Front suspension dive!

Zakredridge

Junior member
Location
United Kingdom
Has anybody had issues with centre pipe hitting front mudguard under braking?
I have had this with my early 77 Jota and now with a marzochi shod 1200.
New springs, or pre-load issue?
 
99.9% bent frame, has suffered a head-on.

When everything is correct, the guard shouldn't touch the header with coil-bound front springs.

piet
 
I'm no expert, but my 77 3CL had the same thing. I was suspicious when I bought it because of the dented middle downpipe and thick web front wheel. But it's an old bike and these things happen.

I think the only thing to be really careful of is the welds on the headstock, mine were cracked - hence it was a bit wobbly in the handling department!

To be honest it was no biggie, some high quality welding around the headstock then a trip to Maidstone Motoliner saw it in fine fettle. I picked up a thin web front wheel too.

If you put a long metal ruler down the spine of the frame with the tank off, it should be straight. I have a photo of my bent one somewhere if you're unsure what I mean.

Somebody wiser than me will also know the correct distance from the middle of the front wheel spindle to the middle of one of the engine bolts.
 
Check ya back bone is it straight or bent like the proverbial very quick way to tell...as per Various comments
nice drawing there Wayne by the way... just need to add that one measurement from centre of front axle to engine bolt and Robert would then be your mothers brother ( sorry if I offended anyone named Bob or Robert in the posting of this comment )
 
Last edited:
It seems to happen. For sure if there was an accident involved, however, it seems also to happen to bikes with no known accident involved. More so on earlier bikes and less I think on later ones. I was once told the fork isn't stiff enough under hard braking, but as Piet says it 99% only happens when front tire is hitting something, I trust him.
 
Back
Top