Elvington 1.25 mile top speed run, 11/12 Oct

That and the 1/4 mile runs would be awesome - I'd love to get some times and speeds for the SFQ.
Educate me, is the SFQ the gsxr engined SFC rep?

We're very lucky to have these facilities, courtesy of ww2 airfields. I just hope the businesses that run these events can keep going. A 270 mph Busa is pretty hard to get my head around.
 
Last edited:
Educated me, is the SFQ the gsxr engined SFC rep?
No ... that would be the owner of SFCK (a hot carbon-fibred SFC-ish special), a regular contributor on this venerable forum. I don't think his amazing bike would qualify as an SF in any speed run!!!

The SFQ is my hotrod SF-based special ... acceleration is pretty astonishing for what is basically an air-cooled, two-valve, parallel twin designed in 1966. I'm yet to do anything official re timing, but on the road in one-on-ones it never ceases to amaze me.
 
Last edited:
No ... that would be the owner of SFCK (a hot carbon-fibred SFC-ish special), a regular contributor on this venerable forum. I don't think his amazing bike would qualify as an SF in any speed run!!!

The SFQ is my hotrod SF-based special ... acceleration is pretty astonishing for what is basically an air-cooled parallel twin designed in 1966. I'm yet to do anything official re timing, but on the road in on-on-ones it never ceases to amaze me.
Thanks for that, I looked your bike up, found the photos, looks great. If it makes you smile, then its working well.
 
I was referring to the Land Speed event in the middle of South Australia, held annually if it doesn't flood, and between Q's twin and Reds' race bikes. Just getting there is a hell of a trip. It tickles my fancy just thinking about it.
 
I was referring to the Land Speed event in the middle of South Australia, held annually if it doesn't flood, and between Q's twin and Reds' race bikes. Just getting there is a hell of a trip. It tickles my fancy just thinking about it.
Reds bikes would blow Q man’s twin into the weeds Vince 😉
No contest!
 
Absolutely!! No substitute for ponies and dedicated race motors. I would never be such a tosser as to even suggest it. I'm just interested in how it would look on the timing sheet in an event like Rob's 1/4 miles and top speed runs.
Depends on gross weight, rwhp and ability.
Slick Gear changing is critical, I'm sure I could knock some tenths off with a ignition cut off in the selector to Ignitec but I'm pretty sure it's not the only thing I'd knock off, so I won't.


Top speed, a fairing means a lot and an ability to tuck in, I have one but it's hanging on the wall in 2 pieces and I like the simplicity and size of the bike without.

I did 145 mph on the Autobahn with canvass panniers and a digital speedometer ( Acewell at the time, and a sat nav) but decided to cut it out before something went wrong. On the way to Breganze. ( with fairing).
 
Gearing that tall, you need another vehicle to push you to a speed your clutch will work. From reading reports, it's not so easy, even with top-rated power. The Sydney Guzzi blokes struggled with all sorts of oddball issues with traction on the salt.
 
No doubt top speed will favour motors that have been designed and built to produce a lot of rwHP at high revs (ie a race motor). I built mine with the specific intent of broad, usable power, loads of mid range and as good a top end as I could muster with what was left (you only get a finite number of ponies; you can spread them out and sacrifice absolute peak power - as i did - or concentrate them more in a smaller window - ie top end).

After dyno runs Rex Wolfenden reckons I could get more HP if I went to larger ID headers (mine are actually smaller than a std SF, designed for gas velocity = midrange and response - well, that's my theory!). I told him I didn't need a race motor and outright horsepower - I wanted a really nice road motor, and my instructions to Phil Tainton who did my final flow and porting work were the same. I'm certainly no engine building genius, more a 'this should help' kind of thinker, so I was more than pleasantly surprised with the end result - in fact rather stunned at how good it is (or I THINK it is!).

I have ideas about whacking some bigger headers on it and comparing dyno figures, as well as building a 270 crank with some 'interesting' theoretical balancing concepts - but the reality is life isn't allowing me the time to play ... if only. I currently have 74 rwHP @ 7500rpm on Rex's dyno (which he calls 'conservative' - by comparison a well-sorted SF1 gave 43HP on his machine). It's geared high (19-36) and by my calcs would theoretically be capable of a genuine 230kph @ 8000rpm. At the Island I was hitting 7600rpm at the end of the main straight and I reckon from that point on would be a slow wind up ... but all the way up to that point it just pulls incredibly hard, so it's not so much that it has a high potential top speed, but is capable ability of reaching a 'lower' top speed very quickly - acceleration. Maybe even higher gearing would bring that peak HP rpm up to a higher top speed ... dunno. It probably helps that I weigh a hefty 62kg (eh Hooksey! :cool: )

Apologies for rambling on ...
 
Yes Q you are a featherweight😉 but the SFQ certainly pulled my weight without any trouble😎

Certainly be an eye opener too see the GUV punt your bike in anger around a short track like Broadee……. Now that would be worth whatching 👍
 
Yes Q you are a featherweight😉 but the SFQ certainly pulled my weight without any trouble😎

Certainly be an eye opener too see the GUV punt your bike in anger around a short track like Broadee……. Now that would be worth whatching 👍
Reckon the Guv could punt a Vespa round any track quicker than we of the slowboat class on our trusty steeds!
 
Back
Top