Elusive Bulb Holder

Rokka

Junior member
Location
Peterborough
Does anyone know the correct name, or a source of the kind of bulbholder shown in the attached ( I hope ) photos. it's from the top of the RGS instrument binnacle. There should be two I guess as there's two sockets/apertures mine only has one. Despite visiting every auto electrical supplier I can find on the www though I can't locate one. Everyone does the push and turn type needed for the actual warning lights but can't find any of these anywhere. Not th end of the world, butas I've got it out to check out the state of the tacho, I thought it wuld be good to put one in before it all goes back together but no luck so far.IMG_5936.JPGIMG_5937.JPG
 
Does anyone know the correct name, or a source of the kind of bulbholder shown in the attached ( I hope ) photos. it's from the top of the RGS instrument binnacle. There should be two I guess as there's two sockets/apertures mine only has one. Despite visiting every auto electrical supplier I can find on the www though I can't locate one. Everyone does the push and turn type needed for the actual warning lights but can't find any of these anywhere. Not th end of the world, butas I've got it out to check out the state of the tacho, I thought it wuld be good to put one in before it all goes back together but no luck so far.View attachment 85742View attachment 85743
Don’t know what the specific name/number is but look at air cooled 70s-80s BMW motorcycle clock parts vendors.
Two different sizes available through them.
 
It’s a “Wedge”, T5 I think (I can check tomorrow) and it pushes into the plastic holder. Commonly available but don’t throw away the holder… 👍
Last time I bought LED replacements off the shelf at my local electronics shop (Jaycar, not sure which “Peterborough” you’re from?)
 
I have a bulb, it's just the holder I needed and thanks to Charley I have just managed to get one from The Motor Works , though I had to pretend to own a 1984 BMW R80 RT in order to order online! £5.20 + p&p. They did have used for £2.50 but "hang the expense!" nothing but the best for the old girl
 
For interest 🤓 I have two panels that had two different bulb holders 🤪. The I measured doesn’t fit both.
The holder is a reasonably standard fitment, B8.5D, which takes the same wedge lamp, so there are a few manufacturers.
Although I’ve found some retrofit LED types which have the contacts aligned slightly differently and don’t work with the RGS dash.
 
Thanks for those Rob, worth noting that the link provided in the " improving the backlighting in the RGS instrument console " article to the blue LED bulbs, for me at least only lead to a page not found error code, they can be bought elswhere now though including Halfords I'm LED to believe, (sorry) but I'm happy with the degree of light from the std.warning bulbs anyway, I just needed that second light holder for the top general panel illumination lamps.
 
Back
Top