from Wolfgang from years ago to fit first. Bike is on the East Tamar ATM. I haven’t really had the time to do much bike related but have decided that needs to change.
 
Lucky you didn't go down the 120 option as 180s are way better!!! Any 120s arriving at Red's shed usually leave in 180 format.:D
funny you say that, right now I have 5 x 120 cranks in my workshop to do, 2 are still in their motors
the other 3 are bare and all the owners want them to be phased back to 180 degrees and 2 of the owners want them lightened by 4.5kgs
 
I guess most important reason converting most of the 750s for 90 degree crank and 120 degree machines for 180 in Australia is just to get a badass sound.
However I think one weakness in 120 degree machines is that they vibrate through the entire rev range despite rubber mounts.

In Finland the bikes remain the original phasing and the badass phased Laverda engines are made at Linnavuori factory in city of Nokia for the combine harvesters. The model range used to include 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 cylinder engines. As far as I know the 3 cylinder version had a 120 degree crank. The 5 cylinder crank is like a six cylinder crank without one centre pot, therefore similar to ones actually used by several manufacturers. The seven cylinder crank is like straight 8 without one centre pot. The number of cylinders was chosen according to the needed power. Not sure if these are still in production or if these are superseded by new models.

-Jouni
 
Looks just like my first Laverda - a black 1200. I sold it to a bloke in Darwin when I bought my Jota in 2007.

Trying to figure out where in Tassie you are from the photo with the building in the background. It kinda looks familiar, but could be anywhere. My guess would be somewhere down the D'entrecasteux Channel or the Huon River estuary.

Cheers,
Cam
(Bellerive)

Cam,

I was in contact with you in 2019?? (or thereabouts) about coils, you kindly offered me the use of your spare ones. I ended up getting new coils from Wolfgang in 2019.
Have decided I need to sort the 1200, was thinking of just selling it but better to fix everything. Wasn't on the forum much in the last 15 years or so, been busy and between Tas, UK and NZ, was actually doing some teaching in UK for a while in the teens.
Bike is in Swan Bay on the Tamar.
 
Hi Neil

Blimey, I must be going senile. I don't recall our conversation about coils.
Somewhere on the Tamar would have been my third guess, considering the width of the estuary in the background. Apart from a good mate in Burnie with a 3C, most of the Tassie Laverda folks I know are in the south of the state.
Good luck with the 1200. Give me a shout if you need a hand with anything.

Cheers,
Cam
 
Oh my God—to be that stubborn and hold a grudge like that, you really ought to check if you have any French or even Irish ancestors.
You’d fit right in with Napoleon’s Old Guard—one of the old *grognards*.
As a Frenchman, I salute your determination.
Welcome back, and nice bike.
 
Back
Top