Dumb question: RGS head bearings, install height?

It is a slighty dished washer to cover the bearing a bit. It basically prevents (most) dirt getting at the otherwise exposed bottom tapered rollers. Ideally I replace them if they've had prior mutilation.
 
Ta Steve. So not a cup washer like the top one, then, only slightly dished?

(In which case, I think I can carry on ...)
 
Indeed, not cup but lightly dished. Pack the taper bearing full of grease and you'll be fine 😊
Just waiting for someone to suggest waterproof stuff 🙄
 
The Stainless bolt bloke in England, forget his name can supply a really nice bigger cover that protects the bearing really well.
 
Understood Craig.

Yes, a dished dust cap that relies on being filled with grease to keep crap out of the bearing.

I have them here in stainless steel if you want one. Gotta be quick though, off for a holiday tomorrow morning!

piet
 
Ta, Quentin and Piet. However, it's not the seating washers, the ones that go into the headstock - those as you say, I will just hammer flat again.

It's the 'Rondella protezione', specifically the one that fits below the bottom bearing. Number 6 in the illustration ...
OK, Gotcha. I sourced special sealing washers for my lower clamp bearing. Can't remember the name of them but they are thin metal and the OD bears lightly on the outer race of the tapered bearing. I'll see if i can hunt out the name of them.

Got it - Nilos rings. Good kit.
 
Understood Craig.

Yes, a dished dust cap that relies on being filled with grease to keep crap out of the bearing.

I have them here in stainless steel if you want one. Gotta be quick though, off for a holiday tomorrow morning!

piet
Well, yes please Piet, if I've caught you in time!

And if you have any of the other washers, the bearing seating ones, I'll take two of those at the same time.

Have a good holiday!

P.s I'll email you as well ...
 
OK, Gotcha. I sourced special sealing washers for my lower clamp bearing. Can't remember the name of them but they are thin metal and the OD bears lightly on the outer race of the tapered bearing. I'll see if i can hunt out the name of them.

Got it - Nilos rings. Good kit.
Ta Quentin. "Live and Learn". Never heard that name before. I reckoned they had to exist, but without the name, I was searching Tinternet looking for the proverbial needle ...

Hopefully Piet will sort me out anyways. But thanks again.
 
And for anyone - is there anyone? - still following this deeply esoteric topic, here's what the SKF website says about Nilos rings:

"All-metal seals protect bearings from contaminants.

Designed to keep dirt, dust, debris and other abrasive contaminants out of ball and roller bearings, all-metal NILOS-Rings help extend bearing uptime in the harshest operating environments and industries. Precision-manufactured for robust durability, standard NILOS-Rings are produced from galvanized steel. Stainless, brass and other specialized rings are also available.

NILOS-Rings can accommodate a range of single and double-row bearing types, including:
Self-aligning ball bearings
Deep groove ball bearings
Angular contact ball bearings
Four-point contact ball bearings
Magneto bearings
Cylindrical roller bearings
Spherical roller bearings
Self-aligning roller bearings
Taper roller bearings".

So you can't say you don't know ... ;)
 
Back
Top