Early GT tank

eabergman

Full member
I'm looking for an early Laverda 750GT tank to fit a 1969 American Eagle. Not sure exactly what "early" is in this context, but there was a change in the frame at some point.
 
I'm looking for an early Laverda 750GT tank to fit a 1969 American Eagle. Not sure exactly what "early" is in this context, but there was a change in the frame at some point.
Hi Eric,
69 might be first type.
What do the rear engine mounts on the frame look like. A photo is worth a 1000 words.
Paul
 
Photo always best, but can also ask if frame number is stamped horizontally (early GT) or vertically (GT with narrower S frame).

Marnix
The serial number (1688) is stamped horizontally. Paul, can you see what you are looking for in the attached photo of the frame? I will go take a better one if not. These were quick and dirty, with poor light.

Eric
 

Attachments

  • 1969 American Eagle 750SS - 2 of 2.jpeg
    1969 American Eagle 750SS - 2 of 2.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 1969 American Eagle 750SS - 1 of 2.jpeg
    1969 American Eagle 750SS - 1 of 2.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 34
The serial number (1688) is stamped horizontally. Paul, can you see what you are looking for in the attached photo of the frame? I will go take a better one if not. These were quick and dirty, with poor light.

Eric
That would be a first time wide frame then Eric. It would have specific side panels as well to go with the curve of the rear rail.
Do you still come to France occasionally?

Paul
 
:p
I've been trying to sell one, with a pair of side panels, a frame and engine with matching numbers for a while now, for not much more.

Paul
Yes, that does seem a bit pricey, especially when imagining what the shipping cost will be from England and then the cost of painting it. I'm waiting to hear from Wolfgang Haerter if he has one, but I'll keep an eye on this one. Is it the width of the cavity under the tank that is the critical dimension? Similar to slimline vs wideline featherbed frames for Nortons? As for travel to France, Paul, we sold the house in Auvillar in 2014 and I have not been to France since then. But we've started doing some international travel again and a visit to France is always an appealing idea.

Eric
 
Yes, that does seem a bit pricey, especially when imagining what the shipping cost will be from England and then the cost of painting it. I'm waiting to hear from Wolfgang Haerter if he has one, but I'll keep an eye on this one. Is it the width of the cavity under the tank that is the critical dimension? Similar to slimline vs wideline featherbed frames for Nortons? As for travel to France, Paul, we sold the house in Auvillar in 2014 and I have not been to France since then. But we've started doing some international travel again and a visit to France is always an appealing idea.

Eric
Were you to pass through France, you could put a tank in your hand luggage. A guy from Chicago who used to come over regularly a long time ago. We'd go out for a meal when he was here, went home with a first type GT tank from me.

That tank is a bit pricey. Shipping, plus paint plus brazing the seams since those early tanks are brazed, not welded. Not to mention the £ which is hopelessly overvalued.

Paul
 
I thought I should wrap this thread up by saying I took delivery today on an early GT tank in very good condition, offered by Larry Pepper. It fits the American Eagle frame perfectly and came with the cap and a newly chromed rack. I will only need knee pads for it, which Wolfgang has. The tank has been repainted at some point, but it's in such good condition I will keep it that way and paint the side panels to (sort of) match.

Before Larry came forward I bought an early GT tank from Björn Andersson. It has not arrived yet. It is in much rougher condition (and cost much less), having one pretty serious dent and another lesser one. I did some research on local guys who are skilled in removing dents and I will probably try to put Björn's tank into serviceable condition and store it away until someone else needs one of these rare tanks.
 

Attachments

  • KIMG1740.JPG
    KIMG1740.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 26
  • KIMG1741.JPG
    KIMG1741.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 26
  • KIMG1753.JPG
    KIMG1753.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 26
I thought I should wrap this thread up by saying I took delivery today on an early GT tank in very good condition, offered by Larry Pepper. It fits the American Eagle frame perfectly and came with the cap and a newly chromed rack. I will only need knee pads for it, which Wolfgang has. The tank has been repainted at some point, but it's in such good condition I will keep it that way and paint the side panels to (sort of) match.

Before Larry came forward I bought an early GT tank from Björn Andersson. It has not arrived yet. It is in much rougher condition (and cost much less), having one pretty serious dent and another lesser one. I did some research on local guys who are skilled in removing dents and I will probably try to put Björn's tank into serviceable condition and store it away until someone else needs one of these rare tanks.
Don't loose that filler cap and make sure that the air venting is free. It doubles as the overflow, a tube to the rear of the filler.

Paul
 
Marnix, I can't tell if you're pulling my leg or not, but your comment caused me to compare the cap that came on the original Super Sport coffin tank of my AE and the cap from Larry's early GT. They are different (see photos), but they are interchangeable. In the photos the top one is from the fiberglass tank. Is the one from Larry's tank not "original"? Or did they use more than one type of cap on the early bikes?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 25
Marnix, I can't tell if you're pulling my leg or not, but your comment caused me to compare the cap that came on the original Super Sport coffin tank of my AE and the cap from Larry's early GT. They are different (see photos), but they are interchangeable. In the photos the top one is from the fiberglass tank. Is the one from Larry's tank not "original"? Or did they use more than one type of cap on the early bikes?
There was only one type of cap Eric, the top one. You'll notice that there's no venting hole in the cap, hence my reference to the venting/overflow tube.

Paul
 
I always tell it like it is, Eric.

Marnix
For which I am grateful, Marnix. I get enough of a mental workout decoding some of Paul's comments. Anyway, the correct cap does have a small hole drilled near the edge on top. You can see it at about 9 o'clock in the first photo (you might need to zoom in). I have not confirmed if it goes into the inner area where it would function for venting. But I'll have a closer look today. It makes sense that the alloy one is the correct one. The other one is very much more cheaply made, not Laverda's style at all. But I think it would be functional.

Paul, I did not motice any overflow/venting tube inside the tank from Larry, but I'll have a closer look (also at the fiberglass SS tank).

Eric
 
For which I am grateful, Marnix. I get enough of a mental workout decoding some of Paul's comments. Anyway, the correct cap does have a small hole drilled near the edge on top. You can see it at about 9 o'clock in the first photo (you might need to zoom in). I have not confirmed if it goes into the inner area where it would function for venting. But I'll have a closer look today. It makes sense that the alloy one is the correct one. The other one is very much more cheaply made, not Laverda's style at all. But I think it would be functional.

Paul, I did not motice any overflow/venting tube inside the tank from Larry, but I'll have a closer look (also at the fiberglass SS tank).

Eric
My tank, doesn’t / never had an internal vent tube, but does have a vented cap..for fuel to come out the tank when you brake hard!
 
Back
Top